Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FiX for the Bose Audio coming

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 02:15 PM
InternetABYSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FiX for the Bose Audio coming

The dealer informed me that nissan USA was coming out for a fix for the Bose audio system...i hope they get it right this tiime....after driving the car 500 miles I understand what all the complaining is about.....Yes it does suck. They need a sub woofer volume control and turn that auto tuning volume crap off.

Geez while they are at it put in better speakers and fire bose.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:18 PM
vanstorm16

This "fix" that you're referring to, is it only going to be in new cars produced? Or will they do a "recall" so to speak and fix ALL cars?
Old 09-06-2002, 02:26 PM
InternetABYSS

Default What I think should be recalled

im sure they are gonna have the dealer do the modds to cars out there and nissan factory fix the new ones....I heard the date sept 23rd....but i dont know all the details.

One good thing is that nissan usa has been made aware of the problem.

My complaint and Fix I want

1. remove the auto adjust or put and on/off button

2.seperate control to turn up and down the volume of the subwoofer

3.Put two 61/2 full midrage speaker. (the rear 61/2's sound like bass only speakers and you can barely hear em.)

4. a higher quality 10 inch sub in there. ( bose needs to learn something from JLAudio- the sub sounds like its about to blow out and I have had the bass set in negative volume.)
Old 09-06-2002, 02:51 PM
vanstorm16

I can see them adjusting or eliminating the auto-volume but do you seriously think that they'd change out the speakers?

From all this talk about the crap system, I'd love it if its true!
Old 09-06-2002, 04:24 PM
ATL350Z

Thank god they might do something about it. Almost all of my posts so far have been about the miserable Blose system. It is currently the only major problem I have with the car. Most of the other things are minor and can be ignored or forgiven, but the fact that I can't turn on the freaking radio out of fear of the silly auto-level system cannot be overlooked.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:43 PM
BILZ Z

Soooo glad to hear this. I haven't rec'd my Z yet, tomorrow or Mon, and I was planning a changeout of the head unit.. Maybe I won't have to after all. Just the rear speakers.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Originally posted by Intrepid
Someone PLEASE explain this auto volume thing in detail. Thanks!
The audio volume increase as a function of ambience noise (revving, cruising) and vice versa (idling).
Old 09-06-2002, 11:26 PM
roberto350z

new sub like JL AUDIO?!?! Dood, pass the pipe!
Old 09-07-2002, 08:38 AM
BILZ Z

Just picked her up this AM, afraid to turn the base to any other setting than "0". Will wait for the fix before I get pissed off at it and take a size 8 to the head unit.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:53 AM
VaGentleman

On another site it was posted by second hand info from guy who heard from a guy that works at Nissan that the problem with the sub-woofer would be fixed by either swapping out the existing sub-woofer for one w/ less power or replacing the amp(s) to the sub-woofer.
Old 09-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Originally posted by VaGentleman
On another site it was posted by second hand info from guy who heard from a guy that works at Nissan that the problem with the sub-woofer would be fixed by either swapping out the existing sub-woofer for one w/ less power or replacing the amp(s) to the sub-woofer.
If Nissan fix the problem by substitute a less power amp, that would be cheating on the spec. The system is rated at 240W and I recalled the subwoofer amp is part of that rating.

Same analogy can be applied to the following: Nissan found some problem with the tire or car handling and decided to fix the problem by detune the engine to 200 hp.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:29 PM
ATL350Z

Besides, I can't see how modifying the gain to the sub, either through speaker or amp replacement, will have any affect on the fact that the radio shows no intelligence in its control of the EQ and volume settings. I think that is the core of the problem.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:27 PM
VaGentleman

This is what I could get from another board:

I asked one of the participants on this forum (happens to be a Nissan employee) about the Bose system and whethere NNA is aware of the problem. In a nutshell, he thinks NNA is aware of the problem and, from what he can gather, is considering how they might fix it. Don't take this post to be more than anything that it is. I did not directly confirm with NNA that this is what they are considering, but this is probably the only potential fix any of us will hear, until there is a service bulletin by NNA. His reply to my question is below. My guess is that many of the service reps at NNA have not yet been informed. So, if you are having trouble with your system, try to keep your cool until NNA makes a public announcement. Easy to say from a guy like me who has not yet received his car. :-) Regards.

His reply
If the problem you are referring to is with an excessive amount of BASS being heard, NNA is aware of a problem with some stereos. I believe it is the separate amplifiers for the sub-woofer that is malfunctioning. Although there is no service bulletin on the matter, the proposed fix today is to replace the sub woofer speaker itself with a less powerful one, or replace the amp. They know about the problem, but no definitive direction as of yet other than what I mentioned.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:42 PM
BILZ Z

I'm guessing that it would be prudent, if not wise, to make an official complaint with our dealer regarding the Bose. This way we are on record with them that a problem exists with our stereos. Once the fix is announced, I'm guessing we'll have to call them, due to the fact that they (dealers) haven't had the decency to keep us updated about anything regarding delivery of our Z's.

Let's hope it happens quickly, I'm getting tired of listening to "Talk Radio".
Old 09-08-2002, 05:57 PM
AdamLotz (Z FIEND)

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Bose stereo yet, but someone mentioned that it sounded like the rear speakers aren't putting out much treble.. that's an interesting observation, and quite likely it could be accurate - and intentional.

The positioning of the rear speakers is a little bizarre. In an ideal world, you want the sound to "seem like" it is coming from in front of you. A lot of your directional sense is related to the upper frequencies. If the speakers directly behind your head were full-range, you would hear a lot more of THAT speaker and a lot less of any others. It would also seriously hamper the stereo effect, since you're effectively 5x closer to a single speaker than you are to the other 3. (again, ideally you'd be in the center of all of them)

Anyway, the point to my musing is that you don't always WANT treble to be coming from the rear speakers, especially if there is no rear passenger area. Stereo sound is just that - stereo - two speakers. If everything were perfect, there would be two very good speakers located right on the A-pillar, and that's all you'd ever need in your car. Since car cabins are a little restrictive, you have to get creative with the use of space and sound... If in fact the rear bose speakers do NOT put out much high-freq sound, that may be a good thing and as designed.

Of course, that's still no reason for everyone to hate the stereo so much... but sounds like there's a real problem there.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:00 PM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

InternetABYSS,

While I don't yet have my Z, and therefore can't appreciate the true nature of the Bose problem....putting full range 6 1/2's in the rear would be a bad move. High Frequency sound is very directional ....meaning that a human can easily tell which direction that it's coming from.

...This is why tweeter placement is critical in a great setup...while the subwoofer sounds fine in the trunk...

Making the rears full range would confuse the sound stage, especially due to the proximity of the rear speakers to the drivers head...more than likely, sound would reach your ear from the rears first, and be noticeable...and would end up making it sound even worse.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:02 PM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

hehe....AdamLotz you beat me to it....
Old 09-08-2002, 06:40 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Great news, Jason. Thanks for staying on top of it!

All, I can confirm the stand-alone amp for the sub. Also, it is the WEAKEST looking sub I've ever seen in my entire life. Don't ask how I know, I just know.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:30 PM
z461

So should I install my new stereo this Tuesday or just go ahead and wait? I was going to get line out converters, seperate amps, a new sub, sub baffle, and components up front --but keep the stock head unit.

Quick Reply: FiX for the Bose Audio coming