Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Track vs Performance model

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:52 PM
99M3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track vs Performance model

The last couple of days I have been debating with myself if I made the right model decision. I order a Track model due to primarily the Brembo's for future stopping power with hp increases (turbo or supercharger). But I ran the numbers again and for $3k less I could have ordered the Performance model less the Brembo's and Ray's. Did anyone else order a Track vs Performance model and are you happy with the decision.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:11 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

The performance model was everything I wanted. I ordered back in January before there were pictures available of the track package, so I went the safe route with the perf package, not knowing whether the spoiler was going to be some big hideous card table.

No regrets at all. Track package is nice, but I'm not racing my car. Brembo brakes shorten stopping distance about two feet from 60 to 0 (main useful function is to resist heating to avoid brake fade -- not a problem I'm likely to encounter in day to day driving).

I'll save the $$$ for the Nismo stuff when it's available. Odds are that a few grand will get you some nifty stuff...
Old 09-05-2002, 04:28 PM
rai

I'm all about the track. I love the rays. The only way I would go against the track is if I wanted wider wheels I would then probably get the brembos as an add on and end up paying more than the stock track.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Elistan

My personal opinion is that the Enthusiast model is where it's at. I'm a track junkie and have no desire for the VDC, the 18" wheels wouldn't do me any good since I'd be getting a second set for track tires anyway, and with proper fluid, pads, and maybe some extra cooling, the regular brakes should be just fine for DEs.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:08 PM
leadfoot

I don't do a lot of track events just occassionally. But road racing at least on the track I run, brake fade is an issue and the Brembos should work well in this situation. I will be swapping the factory bridgestones for either S03's or Falken Azenis Sport's at delivery as I feel the 040's are probably not that great for this application.

I had originally considered getting an enthusiast pkg Because I think that VDC is more for of a panic situation on the street than for track driving, but after weighing buying a set of rims and tires at around 2500-3000 and the VDC/Brembos and tire monitor I am leaning towards the track model.

Of course business has just recently picked back up so maybe its just that I'm feeling a little less conservative. Either way you get a pretty great car.

Nissan marketing did a nice job as we are all taking a good look at each of the packages.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:18 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

This topic has been discussed many, many times. Do some searching and you will get just about every possible reason from both sides of the discussion.

Here is the most recent discussion I saw from a quick search.

JD
Old 09-05-2002, 09:39 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to get the Performance version instead of the Track primarily because I didn't want to get the aero package and didn't really need the extra brakes immediately. If I every want to upgrade in the future I will have much greater choice in the components.

However, I think the Enthusiast package is the best deal since I doubt I will ever need the traction or VDC that's on the performance model. I do like the 18" wheels though.

-Doh!