Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My new A/T shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 03:25 PM
jacen2y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new A/T shift ****

posted a message a couple of weeks ago to ask help on how to remove the A/T shift **** but no one knew. 350zfan posted a message yesterday telling me that he asked a mechanic (since he's a Nissan salesman, "who happened to have a Z on the floor at his dealership for sale", he posted) and the mechanic said you need a special tool and that even their dealership don't have yet, so changing it was probably not very feasible. guess what, i finally figured it out without any problems at all. the special tool i needed was my HAND! no tool necessary...for those who want to know how PM me...here's a pic (kind of dark, will take better pics later) of my new momo AT shift ****...
Attached Thumbnails My new A/T shift knob-momoshifter.jpg  
Old 09-07-2002, 03:32 PM
jacen2y

Default it's kind of a joke...

in the message i posted in TECHNICAL, "350zfan" (dealer salesman) said their mechanic told him you needed a "special" tool that they don't even have...i'm just making a little fun of him...hope you don't take it too seriously "350zfan"....
Old 09-07-2002, 03:34 PM
rouxeny

Hey, that actually looks a lot better than the stock.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:27 PM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

Yes please post a how to...and where did you get that shift ***?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 09-07-2002, 05:34 PM
BRICKS Z

Default looks cool but

looks cool but resembles a vibrator
Old 09-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Todd

Wouldn't that thing get awfully hot in the sun?
Old 09-07-2002, 05:59 PM
bighamz

Nice... more pix and instuctions of what u went through would be nicer
Old 09-07-2002, 06:18 PM
RainmanZ

Hey crbrickman,

I would not have provided such validation about any knowledge of any resemblance to a vibrator if I were you .

Old 09-07-2002, 06:57 PM
jacen2y

Default Instructions for removing the AT shift ****

its easy...

1) pull down the grayish plastic piece at the bottom of the **** (where the stem meets the ****)...it's snapped on so it can be tight but it's removable so don't be too afraid to break it...(it didn't break with mine so it's possilbe)...
2) now that the plastic is off, you'll see a metal clip holding the **** in place...remove it by pulling it towards the front of the car...when you see it you'll understand how it works and removing it will be intuitive...
3) with the clip removed just pull up and the **** is removed...couldn't have imagined how easy it was...

Got it online but forgot the site...sorry...but just search on yahoo or google for "momo automatic shift ****"

NOTE: the MOMO will not fit perfect like the OEM but with a little adjustment (nothing major) it fits just fine...
Old 09-07-2002, 07:05 PM
jacen2y

Default here's pics of the OEM

the white plastic piece was an extender that you see after you take off the ****...i removed it cause the MOMO one was shorter and didn't need it...here's pics
Attached Thumbnails My new A/T shift knob-z-shift-knob.jpg  
Old 09-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Instructions for removing the AT shift ****

Originally posted by jacen2y
its easy...

NOTE: the MOMO will not fit perfect like the OEM but with a little adjustment (nothing major) it fits just fine...
Please explain the "little adjustment" in more details.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:42 PM
jacen2y

Default "adjustment"

it's the MOMO shifter that needs the adjusting...the hole on the MOMO for the stem to fit in is bigger than the stem. But MOMO provides different sized rubber fillers for you to insert into the hole so it will fit the stem snug. the problem is that the fillers i got were for MT shifters (don't know why). meaning it was not a cylinder but something more like a thimble (closed on one end). being closed on one end does not allow the button to push the actuator cause it's blocked by the closed end rubber filler. so i had to cut the closed end of the rubber filler (pretty easy) open so the rubber filler would be a through cylinder. basically that's the tough part, then you would need the provided screws to secure the new ****. this part i kind of worry cause the screws are going into the rubber filler and i'm not quite sure if it's reaching the stem to really secure the ****...but the **** isn't moving so i'm guessing it's doing its job for now...if it loosens in the future i might need to think of some change...but it's a chance i'm willing to take...and it doesn't harm the car in any way...at least i hope not...
Old 09-08-2002, 07:53 AM
Zoro

Default Re: "adjustment"

Originally posted by jacen2y
it's the MOMO shifter that needs the adjusting...the hole on the MOMO for the stem to fit in is bigger than the stem. But MOMO provides different sized rubber fillers for you to insert into the hole so it will fit the stem snug. the problem is that the fillers i got were for MT shifters (don't know why). meaning it was not a cylinder but something more like a thimble (closed on one end). being closed on one end does not allow the button to push the actuator cause it's blocked by the closed end rubber filler. so i had to cut the closed end of the rubber filler (pretty easy) open so the rubber filler would be a through cylinder. basically that's the tough part, then you would need the provided screws to secure the new ****. this part i kind of worry cause the screws are going into the rubber filler and i'm not quite sure if it's reaching the stem to really secure the ****...but the **** isn't moving so i'm guessing it's doing its job for now...if it loosens in the future i might need to think of some change...but it's a chance i'm willing to take...and it doesn't harm the car in any way...at least i hope not...
Are there 3 screws that attach it to the stem of the shifter?

Perhaps mark the locations of the screw hole in relation to the rubber filler and drill of melt holes thru the filler piece so the screws can be secured to the actual stem of the shifter.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:30 AM
Seattle_350Z

That's nice....what is the model for that Momo and where did you get it @?
Old 09-08-2002, 08:35 AM
Seattle_350Z

Default Found it!

http://www.showtimeautotrix.com/autshifknob4.html
Old 09-08-2002, 09:23 AM
jacen2y

Zoro) yeah 3 screws and i think you idea is good...i'm guessing the screws did go through the rubber but if it loosens i'll use your idea to fix it...thanx

Seattle_350z) glad you found it but i think there are cheaper sites...i got mine for 96 after shipping....really sorry i don't remember the site, it just totally left my mine are i bought the thing...
Old 09-08-2002, 05:26 PM
BILZ Z

I thought that because the AT shifter on the Z has a "Side" button and the Momo has a "Top" button, it wouldn't fit/work. how does the difference affect the install?? Does the difference in button location mean nothing??
Old 09-08-2002, 06:25 PM
jacen2y

Default bilz z

the side button or top makes no difference what so ever...no matter what the idea is to push down the actuator...whether it's a side button or top...once you remove the shift **** you'll see what i mean...
Old 09-08-2002, 06:29 PM
jacen2y

Default TODD

here's the same MOMO model but with leather wrapping...maybe this won't burn...
Attached Thumbnails My new A/T shift knob-pelle.jpg  
Old 09-08-2002, 09:47 PM
roberto350z

i tried it once, and I threw the damn shifter out cuz it kept coming loose everyday.

Quick Reply: My new A/T shift knob