Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thinking abut getting a 350z sooooon =)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
turkspartan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking abut getting a 350z sooooon =)

Hi, I am thinking about getting a new 350z this summer after I pay for collage. I have been planning this for about 2+ years now and working hard. I have some questions, so if you could answer them that would be greatly appreciated.

First off I am going to start off by telling a little bit about myself and what I have been through. But if you dont feel like reading this you can go ahead and skip right on to the question.

I started saving for a car back when I was 16. I wanted to buy a car all on my own without my parents help because i didn't want people to say things like you are spoiled and wasted all your parents money on a car or anything(my parents aren't in a position to spoil me anyways). So I am driving a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE atm. And I told my dad that I wanted to sportier car because an automatic corolla is just boring me too much. He asked me what I wanted and I said Subaru WRX. And he said no. But then I thought about it for a long time and I thought hard and I decided that I didnt want that too for many reasons even though I love the car.

So then I decided that I wanted a Manual 2004 Nissan 350z. And been saving for a good amount of time now. My dad said "Son, keep the car you have now and dont buy anything else until after collage"

but back when he said what he said, I was 5 years away from being done with collage and I told him I cant wait for it. I have been trying to get him to trust me and see that I am responsible for 2 years now. I didnt want to go get a car on my own without his "Blessing" lol. Cuz that would be like spitting in his face. So finally a week or 2 ago I talked to him for the 20th time and he finally said you can go ahead and get w/e I can afford on my own. I still didnt tell him its a 350z but its fine. I am a senior in High School now and I am about to graduate.

My plan is to wait until summer, pay for collage (because thats more important then a car) and buy myself a 350z afterward. I think its a decent plan. I have decent knowledge about cars because I have been taking hands on auto classes in school.

So thats where I am right now. I want to spend like $9-10k on a car. And i think I can find one for that price around here. I will be paying it in full cash so i think that'll help.

But I have some questions.
1. Will a 2004 350z around 80-100k miles on it be fine? I know it depends on how the previous owner took care of it, but are there common problems with manual 2004 350z's around that mileage?

2. The number one thing that I want to do when I get a 350z is get some nice wheels and tires. Thats the most important thing. And the other modifications can be done some other time im not in a hurry but I really want my wheels

so the question/problem is.. I am not very familiar with wheel and tire sizes. I believe the stock wheel size are the 17" ones. I was planning on getting larger wheels, and ofcourse the tire size has to change because of it. I was wondering what wheel/tire sizes are a good match. I dont want anything too crazy but I definitely need the larger wheels, maybe by BBS but I am looking around for others too... So if you have some suggestions that would be great. A picture of it would be a bonus

EDIT: I was thinking of getting a white car with black wheels... because I really like the look of black wheels and it stands out on a white car.

These arent the wheels I want but i like the wheels where the design doesnt start out on the side and it kind of start out towards the center of the wheel like this one below... there is a silver spot then the black design starts... I am sorry I dont know how to explain that well. I believe its called the OFFSET but heres the picture.

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...k+w%2FMach+Lip

3. And last question for now. Would it be okay to get the rear tires wider then it already is so that it sticks out a little more? I know it wastes more gas, but I thought I should just ask.

Thats all I can think of right now. Thats in advance!!!

Last edited by turkspartan; 03-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 AM
turkspartan

I have been looking around, gold rims with white trims looks nice too.

Like this one, but i dont wanna spend more then 1k on wheels :/

http://www.wheelwarehouse.com/p-4240...reme-gold.aspx

Last edited by turkspartan; 03-23-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 AM
LuciaPwNs

The wheel size depends on trim model, most are 18.

You're not going to find a nice Z for that price so either sell your yota and make up the difference with the money from that to get a nice one or keep saving. I currently have my 03 Z (about 15k w/ 45k on it when i bought it) for the nice months and a beater I bought for 450 bucks for the winter months. I would recommend you do the same.

Good day to you
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
LuciaPwNs

Originally Posted by turkspartan
I have been looking around, gold rims with white trims looks nice too.

Like this one, but i dont wanna spend more then 1k on wheels :/
As a community we try to lead people away from buying "cheap" items (This aint no honda club). In the world of rims, 1k is usually about the minimum you have to spend to get something half decent. You should look for some nice used rims in the market place.

Last edited by LuciaPwNs; 03-23-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...e-posting.html

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

Q: What wheel sizes and offsets do I need?
A: Generally speaking, there are a LOT of different combinations that people are running on their Z or G.

Let's get the basics out of the way first: You need a lug pattern of 5x114.3, width between 8 and 11 inches, and diameter of 17", 18", 19", or 20".

Here are some of the more popular wheel and tire sizes (for good reason) that people put on their Z's. There is no "RIGHT" answer but there is a limit to how big or small you can go.

18" combination:
Front 18" x 8.5" , Offset +15 to +25, Tires 245/40/18
Rear 18" x 9.5" , Offset +15 to +25, Tires 275/40/18
(lower offset such as +10 in rear is possible but may require rolling)

Front 18" x 9.5" , Offset +25 to +30, Tires 255/40/18
Rear 18" x 10.5" , Offset +28 to +35, Tires 285/40/18 or 295/35/18
(lower offset such as +23 in the rear is possible but may require rolling)

19" combination:
Front 19" x 8.5" , Offset +15 to +25, Tires 245/35/19
Rear 19" x 9.5" , Offset +15 to +25, Tires 275/35/19
(lower offset such as +10 in rear is possible but may require rolling)

Front 19" x 9.5" , Offset +25 to +30, Tires 255/35/19 or 265/35/19
Rear 19" x 10.5" , Offset +23 to +32, Tires 285/35/19 or 295/35/19
(lower offset such as +23 or wider tires in the rear is possible but may require rolling)

From this, you get the idea of what is required to go with smaller wheels like 17's, (typically lighter, faster acceleration), or bigger wheels like 20's (bigger, heavier, usually makes you feel slower).

Get to know how to use the following tools and you will be able to figure out for yourself the correct offsets and tire sizes you need:
Tire size calculator (click)
Wheel Offset Calculator

Certain combinations of LOW OFFSET and/or WIDE WHEELS will require what is known as "fender rolling" or "fender cutting".
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

yup, you sound like a decent dude.. others your age get on here and make us "face palm" at least 6 times a day... but it was well written, clear, and it apparent you are new to cars, but have the right idea... read all the stickies in each of the forums and you will learn an immense amount of info and save yourself quite a bit of headache.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:35 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

oh one more thing.. at 88-100k miles, yes ,m there are some things that commonly need replacing, but the thing to know about the Z is it is indeed very well built, but rubber can only last so long.. and it will begin to require more and more parts to be replaced.. and the thing about the Z is also then when it needs something, it needs it.. period.. and it needs the corect parts to fix it.. not a buget repair car in the least, but not as bad as the parts cost on a high mileage toyota.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a plan to me. See you later.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My personal opinion is to not buy a sports car at your age. Not even getting into the whole maturity thing, but from a financial standpoint this isn't a car you want to be burdened with while saving/paying for school. It is going to eat through tires and require maintenance above what most daily drivers need. It is a well built car, but it does need to be treated and maintained well, which means more money. Plus the insurance is going to be alot higher than a Toyota as well. Gas will be more expensive too - no more 87 regular, you are going to need 91 at the minimum, and wont be getting the 30mpg you do now, more like 21-23 if your lucky.

With a Corolla the only way to go is up, so there are alot better alternatives if you want something sporty. Realistically, how practical will a two seat sports car be when you are in college? Will you be going away to school or living at home? Will you be hauling stuff back and forth, using it to go to work, meet your friends, blah, blah, blah.

Do yourself a big favor and get something that wont bore you to tears now (I understand the toyota thing), and save up the cash for a nice sports car as a graduation present.

Cars in general are a money pit, no sense getting into debt now - you will have the rest of your life to **** it all away, trust me on that.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
turkspartan

Originally Posted by LuciaPwNs
The wheel size depends on trim model, most are 18.

You're not going to find a nice Z for that price so either sell your yota and make up the difference with the money from that to get a nice one or keep saving. I currently have my 03 Z (about 15k w/ 45k on it when i bought it) for the nice months and a beater I bought for 450 bucks for the winter months. I would recommend you do the same.

Good day to you
You have no idea how much i would like to be able to add like another 5,000 dollars more, but im not in that position at the moment. I have a relative mechanic and he has his own shop, maybe he can help me out

I live in VA and I am able to find a good amount of 350z's around here but I somehow got to make sure its not screwed up.

Originally Posted by LuciaPwNs
As a community we try to lead people away from buying "cheap" items (This aint no honda club). In the world of rims, 1k is usually about the minimum you have to spend to get something half decent. You should look for some nice used rims in the market place.
I understand this is not a honda club, or else I would have just pimped up my toyota...LOL.

And I also understand what you mean by 1k is the minimum because I have been looking around for wheels and most are higher then 1k as a set. But I also realized that if you buy a package of 4 wheels and 4 tires then they tend to give a very good deal.

------
Thanks Verdict for the link bro.
------

Originally Posted by bmccann101
yup, you sound like a decent dude.. others your age get on here and make us "face palm" at least 6 times a day... but it was well written, clear, and it apparent you are new to cars, but have the right idea... read all the stickies in each of the forums and you will learn an immense amount of info and save yourself quite a bit of headache.
Thanks a lot bro. I'll make sure I do that.

Originally Posted by myork
My personal opinion is to not buy a sports car at your age. Not even getting into the whole maturity thing, but from a financial standpoint this isn't a car you want to be burdened with while saving/paying for school. It is going to eat through tires and require maintenance above what most daily drivers need. It is a well built car, but it does need to be treated and maintained well, which means more money. Plus the insurance is going to be alot higher than a Toyota as well. Gas will be more expensive too - no more 87 regular, you are going to need 91 at the minimum, and wont be getting the 30mpg you do now, more like 21-23 if your lucky.

With a Corolla the only way to go is up, so there are alot better alternatives if you want something sporty. Realistically, how practical will a two seat sports car be when you are in college? Will you be going away to school or living at home? Will you be hauling stuff back and forth, using it to go to work, meet your friends, blah, blah, blah.

Do yourself a big favor and get something that wont bore you to tears now (I understand the toyota thing), and save up the cash for a nice sports car as a graduation present.

Cars in general are a money pit, no sense getting into debt now - you will have the rest of your life to **** it all away, trust me on that.
I believe that buying a sporty car has nothing to do with age has everything to do with responsibility.

And when it comes to the financial part, I understand it costs a lot more because my friend who is a little older then me has a 2005 350z, and I see what he goes through.
Also you may think someone at age 18 doesnt make enough money for this car since most people my age gets like $8.50 an hour on average. But right now i work in a restaurant and get paid with tips and I am thankful that I make much more then that. Plus i will also be getting a new job hopefully which may enable me to make even more money. I hope it goes well. And I will not be counting on my 2nd job to pay for my car. Only reason why im going to get a 2nd job is to make some extra bucks in the summer instead of getting drunk and all of that useless stupid crap.

I have already thought about insurance and its not gonna be much higher then the insurance i have atm, so im happy about that.

I understand you are trying to help me out and are pointing out some major points, and I will consider all your advices. Thanks for taking your time to help bro.

I have considered other 2 door cars but scions and celicas and all that seem like they are stuff that any teen can get. I actually will be taking care of my car and it has become a hobby of mine.

THANK YOU guys for all of your advices.

I was going to say something else but I forgot
Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cliff notes?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
cliff notes?
+1 lol
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
foshau23

I don't think you realize how much of a financial commitment this is. You're already barely at the cusp of having enough money to buy the actual car. Then you factor in all the maintenance costs, gas costs, etc. If you have to buy new tires, which you probably will when you're buying a car with 100k miles on it, that's another grand down the drain. Plus, once you get into college, you can make money but not nearly as much as you think you can. You shouldn't sacrifice school by working 30 hours a week so you can have this car. I'm telling you, it's not worth it. Concentrate on school for the next 4 years and enjoy your toyota. If you do well for yourself, you can buy a nice new Z.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Phill361

Received 1,242 Likes on 944 Posts

Collage =/= college.

Good luck on finding your Z. You'll love it.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

determining the correct spelling of college and other proper
nouns far outweighs your need to drive a sports car which
you clearly cannot afford.

maint/gas/ins/reality in this car easily run into the $3-400/month
territory if you don't brake anything major which you will.

continue saving and learning. come back in the future.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM
turkspartan

I like how people hate on me for misspelling 1 word
I was typing as i was thinking of what to say its not like i proofread what i wrote :/

But anyways I easily make a couple times more then what you stated above. I could go over 10 grand but then i would have to wait a little longer, but if thats what i gotto do ill do it.
This idea isn't something I just thought of in 1-2 days. I have been planning it for 2 years now, it's too late to let it go. Specially after all that hard work I put into work and getting A's in school while i worked after school. A lot of people are making the money the problem, but I really dont think it's the problem in my case.

I feel like there's something wrong with me honestly, because I dreamed of this car soooo many times lol. And I am not exaggerating when I say there isn't a day that goes by without me thinking of having a 350z. I am just too into it I guess.

Even though my dad didn't want me to buy this car before for 2 years, I used to say to myself that if i really wanted something then i could achieve it no matter what, so I cant back down.

The only thing I am concerned about is getting a 350z in good shape....Not the financial side, as I have stated above that my best friend has had a 350z for over a year now and I know what it takes to take care of it as I have been with him every time he went to a mechanic or got something changed.

Sorry if I made any of you face palm, I am trying to be mature about this by not wasting any of my parents money on a car I dont need(yes, i said i dont need it, but i really do want it, just like all of you.) and working hard to get what I want and not acting like I know it all, but instead of getting advices I seem to be getting grammar help by multiple people on one word :/ And I also understand that you are doing it because I am much younger then you and you are trying to beat on me for it, because you think it's all about age and nothing else.

I still respectfully will think about what you said though. Words don't just go in one ear and go out the other.

Last edited by turkspartan; 03-24-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you insist you should up your pricepoint to 11-12k..

at least you'll be looking at cars that don't need MAJOR suspension redux -
i.e. no endlinks, all bushings, bearings, etc. this is easily $2k of work + parts.

also get an insurance quote.

if you have a job getting a loan for $6k of the $12k is an option and will leave
you some float. you'll need a safety blanket for accidents, ****ups and other
**** that will happen.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
turkspartan

Oh before I forget, I have also calculated how much money I would save if I stuck to my Toyota. I calculated insurance and gas and some maintenance and the tires. It equals to about 3 months of working after college.

Plus I also think of it this way. If I wait until after college like my 28 year old cousin did, I am not going to be able to enjoy my car as much as if I bought it during college.

Because think about it, after college I plan on getting married. Once I get married I got to start worrying about paying for a house, then most likely a kid( or two ). Then if I start a family like I want to, I cant be going around riding a car with 2 seats. My cousin was just planning on selling his Lexus IS350 because he isn't sure if he can handle it any more.

So after college I have bigger plans then spending all my money on a car, I rather spend it on getting my life started and starting a family. If you cant respect my decision of buying a car now, I hope you can respect my decision of what I stated above.

Oh and don't forget the cost of marriage, that's more then a brand new 370z..........

Last edited by turkspartan; 03-24-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 AM
turkspartan

Originally Posted by lgear080
if you insist you should up your pricepoint to 11-12k..

at least you'll be looking at cars that don't need MAJOR suspension redux -
i.e. no endlinks, all bushings, bearings, etc. this is easily $2k of work + parts.

also get an insurance quote.

if you have a job getting a loan for $6k of the $12k is an option and will leave
you some float. you'll need a safety blanket for accidents, ****ups and other
**** that will happen.
Thanks bro that's what I like to hear I rather not get a loan since its like 14% or something. I rather save my money then just buy it straight up cash. And I will raise it to over 10k, but like I said my relative has a car shop and he bought his son an m3 for 10k and fixed it up. He said he is more then happy to help me out.

Last edited by turkspartan; 03-24-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Default well..

hers the only question you asked from your initial post tho:

But I have some questions.
1. Will a 2004 350z around 80-100k miles on it be fine? I know it depends on how the previous owner took care of it, but are there common problems with manual 2004 350z's around that mileage?

Will a 2004 350z around 80-100k miles on it be fine?.. who knows? No clue.. but what we are saying is that a high mileage car will undoubtedly have far more issues than a lower mileage car, and at 80k miles, theres stuff that is going to be beat dead on that car, or ANY Z.

I know what youre asking.. you love the car, and have 10k for it,and reeeeealy want someone to tell you that you'll be fine and to just buy the car and youre in perfect luck.. but its simply not the case and would be bad advice to tell you so.

80-100k mile car?
You should change plugs, flush all fuids, change belts, and several rubber bushings under the car, compression rods etc.
Now what about the AC compressor?
Does the engine have the leaky valve cover /plug tube issue? Bet it does..
Is the rear subframe bushing leaking? Betcha.
Are the compresson arm bushings in front shot.. betcha.
Does it need new pads and rotors and fluids.. of course.
Drain the diff? Yep.
Are the shocks and springs ready for repair?

heres the simple math.. if youre a tuner and are going to replace tons of stuff ANYWAYS for upgrades, then buy a higher mileage Z and tear into it.

If you want to buy a car, dink w wheels etc and focus on school etc.. spend a few grand more right now ( the parts i mentioned above are smll yet would cost thousnds to have fixed at the dearship) to get a much newer vehicle and you will be far happier and your car will last all the longer.

Its A SAFER MORE SOUND MOVE.

Last edited by bmccann101; 03-24-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking abut getting a 350z sooooon =)