2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hey I'm DreamingOfZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 10:12 PM
DreamingOfZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey I'm DreamingOfZ

Hey I'm the new guy.

I have a question, and I think I know the answer I'll get from the forum, but I'll ask anyway. My parents promised me that if I got a scholarship to college, they would buy me a new car (price range $25,000-a little over $30,000).

I am now considering only cars that:
- Are rear wheel drive.
- Have manual transmission (6 spd. pref.)
- Appealing to my eyes.
- Good build quality. Not a POS, will hold up, reliable.
- Great stock performance (don't want to have to modify anything, only mod I want is window tint.).
- 6 cyl. or higher.
- 200+ hp
- Leather is an option
- Has HIDs pref.
- Has good stock stereo (Bose, HK)
My Original List:
- 2004-2005 Acura RSX (scratched, front wheel drive, no HIDs)
- 2004-2005 Mazda RX-8 (iffy, don't like rotary too much)
- 2005 Mustang GT (no HIDs)
- 2004 350z Touring
- 2000ish Used E46 M3 (doubt I'll find one up to par w/ expectations)

I'm fond of the RSX. I think it's a nice little car, but I can't stand front wheel drive, and 200 horses is a little weak.

I'm not too keen on the rotary engine, although it revs high. Don't think the RX-8 is worth the money.

The Mustang will be completely redesigned for the 2005 model year and is supposed to have 300 hp at the fly-wheel, however, Mustang's have never had very good build quality, and don't retain value well. I just don't think it will meet my expectations for quality (aka the "foreign" feel).

I doubt I will find a used E46 M3 with low mileage for that price range that hasn't been treated poorly. If it's used I want it to be in almost new condition. My friend found a 1995 E36 M3 with low mileage in almost perfect condition, but if a Z can beat an E36 then...

Then there is the 350z. I had not started considering it an option until yesterday. For some reason I had always had this notion in my head that they started at $35,000. I'm looking at the touring package, in silverstone (ahhhh....beautiful), with black leather interior, and the only option I would get would be the side/curtain airbags. I would also have the floormats all around and the splashguards.

I just would like some input from 350z owners (preferrably touring owners) on how they like their Z.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:19 AM
rands

reading your list, you pretty much eliminated all cars except the z. it's everything you want, except for the stock stereo, which in my opinion is crap.

the real question is, do YOU like the z?

you're definitely not gonna find a used e46 m3 at this price range, unless it's a salvage title or has insanely high mileage.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:53 AM
iChiBahN
Banned

lol yea, i agree, buddy ur doin the elimination urself, why do u need the boards opinion? want a Z, get a Z
Old 12-06-2003, 03:47 AM
mcclaskz

If you are going to college, I would get an E36 M3. You will need the added room. I had a 280z in college and it was tough. I couldn't transport much, worthless 2 seats on road trips, etc. The Z is a great car and one that I love to modify and track, but in your shoes I would get something different. For me, it is my weekend/track car. What about a WRX, G35c, or maybe even a used S4. For the money, there are a lot of great sporty sedans out there.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:46 AM
matt

where you going to college?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:17 AM
dchengmd

Default Re: Hey I'm DreamingOfZ

Originally posted by DreamingOfZ
I am now considering only cars that:
- Are rear wheel drive.
- Have manual transmission (6 spd. pref.)
- Appealing to my eyes.
- Good build quality. Not a POS, will hold up, reliable.
- Great stock performance (don't want to have to modify anything, only mod I want is window tint.).
- 6 cyl. or higher.
- 200+ hp
- Leather is an option
- Has HIDs pref.
- Has good stock stereo (Bose, HK)
First, I agree with what mcclaskz said: consider whether or not you can stand having a 2-seater car in college for practicality reasons. That being said, if you can, then the Z almost fits perfectly in your criteria list except for a few things.

You can buy a brand-new '04 Enthusiast model Z that has everything on your list except for the leather, and the stock stereo (although that's pretty subjective). And if you look hard enough and strike a good deal, you can get one for less than $28000.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:39 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the Zzzz is your car. If you want to stay around 30Gs you will need to go with Enthusiast or Performance models. Only items missing in these two models from your list are good stero & leather. Both are easy aftermarket upgrades.

Only issue to consider is where you live/go-to-school. The Z is not a good foul weather car.

Goooooooooooooo for it!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:48 AM
DreamingOfZ

I'm going (hopefully, I hear back December 15th-ish) to University of Georgia. It's only an hour and 15 mins from me and if I need to do any hauling my mom has a Camry and my dad has a Mountaineer. I can get over the practicality issue...in fact, this is the time where I don't have kids or a family of my own, so I can be a little unpractical and have a 2-seater. I love the way Bose speakers sound, and wouldn't change them. I want the leather, and I want HIDs.

The Z has everything I want, and I never thought of it until now because I thought the price was $35,000 base. My dad said the price is not an issue at $33,000ish so...I'm just wondering how you guys (and gals) like your Z's? Is there anything you don't like? Are there any defects that are serious that are fixes covered under warranty? (I heard something about tire feathering?) Thanks!