Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fat SUV disapproved of my speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Blue Liquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hfm, great story. I hate when people try to tell me what's what, I get insta-road rage. I would have said more than you. BTW, let us know if she does 'get you in trouble' by writing down your license plate. In New Jersey, you can dial *77 on your cell phone and bust people for aggressive driving. I wonder if she can attempt to do anything with just her word and a license plate number. You need her's now too in case you need to take vigilante justice.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:26 AM
marhot

Default Don't get me started on SUVs...

Generally speaking, I’ve found most people who drive SUVs have serious esteem problems to start with. They obviously have other issues they can’t cope with so they try to compensate by drive large vehicles from which they can LOOK DOWN on other people. I classic case of compensating for being “small” in other areas of their lives/personality. That is also why most SUV drivers have attitude problems. . ( I’ll just leave it there and not go further!! And I mean no offense anyone on the board who drives SUV. Obviously I’m not referring to you because you also drive a Z!)

Secondly, most people in SUVs can’t drive, especially in bad weather. Just because their vehicles have good traction in snow, they think they can stop just as well. I’ve seen many a soccer mom in her SUV slide off the road or involved in an accident caused by this false sense of security.

Third, people can’t see out of the stupid things. Especially hard to see are smaller cars, like our Zs. There are numerous postings on this forum by people who have been hit or had near misses. When I drive my Z I give them wide berth. I hate SUVs.

Peace everyone. Again, no offense to SUV drivers on this forum.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:52 AM
Pit Bull

marhot, you should not generalize. My other vehicle is a 1995 Toyota Landcruiser with over 130K miles. Why do I still have it with 130K+ miles, because it is the best built vehicle on the road. Guys in my LC club have FZJ80's with over 250K miles and no problems and that is not just on road miles that includes off road and rock crawling. I also don't live in Kansas where it is flat. I live down in the Ozarks where you need all wheel drive several times a year. I know that a lot of people buy SUV's for the size so if some idiot in a Z takes a corner to fast and does not know how to drive the SUV driver won't get as ****ed up because of the other drivers mistake. I know that I love to drive my LC and feel safer from all of the young punks driving their souped up ricer cars around like they are nuts. I really love it when I had my Dodge 3500 cummins turbo diesel with 4 wheel drive and the dually rear wheels. Figured if I had a runin with a ricer we could dig his *** out from under my skid plates. JMHO
Old 12-12-2003, 08:10 AM
brgerflipr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have an SUV, even if I didn't, I'd agree w/ PitBull. I love my Z, I love my SUV. They serve different purposes. Those generalizations are way too ignorant.

- "most people who drive SUVs have serious esteem problems to start with"
- "classic case of compensating for being “small” in other areas "
- "most SUV drivers have attitude problems"

My gosh man, just read what you wrote. There is already enough ignorance in this world, do we need to add what car we drive as another form of labeling? Geez.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:26 AM
wildone_106

Well dont be so quick to dismiss the idea that people who drive SUV's are'nt buying into the powertrip/myth thats FED to them by the auto makers and advertising (as with all cars of course) but look at the H20 hummer which is the ultimate impractical vehicle unless your in the U.S. Army...I saw a brand new one just yesterday in the Safeway parking lot, driven by some cute lil blonde doin her grocery shopping..I cant believe she was'nt duped into thinking how badass and tough she is now on the road with such a huge over exageratted hummer.

The advertisers feed on our desires to be more powerfull and "better" than the next person on the road, to look down on other motorist's is a desired position whether your aware of it or not, and people fall right into it, its just psychology

Its almost predictable though how people in SUV's will try and *prove* to themselves/you that they can still kick A** by cutting you off or trying to race you in some way, I had it alot worse when I drove a simple v6 mustang though, at least in the Z theres a certain awe inspired reaction usually. I had a guy in a new Vette hang about a quarte length beside me the other night (he was in the fast lane too) for a good 5 minutes before he pulled away just looking at the car!

Last edited by wildone_106; 12-12-2003 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

Actually Marhot, some people might generalize that driving a Z with a big powerful engine is compensation as well. It's easy to twist things.

I seriously thought about buying an SUV but really it was because of the safety factor and the new "Kill or be killed" attitude on the road. Driving an SUV is just safer (for the SUV driver anyway) but people don't have the respect it takes to realize that they're controlling a pretty significant piece of equipment and not a sports car.

SUV Drivers need to realize that if they get in an accident, they are very likely going to kill or at least injure the other party.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:37 AM
wildone_106

Thats EXACTLY the kinda thing SUV makers feed on..kill or be killed wayof thinking, not you personally I mean, its just a human nature way of thinking?

" it was because of the safety factor and the new "Kill or be killed" attitude on the road. Driving an SUV is just safer (for the SUV driver anyway) "
Old 12-12-2003, 08:50 AM
OC_350Z

Default Re: Re: Fat SUV disapproved of my speed

Originally posted by hfm
A week or two ago, I was on my way to court driving down a street at about 35-40 mph. A big 'ol brown SUV was in a driveway to my right with the reverse lights on. Well, I just pass on through and wait at the next signal light.

The SUV pulls up next to me and this large woman starts screaming "you need to slow down on MY street! I've written down your license number and you will be in trouble!"

I look at this woman and stare in disbelief and then find myself saying back to her "you need to mind your own business you big fat *****." Geeze, I couldn't believe I said that, it's very out of character for me to be insulting an overweight person by calling them fat. Anyway, she caught me on the wrong day at the wrong moment complaining about the wrong thing.

After I said that, the light turned green and she squealed her tires peeling out. I think she needs to take her own advice and slow down
The look on her face must have been priceless. The same thing would happen to CMJ when he had his Cobra. He would be going slow but the car was so damn loud, people would always tell him to slow down.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:52 AM
marhot

Yes, I am generalizing and to quote myself …
obviously I’m not referring to you because you also drive a Z….Again, no offense to SUV drivers on this forum.
I’m just commenting on my observations…

Some my by best friends and family drive SUVs

I apologize for posting using rant code.

Paul_BB_Guy Feel free to generalize about me, I know I have issues and I’m sure there are sub-conscious, psychological reasons I bought a Z. -- The major issue is that I’m finally old enough to have a mid-life crisis and I plan to enjoy it!

wildone_106 Good post, you expressed it better than I could.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:25 AM
wildone_106

I always liked that commercial for..was it the new Celica? When its just parked on the street and suddenly the dog runs into it? lol or the old man waving his stick "slow down!"
Old 12-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Beamm

I think a lot of the SUV complex is 'keepign up with the Jonses'. In my neighborhood as soon as one person bought an Acura MDX, 2 or 3 others bought it. As soon as one person bought the H2, 4 others bought one. And some kept their suburbans. I swear though, if the army ever needed a truck, just go to a suburban neighborhood where one person got it and I would bet that 3 - 4 others have that crazy truck too. And i bet a lot of it carries over to the road too...'i'm not that slow' 'i'm not that bulky' 'i can do this'.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:03 PM
PoorCollegeKid

Originally posted by nigevellie
man, toootally missed my point. who's trying to restrain anybody? if you want to drive so fast, go around me. if it's an emergency, your hazards should be on. who's trying to enforce the law? i'm already breakin it by goin 70 on a 55. that's like a $115 dollar fine here in tx. i'm not gonna go faster just because someone's pushing, and on the offchance that a cop is over the next rise, get a $250 fine instead. also, here in houston, if that passing lane thing exists in the books, it's a pipe dream. no one follows it. we have "the fast lane", "the middle lanes", and "the slow lane". we're just too congested. we need like, 17 lanes going one way to even think of having a lane _dedicated_ to passing. in closing, i just want to clarify that i don't _hog_ the left lane. heck, i don't even use it that much. when i have room to move over, i move over. but if there's 3 lanes that's empty beside me, and i'm already going fast (thus using the fast lane), please go around me. BRIGHT ORANGE 350Z going faster than 70mph on a 55mph highway, well, that's just _asking_ for a ticket. depending on their mood, that's just about how much over the speed limit houston cops will allow before they take a personal interest in me.
Things must be different in Texas than up here in NE. If you sit in the left hand lane for too long and there's no one in the lanes to your right, the cops will pull you over. Same thing for passing on the right, they'll pull you over for speeding then tack on some extra fines for passing on the right. Both of these things have actually happened to a few friends of mine and my uncle in the past year or so, that's why I don't do either anymore. Of course, we have cops all over the highways, seems like it's a bit different down there. Wasn't trying to be an *** or anything, just commenting on what I would do in that situation and why.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:18 PM
nigevellie

way different. not trying to **** anyone off either. but yeah, congestion here is really bad, there's never a time of the day we can ever really have a dedicated passing lane around here.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:22 PM
nigevellie

Default Re: just wow

Originally posted by gooters
what an un-Z like attitude. I have driven in Houston, and on many highways (55MPH), people cruise at 70 and higher even.

In DFW, certain parts especially, I cruise at 90MPH or so...its wide open and uncrowded in certain areas, otherwise, I cruise at about 80 or 85. So, please if you come to Dallas, let someone else do the driving for you. K-thx.
err. what's un Z like about not wanting to attract police attention? if the flow of traffic is going 85-90mph. i'm right there. not in the lead, but somewhere in the middle of the pack, or maybe the back. i'm sorry, i have better things to do with my money than pay tickets. what you do, is none of my concern. what i do is none of yours.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:06 PM
gooters

Default Re: Re: just wow

Originally posted by nigevellie
err. what's un Z like about not wanting to attract police attention? if the flow of traffic is going 85-90mph. i'm right there. not in the lead, but somewhere in the middle of the pack, or maybe the back. i'm sorry, i have better things to do with my money than pay tickets. what you do, is none of my concern. what i do is none of yours.
its un Z-like to stay in the passing lane when you are not passing anyone and see someone coming up behind you. I dont really care...I will likely never come up behind you so whatever. I think you might be trolling a bit though.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:35 PM
mzack

Get off the fast lane slow lane crap already. This is about those ****ers in SUVs that I see everyday in Detroit. You know all the Plant workers from Ford that are on the cell and pushing everyone out of the way.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:42 PM
zz-notop

This is for "nigevellie". Your attitude is one of the reasons Texans are so "highly thought of and repected" here in Colorado. With byour attitude you should stay home and out of everyone's way.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:03 PM
nigevellie

once again, there is no passing lane. on paper, maybe, but not in practical application. dude, i live here. i drive here. i should know. whatever. i've got no hate for anyone. so, anyone who doesn't agree with you is a troll? my bad. and zz-notop, i could care less what you and a bunch of people in colorado think of texans. i shared my opinion. you shared yours. i'm not gonna go around and attack anyone personally, that's stupid. let's just let it be. you have your opinions, i have mine. i'm not gonna try and change yours, please let this die already. this is waay offtopic now anyway. peace. no more hate. it's just a waste of everyone's time. we all drive Zs! yay for us!
Old 12-12-2003, 04:22 PM
mofoz

guys come on, to say "i hate suvs" is so childish. Unless you say "i hate cars with bad milage, or people who buy trucks for the worng reasons" it just comes off as childish. To go back to what this post was about, if you are in the left lane, and someone wants to pass you move over, thats it. He passes, you go back if you wish. If the road was as empty as you say it is, it doesnt matter what lane you're in. Gov. Rod Blagojevich just stated a couple months ago that starting in 2004 cops are looking for people who block the left lane and do not move over. Even in driving school we were taught that the left lane is for passing, reguardless of speed. And for the hate toward SUVs, many people hate them cause people buy them for the wrong reason. IE Soccer Moms. There is a large amount of SUV owners who NEED a truck, and an SUV made sense rather than a pickup. I had a 2001 Ford Explorer, and drove it fast pretty much everywhere I went. I rode the electro limiter for about 25min (which is 110mph) and the car handled fine, nothin like the Z but still fine. Some of these posts are just ridiculous and ignorant, and the guys who make them most likely havent had an suv. When i would drive by a Porsche Carrera doing 60 in the Left Lane, i though "what a waste" but you dont get pissed at them. Just let them by, cause does it really make a difference? Some people are gonna have heart attacks by the time their 25 if they get pissed at everyone who passes them, or at every SUV, or every bad driver in an suv. What if the guy who pulled up behind you was in a Saab? Would you let him pass? He wants to go faster, and the left lane is for passing.... And a few posts above talked about not being able to see out of an SUV? Have you lost your mind? Uh... Look at the rear windsheild of any SUV and the size of their mirrors, and the ability to look ahead from being up high. Now compare that to the Z. I love my car and all, but i miss being able to see as much out of my rearview, and my huge sidemirrors. I dont respect the car, i respect the driver for the most part. I had a friend who had a Volvo S70 with a T5 turbo, and we raced through traffic all the time and he always won, but he is a terrible driver. He almost pulled out in front of a semi. It doenst matter what car you drive, its how you drive it. To close this long post out, im not insulting anyone, but think the next time you hear someone say "Stupid SUVS!" and think why they are saying that. 99% of the time, its cause of the driver, not the truck.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:44 PM
nigevellie

*shaking fist vigorously* "Stupid drivers! arrggh. grrr."

Quick Reply: Fat SUV disapproved of my speed