2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fat SUV disapproved of my speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I'll don my Asbestos suit...

Now...
xlacrosse - Sorry bud but in my books you're wrong. It doesn't matter how fast you're going. If someone is coming up on you GET OUT OF THE WAY. It doesn't matter if it's an SUV or whatever. That SUV could even be a fire/medical or an undercover police vehicle that needs to get somewhere. People like you cause the accidents on the autobahn. You Stay out of the left lane unless you're passing. It's a simple rule and people should obey.

hfm - I don't know if you have kids or not but you really shouldn't speed in residential areas. I always make a note of doing no more than 10km's over the legal limit when I'm in a residential area. If a kid runs out and you hurt him or worse kill him you will regret it for the rest of your days. My great uncle was a truck driver in Europe and he killed a kid. He was actually under the limit because it was a residential area but the kid just jumped out and he couldn't stop it (it was loaded). To this day, when he talks about (which is rare) he still gets tears in his eyes. It's not worth it man. Slow down in residential areas.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:46 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Paul_BB_Guy
hfm - I don't know if you have kids or not but you really shouldn't speed in residential areas. I always make a note of doing no more than 10km's over the legal limit when I'm in a residential area. If a kid runs out and you hurt him or worse kill him you will regret it for the rest of your days. My great uncle was a truck driver in Europe and he killed a kid. He was actually under the limit because it was a residential area but the kid just jumped out and he couldn't stop it (it was loaded). To this day, when he talks about (which is rare) he still gets tears in his eyes. It's not worth it man. Slow down in residential areas.
Santa Monica is a funny area. Some of it is very residential, some very commercial. The court house I was going to when the incident took place was a block away. I would characterize it commercial. The street I was on was filled with appartments, no kids play on the street.

But, your point is noted and I absolutely agree with what you're saying. Nevertheless, this had nothing to do with a kid, it had to do with a woman who just wanted to pull out of her driveway before I passed through. And, she was a *****.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:08 PM
specialp

In NY metro area, the stay right unless passing rule is totally non existent. Ususally fast drivers stay in the left. In addition, we have a lot of traffic, so it is not possible to have a passing lane.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:11 PM
peterhong

I dont think anybody answered the question posed in the original post. I think when you passed the SUV and he flashed his lights, he was either giving you a compliment on your car or he was flashing to tell you there were cops present. Thats the only reason I can think of why people flash their lights. Oh yeah, or he was flashing cause your lights were off and it was dark outside.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:19 PM
longbowe

In the Bay Area, we may as well not have rules because the population has a majority of people who don't understand common road sense either because they don't speak the language, never owned a car before, or came from a different country (basically, both of the above).

I've seen 13" spinners.

I've seen a minivan that's lowered going at least 85mph on a highway that was moving around 60mph at the moment.

I've been bumped by someone who was too busy talking on her phone to slow down sufficiently at a red light.

I've seen people try to get on freeways by climbing up to 75mph while there are cars still in front of them.

I've seen people cut across four lanes just in time to avoid hitting the part of an offramp where the wall begins. Mind you, this means they never even made it across before the "V" point.

I've seen a tiny, ancient Asian couple driving 20mph in a 35pmh zone in a super-fixed-up Mustang.

I've seen gigantic blobs try to fit into Miatas.

In the end, I figure, as long as I'm a defensive driver, I've done the best I can. BTW, being a defensive driver doesn't mean driving like a grandma. It means paying attention to the road, like you're supposed to, and erring on the side of caution when there's a serious doubt.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

hfm - Oh, and I forgot to add. Way to burn the fat chick anyway. Not nice but sometimes people need to be told.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:21 PM
PoorCollegeKid

Originally posted by nigevellie
screw that. if i'm already going 20mph over the speed limit, you need to go around me, slow down, or f@#$ off. i'm not moving over. you can just suck it. this is not directed towards you personally, jedoublery, just to whoever starts riding up on me.
When that happens to me, I don't think it's worth risking some other guy getting pissed off enough to do something stupid for me to play cop and try to restrain him to a certain speed, whether it's the speed limit or not. If the guy has a death wish, it's not worth getting in his way just because I want to hold on to the moral high ground. And who knows what's going on, maybe he has his wife in there and she's having a baby, or maybe someone's hurt and he has to either get them to a hospital or get through traffic to see them. Either way, I don't take it upon myself to enforce any laws, I leave that to the people who get paid for it. But that's just me
Old 12-11-2003, 08:26 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Paul_BB_Guy
hfm - Oh, and I forgot to add. Way to burn the fat chick anyway. Not nice but sometimes people need to be told.
Yeah, I wasn't nice at all. In fact, that was probably one of the meanest things I've ever said to anyone. Sometimes, telling the truth can be cruel and, I did feel badly about that. But, like you said, sometimes, people just need to be told.

I should have handled the situation more maturely, but I was in shock by her attitude.

Was nice chatting with you.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:28 PM
350inmyfuture

yeah man, i have to agree with you, girls in the seattle and even the tacoma area are snobs

to answer your question, if it was me, i would think that the person wanted to flip me off and knew i wouldn't see it so they just flash their lights in disgust
Old 12-11-2003, 11:32 PM
nigevellie

Originally posted by PoorCollegeKid
When that happens to me, I don't think it's worth risking some other guy getting pissed off enough to do something stupid for me to play cop and try to restrain him to a certain speed, whether it's the speed limit or not. If the guy has a death wish, it's not worth getting in his way just because I want to hold on to the moral high ground. And who knows what's going on, maybe he has his wife in there and she's having a baby, or maybe someone's hurt and he has to either get them to a hospital or get through traffic to see them. Either way, I don't take it upon myself to enforce any laws, I leave that to the people who get paid for it. But that's just me
man, toootally missed my point. who's trying to restrain anybody? if you want to drive so fast, go around me. if it's an emergency, your hazards should be on. who's trying to enforce the law? i'm already breakin it by goin 70 on a 55. that's like a $115 dollar fine here in tx. i'm not gonna go faster just because someone's pushing, and on the offchance that a cop is over the next rise, get a $250 fine instead. also, here in houston, if that passing lane thing exists in the books, it's a pipe dream. no one follows it. we have "the fast lane", "the middle lanes", and "the slow lane". we're just too congested. we need like, 17 lanes going one way to even think of having a lane _dedicated_ to passing. in closing, i just want to clarify that i don't _hog_ the left lane. heck, i don't even use it that much. when i have room to move over, i move over. but if there's 3 lanes that's empty beside me, and i'm already going fast (thus using the fast lane), please go around me. BRIGHT ORANGE 350Z going faster than 70mph on a 55mph highway, well, that's just _asking_ for a ticket. depending on their mood, that's just about how much over the speed limit houston cops will allow before they take a personal interest in me.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:00 AM
ml2316

yeah bay area drivers are idiots. they don't understand highway etiquette and are competitive about driving.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:10 AM
ml2316

seattle girls are stuck up? are they hot though. thinking about moving out of the bay area, cuz girls are so f'n disgusting here (in the east bay at least) and rent is so high. wondering where to move to.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:01 AM
Beamm

Originally posted by peterhong
I dont think anybody answered the question posed in the original post. I think when you passed the SUV and he flashed his lights, he was either giving you a compliment on your car or he was flashing to tell you there were cops present. Thats the only reason I can think of why people flash their lights. Oh yeah, or he was flashing cause your lights were off and it was dark outside.
Uhh....I'm going to go with the obvious answer here.

You said that you had the lane wide open ahead and decided to give it some throttle. The obvious answer would, of course, be that the SUV was pissed off at you for driving in a way that he thought was reckless. I do this to people who do stupid **** around me all the time, let them know I'm pissed becuase there might be a time when I don't see the guy doing the stupid thing and he whacks me and f**** me up for the rest of me life. My guess is that's what he was doing.

As for the dude who won't move over. What a great attitued to have: "I ain't gonna move over cuse I don't want to". It'll take all of what, 4 seconds, to move over, let the faster car pass, and then pull back out. But it's brillant man, making people pass you on the right, totally safe. Oh yea, and make them pass in the middle lane as well. The reason we have congested roads is becuase people don't follow the unwritten rules of the road. You don't wanna go faster than 70, fine, but don't sit in the left lane and make people pass you on the right because that's dangerous for everyone on the road.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:04 AM
gooters

Default just wow

Originally posted by nigevellie
man, toootally missed my point. who's trying to restrain anybody? if you want to drive so fast, go around me. if it's an emergency, your hazards should be on. who's trying to enforce the law? i'm already breakin it by goin 70 on a 55. that's like a $115 dollar fine here in tx. i'm not gonna go faster just because someone's pushing, and on the offchance that a cop is over the next rise, get a $250 fine instead. also, here in houston, if that passing lane thing exists in the books, it's a pipe dream. no one follows it. we have "the fast lane", "the middle lanes", and "the slow lane". we're just too congested. we need like, 17 lanes going one way to even think of having a lane _dedicated_ to passing. in closing, i just want to clarify that i don't _hog_ the left lane. heck, i don't even use it that much. when i have room to move over, i move over. but if there's 3 lanes that's empty beside me, and i'm already going fast (thus using the fast lane), please go around me. BRIGHT ORANGE 350Z going faster than 70mph on a 55mph highway, well, that's just _asking_ for a ticket. depending on their mood, that's just about how much over the speed limit houston cops will allow before they take a personal interest in me.
what an un-Z like attitude. I have driven in Houston, and on many highways (55MPH), people cruise at 70 and higher even.

In DFW, certain parts especially, I cruise at 90MPH or so...its wide open and uncrowded in certain areas, otherwise, I cruise at about 80 or 85. So, please if you come to Dallas, let someone else do the driving for you. K-thx.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:12 AM
wildone_106

No you got it good in Cali believe me

" ml2316
seattle girls are stuck up? are they hot though. thinking about moving out of the bay area, cuz girls are so f'n disgusting here (in the east bay at least) and rent is so high. wondering where to move to"
Old 12-12-2003, 06:14 AM
wildone_106

That SUV I saw was in a small pack of cars already over the speed limit but I had a looong approach before I passed them even so its not like I came out of nowhere and blew by them dangerously, I'd say just a nice controlled speed but I did'nt have my foot down to the metal, I just wanted to pass that little herd of cars safely which I did, thats why I was surprised at the flash like..whats he tryin to say!
Interesting discussion here though!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:17 AM
Beamm

Originally posted by wildone_106
That SUV I saw was in a small pack of cars already over the speed limit but I had a looong approach before I passed them even so its not like I came out of nowhere and blew by them dangerously, I'd say just a nice controlled speed but I did'nt have my foot down to the metal, I just wanted to pass that little herd of cars safely which I did, thats why I was surprised at the flash like..whats he tryin to say!
Interesting discussion here though!
Yea, well, maybe he didn't see you and you caught him off guard? Remember, what you see and thought are completely different (well can be) from what he saw and thought. Maybe you just startled him? But the fact that he was already going with a pack of fast cars and you raced ahead of them probably shows that he was unhappy with you.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:26 AM
gooters

Default Re: Re: Fat SUV disapproved of my speed

Originally posted by hfm
A week or two ago, I was on my way to court driving down a street at about 35-40 mph. A big 'ol brown SUV was in a driveway to my right with the reverse lights on. Well, I just pass on through and wait at the next signal light.

The SUV pulls up next to me and this large woman starts screaming "you need to slow down on MY street! I've written down your license number and you will be in trouble!"

I look at this woman and stare in disbelief and then find myself saying back to her "you need to mind your own business you big fat *****." Geeze, I couldn't believe I said that, it's very out of character for me to be insulting an overweight person by calling them fat. Anyway, she caught me on the wrong day at the wrong moment complaining about the wrong thing.

After I said that, the light turned green and she squealed her tires peeling out. I think she needs to take her own advice and slow down
Old 12-12-2003, 07:03 AM
brgerflipr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the guy who cruises at 70 and not a bit over, perhaps you should consider another automobile more worthy of your driving prowess. Perhaps a hybrid, or better yet, a moped. I'm not condoning flying down the freeway doing 100+ and endangering others, but if you're in the left lane and someone wants to pass.....quit sipping your tea and move over.

Last edited by brgerflipr; 12-12-2003 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Pit Bull

Default Re: Fat SUV disapproved of my speed

Originally posted by wildone_106
I had lane all to myself so I felt like laying a bit of throttle, I could see an SUV up ahead must have seen me coming and tried to speed up a bit to match me but could'nt, when I saw him about 200 feet behind me he's flashing his hi-beams like I just caused a jet wash on his vehicle or something?! what the heck does the lights thing mean!

On another note, Seattle women ARE so into cars yet utterly refuse to acknowledge the presence of a Z..its more than just co-incicende I really think they're stuck up here, just venting
He was an off duty cop that wanted to control you. Part 2 - Your running into gay women. I'm old and married now so it does not matter but now that they can come out I am seeing that there are a lot of gay women. So if a women is not attracted to you they are gay sounds funny but most of the time you will find that they are married or gay. So don't let it bother you.

Quick Reply: Fat SUV disapproved of my speed