Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling an entire, 100% functional 350Z PIECE BY PIECE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
SuperCommie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling an entire, 100% functional 350Z PIECE BY PIECE?

Alright, well I've found myself in a pretty unique and amusing situation. Some years ago, I purchased a 350Z: I put down a deposit and spent years paying it off. Back at the time, I had a had a few speeding tickets, so I made a deal with a then-friend of mine that I'll pay him a bit of cash in exchange for him registering the car under his insurance. It's actually 100% legal - as long as his name is on the ownership, he can insure it and I'm automatically covered as a driver as long as I have a valid license.

So everything went well up until I decided to sell the car. As you can already guess, my friend turned out to be no friend at all - his name is on the ownership and he won't let me sell the car! Honestly, I was speechless... but that's another story. So even though both our names are on the Bill of Sale, because after the fact we decided to put his name on the ownership, I can't sell the car until he signs off on it, and he flat out won't. Anyway, like I said my name is on the Bill of Sale and I have receipts for the downpayment and all the monthly payments, so basically the car is mine.

Normally I'd take this to court, but I'm leaving the country in about 5 weeks and courts around here take at least 1.5 years to get anything done, and if he stalls it (which he will), it can easily take 3-4 years. By then the car will be worth diddly squat, and even if I sue him for the difference he'll never pay because he has no money or assets. So the way I see it, my only option is to drop the car off at my mechanic's and sell it off piece by piece. It's 100% legal because I have all my paperwork for payments, so if he makes a claim that I don't have the right to do that, it's now him who has to sue me and wait 3-4 years, and good luck to him winning that when I show that I paid for it 100%! So anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone's ever attempted something like that, and my main questions are:

- what % of the car's value will I get if I sell it piece by piece by listing each piece online and having people call me with offers?
- how much should I pay my mechanic - perhaps I can offer him say 15-20% of the cost of each part, do you guys think that's fair?
- any suggestions to help me sell it off sooner - after all that's a ton of parts

It's really sad that it's come to this - my car is a real beauty and I love it, but I've been at it for over a YEAR with this guy and I've honestly had enough: we've made absolutely zero progress, he's utterly insane, and I have no choice but to leave the country in 5 weeks for work, so I'm out of time. Wish me luck guys!

P.S. Please don't suggest that I pay the blackmailer. I won't. I'd rather pay more to the mechanic - at least I won't be paying a crook who will go on to screw more people over after he succeeds!

Last edited by SuperCommie; 07-27-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Curious as to insane guys given reasons for not letting you sell the car?
What about offering the poor guy a monetary amount for agreeing to sign instead of paying a mechanic?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 PM
mattleegee

if you have the proof of the contract i dont see how it would be a problem, taking it to court and getting it settled in less then an hour you would of course need to hire someone

you could probably make more by parting it out if you found the right buyers for everything and got a good price for parts, i bet it would take longer then 5 weeks
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Info on car
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
SuperCommie

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Curious as to insane guys given reasons for not letting you sell the car?
What about offering the poor guy a monetary amount for agreeing to sign instead of paying a mechanic?
He's not a poor guy - he's a piece of sht thief and I'd much rather give the money to my mechanic, who's a nice and honest guy!

Originally Posted by mattleegee
if you have the proof of the contract i dont see how it would be a problem, taking it to court and getting it settled in less then an hour you would of course need to hire someone

you could probably make more by parting it out if you found the right buyers for everything and got a good price for parts, i bet it would take longer then 5 weeks
Hahah under an hour... mwahahah. Sorry I'm not laughing at you, but at that idea! Around here, after you a file a case it takes about 6 months to get meeting (not even with a judge), at which you explain what the issue is and why you can't resolve it out of court. Both parties are called and they attempt to make a deal, which won't happen because I refuse to pay the ***** because it's 100% blackmail. Anyway, after the meeting it's another 6 months to see a judge, at which point the other party files a defense so that's another 6 months, and then there are 3 chances of appeals with another 6 months for each plus processing times, so like I said 3-4 years easy.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Promise your ex-friend 10% of the sale price? Seems like a better option than the time+effort of parting the entire car out plus the labor you have to pay the mechanic.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
mattleegee

what country do you live in?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
SLIdEwAyZ25

freind plus accidental discharge of a fire arm /end thread
Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 PM
red on black

You in Toronto?What year is the car?Come down to my place I will hide it for you only one province away lol.I will take brembos if you got some and your engine if its a DE or HR perhaps and tranny if its a cd009.Think about it have a nice day and good luck.

funny one for accidental firearm discharge :P
Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
MTB350z

This sounds like the start of a chop shop... and looking to us to help you figure out how much its all worth...

Lesson learned? Dont cheat your insurance and your friend wont cheat you.

/thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

When I hear stories like this I cannot believe the dumb **** people do.... how did it even seem like a good idea to put a 'friend' on the title of your car?

if you can't afford the insurance, you should have sold the car, some yrs ago....

I say you got what you had coming for being so stupid
Old 07-27-2011, 05:27 PM
red on black

Originally Posted by lgear080
whatya got partswise?

Its a full car,everything down to the last fuse and maybe even pocket change in the coin box or a pack of gum with 6 or more peices left
Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
AngelsVQ

I don't think you realize how much time it takes to part out a car.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I think if you destroy the car, and he is the owner/ insured party you may have some problems with the police.

I say it was a stupid business decision to swing this insurance set up. It's going to take a stupid business move to get out of it. Sell it. Split it 50/ 50. And lick your wounds.
Those parts are only worth what someone will pay for them. It will take time to sell them all. You will lose a cut to the mechanic.
You are pooched either way.
The way I see it, it's not worth your time and energy to salvage this.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Ak48z

Sounds like you would have an easier time finding a way to get your "friend" to sign off on it, rather than part it.

Make his life as ****ed up as you can until he signs off.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 PM
aasorah

Set it on fire.. Take a total loss... get the check before he does and skip country's!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 PM
mattleegee

Originally Posted by aasorah
Set it on fire.. Take a total loss... get the check before he does and skip country's!
i myself was going to suggest a similar scenario... mine involved a hill or a cliff ledge... BUT the problem with this is his friends gets all the chedda on that deal
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 PM
SuperCommie

Seriously guys, all I wanna know is how much a car is worth in parts? Is it 80% of value, 100%, 120%? And how many % should I pay to the mechanic?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The plan is to sell a car that you do not own piece by piece? Ok put me down for some stolen property.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
rockinbboy

^LOL!

If you can't sell the car whole, why do you think its legal to sell it part by part?

Quick Reply: Selling an entire, 100% functional 350Z PIECE BY PIECE?