Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What happens when family drives your car

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
dizenman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
+2 on brother lying about the cat story...
Normally I would agree with this. It is just in such a weird place that he spun, that it is the only thing that makes any sort of logical sense.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Hitting an animal is no fault but you still have to pay the deductable. Me paying $500 because a pet owner did not have their pet on a leash would suck. Not hitting the pet and destroying the car turns it into a single vehicle accident, still out $500 and will have higher insurance costs for the next 3 years. I'll hit the pet.
Money is money. Killing an animal is far worse to me. I'm not thinking about just the owner's feelings. As someone who has always owned animals, I would never wish something like being hit by a car on them.

I could care less about money.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
Money is money. Killing an animal is far worse to me. I'm not thinking about just the owner's feelings. As someone who has always owned animals, I would never wish something like being hit by a car on them.

I could care less about money.
I own many animals as well. I currently have 3 large dogs, a cat and 2 monitors. However, It is the owners responsibility to keep their animals in check. additionally, certain animals are nuisances. In a friend of mines neighborhood there are a few cats that wait on the side of the road for cars to come by, and dart in front of them when they do. I would have no second feelings about hitting one like this as they do it on purpose.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dizenman
I own many animals as well. I currently have 3 large dogs, a cat and 2 monitors. However, It is the owners responsibility to keep their animals in check. additionally, certain animals are nuisances. In a friend of mines neighborhood there are a few cats that wait on the side of the road for cars to come by, and dart in front of them when they do. I would have no second feelings about hitting one like this as they do it on purpose.
I'm not calling you wrong. You can kill animals all you want. I'm saying that it would weigh heavily on my conscious if I killed an animal. Spending money does not cause me to feel that way. Thus, I would rather spend money repairing a car that feel bad for killing an animal.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:26 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get many quotes and tell the insurer to stick the car up their ***
Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Kraize05_Z

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Damm that sucks to see those pictures hopefully it works out for the best. I have ran over a cat once in my Z it was about 2am heading home and I saw it dart out from the side to the road I was have been always told slow down as fast as you can without locking brakes and hope for the best. That cat had 8 lives after it hit my Z I saw it dart back and ran into a fence. My bumper in the middle was cracked badly. I felt bad hitting it but my safety is more important. I am glad your brother is ok but I doubt his story is true. 17 y/o in a Z he had to be hauling *** I know I would have if I was driving a Z at that age.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by lgear080
Get many quotes and tell the insurer to stick the car up their ***
Luckily I have Mercury insurance, who is very easy to deal with. Right now I'm using what resources i can find to be able to argue that my car, even with 122,000 miles is worth between 18 and 21,000. It's going to be a bit of an argument, but I believe between some information from NADA.com, as well as multiple similar cars in my area, I might be able to pull it off. I'm hoping for the best on this one.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get an adjuster. they are professionals. you are not.

eliminate the middleman (YOU). trust me. they'll stymie you and
you'll get frustrated and end up taking a less than exceptional deal.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

He did something entirely weird. He floored the gas and cut the wheel, while already traveling somewhere between 45-55mph...

I just saw the car, and the body shop said It's looking like it is a total. Luckily I have mercury. Now to research the highest possible price I can get for it.
Tell your brother to tell you the truth. Cuz LOL @ the swerving to miss a cat story.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
AmnCruzie

Ouch man, seriously sorry about ur car. Love the interlagos color too . But glad your bro's alrite, although if my brother did this to any of my cars, he'd be a dead man when I got a hold of him. Which is exactly why he never gets to drive any of them (only big difference here is, my bro's not 17, he's actually 5 years older than me, which makes him 29 and just as likely to wreck like a teenager Lolz)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM
MaelstrØm

I just saw the car, and the body shop said It's looking like it is a total. Luckily I have mercury.
Like we said, it's totaled.

And those parts you listed are only a tiny fraction of the price of fixing it.

BTW, if your brother took your car without your permission, it is technically property theft and destruction.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by lgear080
get an adjuster. they are professionals. you are not.

eliminate the middleman (YOU). trust me. they'll stymie you and
you'll get frustrated and end up taking a less than exceptional deal.
How much do they charge? If theyre being unreasonable at first, I will drag it out longer and get an adjuster. But If the offer I get is reasonable I'll take it.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
dizenman

I'm not going to pull that stuff on him. We have enough problems going on as it is, we dont need to add another.

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
Like we said, it's totaled.

And those parts you listed are only a tiny fraction of the price of fixing it.

BTW, if your brother took your car without your permission, it is technically property theft and destruction.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
dizenman

That's one of the reasons whatever I get next will be a manual...he doesn't even know how to start a manual. But he's doubling up hours at mcdonalds to help pay for this.

Originally Posted by AmnCruzie
Ouch man, seriously sorry about ur car. Love the interlagos color too . But glad your bro's alrite, although if my brother did this to any of my cars, he'd be a dead man when I got a hold of him. Which is exactly why he never gets to drive any of them (only big difference here is, my bro's not 17, he's actually 5 years older than me, which makes him 29 and just as likely to wreck like a teenager Lolz)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
dizenman

One thing this did teach me about z's though, they have fanatstic side safety. There was a passenger on the side that was hit. He walked away without even a scratch. No soreness or anything. When I saw the car today, the side Bent in so much the seat was actually squished.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a passenger...
He definitely lied to you. Just saying...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by Spork
He definitely lied to you. Just saying...
He could have. I still dont entirely believe him. It is just such a weird spot to spin out.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Raybrant

That blows dude...
Yeah if a stupid animal gets infront of you, either slow down until it gets the hell out of the way or run it over. Better to have a damaged bumper than a totaled car.

At least your little bro didn't actually do something stupid like drift it into a tree and it's just misfortune that caused the accident. The car does look ****ed though. You can tell that a lot of the structural members that make the chassis are deformed pretty bad... Oh well it gives you a reason to get a new car, maybe an HR...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by Raybrant
That blows dude...
Yeah if a stupid animal gets infront of you, either slow down until it gets the hell out of the way or run it over. Better to have a damaged bumper than a totaled car.

At least your little bro didn't actually do something stupid like drift it into a tree and it's just misfortune that caused the accident. The car does look ****ed though. You can tell that a lot of the structural members that make the chassis are deformed pretty bad... Oh well it gives you a reason to get a new car, maybe an HR...
I'm really pulling for a HR, hopefully nismo, or a lotus; Just need to find the right price.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,313 Likes on 2,607 Posts

He deff lied for you. I remember my friend was driving my Z @ 60 and DOMINATED a cat lol. Nobody swerves for something that small. Your brother is a liar.

Quick Reply: What happens when family drives your car