Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____-

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
m3a5g0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Depending on the network connection, 30 seconds to a couple minutes per run (~1800 times) to get a total list...
That's a shame....but surely there should be some kind of policy implemented in every company that requires a trucker to document what trailers they pull, not only for company records but for instances like this?!?! That is just ridiculous that not every company does this.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM
m3a5g0

Edit: Also, unless you are looking for trailer which was reported stolen, there is no "run all states" function.
Ok, so i've always wondered... so unless there was a crime tied to a vehicle, that vehicle wouldn't be in the NCIC database?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
HDPDZO6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m3a5g0
Ok, so i've always wondered... so unless there was a crime tied to a vehicle, that vehicle wouldn't be in the NCIC database?
Correct. The vehicle would need to be entered into the NCIC database; otherwise, the only thing the officer could do is query the individual DMV records.

Also, the list (up to 1800 records) would only contain trailers (not automobiles, motorcycles, etc.). Then, once you have the list, you would then have to contact the owners for all that matched any available descriptions and have them start the process of tracking down the trailers location and driver for that particular date.

You are looking at potentially hundreds of man hours tied to one task, which at the end of the day (for this particular event) is most likely just a misdemeanor offense at best (not even going to get into the prosecution issues involved).
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 PM
m3a5g0

Correct. The vehicle would need to be entered into the NCIC database; otherwise, the only thing the officer could do is query the individual DMV records.

Also, the list (up to 1800 records) would only contain trailers (not automobiles, motorcycles, etc.). Then, once you have the list, you would then have to contact the owners for all that matched any available descriptions and have them start the process of tracking down the trailers location and driver for that particular date.

You are looking at potentially hundreds of man hours tied to one task, which at the end of the day (for this particular event) is most likely just a misdemeanor offense at best (not even going to get into the prosecution issues involved).
True, and I understand that there would be a lot of man hours for something that turned out to be fortunate, in terms of injuries, but the thing that gets me is that this guy is still driving when he shouldn't be. Who knows if he will do this again, but next time with a less fortunate outcome (someone dying). At that point, those man hours that could have been used to get him in the first place, wouldn't seem too much....

I'm not attacking you or the job you chose, just putting that out there cause sometimes text is a little more ambiguous than a face to face conversation lol. I just think that sometimes I think matters should be taken into our own hands.

Last edited by m3a5g0; 09-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

dont sweat it.. it aint for us to judge.. theres someone else for that later on

... and no ones getting anything past that guy.

Plus Karmas a biznitch, especially when you drive cross country or interstate for a living.. he will surely get his sooner than later.. you can count on that.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
gamb1t

OP just out of curiousity, are those real te37s? never seen a wheel rip like the 2nd pic...
hope you find the guy
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
k6750gsxr

They are varrs. ...
Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Legion441

Police could run even the first few digits you got and once they push "Submit" on the request in the NCIC system, it would come up with every vehicle in all 50 states with those numbers used in that particular order. However, it would make it even easier with it being registered under "Trailer" since that would narrow the field down. Those are just lazy a$$ cops. We do searches like that here on post ALL the time! Did the same with the same system back in Kentucky where I was last stationed. The NCIC system IS the DMV databse.... when you register your vehicle, it pops up instantly. When you search someone's license in NCIC, you could even pull the picture off of it

FYI: A 50 state NCIC query comes back with results in less then 5 minutes.... And with the trailer, it would tell them what company it's registered to. We do it on a daily basis here and I'm the one who runs the system....

Last edited by Legion441; 09-29-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 AM
mharvard

I don't have the plate numbers written down or anything, I shouted them to the woman on the police phone line as the *&%@#$ was driving away. And yes they are Varrstoens, but no rim would have held up against slamming into a fire hydrant going 50MPH or so. The thing barely even budged. And this accident justified getting the Varrs over Volks (being a daily driver first of all) and my insurance only covers me up to $1500 on aftermarket parts. That limit has been exceeded already (wheel(s), exhaust, c-west, n1, camber arms, etc.) I'm not saying Varrstoens are the BEST buy, but for what I use my car for and how bad my luck is, I wouldn't care to be riding on $3400+ wheels, haha.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 AM
mharvard

But if I were to go big with wheels, I would pick up some Volk GTS Phantoms, mmm.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 AM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Legion441

FYI: A 50 state NCIC query comes back with results in less then 5 minutes.... And with the trailer, it would tell them what company it's registered to. We do it on a daily basis here and I'm the one who runs the system....
An NCIC query is only for stolen/wanted vehicles... Smart guy.

Edit: NCIC is NOT the DMV database, btw.

Last edited by HDPDZO6; 09-29-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Just a quick input here, your insurance company may have better luck tracking the guy down. Since they will be paying for the repairs, it is in their best interests to find him.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

At least your safe. Maybe things will work out in your favor down the road.

I'm surprised no one wanted to turn this into a Varrs/Rota thread due to your wheel cracking apart.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Legion441

An NCIC query is only for stolen/wanted vehicles... Smart guy.

Edit: NCIC is NOT the DMV database, btw.
Then I guess the system that's labeled NCIC that I pull driver records and vehicle registration numbers off of (that aren't stolen) for traffic stops is the more updated one. The same system that we have used for the last 7 years and the exact same one I went to a week long course for. The same system used to INPUT as well as SEARCH for stolen vehicles. Believe me, I've been running this system for 6 years now at the police stations I work at, since becoming a desk sergeant, and it does exactly what I'm explaining or I wouldn't be putting in my $.02 on something I know nothing about. You should call the local Military Police station to run your records then since that's what we all use.

As for the DMV database, that was a poor method of explaining that, meant more of, it contains what the DMV inputs when people are issued a new registration. Hence why, if I type in my current license plate, I can find my name, address, DL # and picture, birthday and my prior driving history for the past ~15 years. Same as if I had a reason to input any of the license plates that people forget to blur out when they take pictures. You never know what kind of people are out there and what they could easily get with using just a picture.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
HDPDZO6

Then I guess the system that's labeled NCIC that I pull driver records and vehicle registration numbers off of (that aren't stolen) for traffic stops is the more updated one. The same system that we have used for the last 7 years and the exact same one I went to a week long course for. The same system used to INPUT as well as SEARCH for stolen vehicles. Believe me, I've been running this system for 6 years now at the police stations I work at, since becoming a desk sergeant, and it does exactly what I'm explaining or I wouldn't be putting in my $.02 on something I know nothing about. You should call the local Military Police station to run your records then since that's what we all use.
The trailer the OP is referring to is not wanted/stolen, so it would be more difficult to locate. Hell, even if you could obtain an instantaneous return on all 50 states, then what do you have. A list of up to 1800 trailer records. You then have to narrow the list based on any description given by the OP and then have to start working through the companies that own said trailers in order to track the trailer to a particular driver for the specific date.

Just how fast do you think this will occur? You are quick to label the officer as being lazy in this case; however, it is evident you failed to think this though.

So tell me, just how fast would this process take? Also add in the prosecution hurdles you have to overcome.

Please do tell...

If the OP has a decent description of the tractor and trailer, as well as the state of issue, this becomes much easier.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 AM
resident25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that sucks, glad ur ok OP. Good luck on finding the guy who did it!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
BoomerZ33

glad you're ok. trucks are ruthless out there. hope you get some restitution.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Legion441

The trailer the OP is referring to is not wanted/stolen, so it would be more difficult to locate. Hell, even if you could obtain an instantaneous return on all 50 states, then what do you have. A list of up to 1800 trailer records. You then have to narrow the list based on any description given by the OP and then have to start working through the companies that own said trailers in order to track the trailer to a particular driver for the specific date.

Just how fast do you think this will occur? You are quick to label the officer as being lazy in this case; however, it is evident you failed to think this though.

So tell me, just how fast would this process take? Also add in the prosecution hurdles you have to overcome.

Please do tell...

If the OP has a decent description of the tractor and trailer, as well as the state of issue, this becomes much easier.
Well, it would at least be a starting place. Don't know about all the other cops out there, but I do the job I get a paycheck for.... hence why I said lazy. Whether it takes more man hours then a department is willing to give up or not, it's called doing what's in their job description (the same description that's summed up on the paycheck that they get paid to do).... And since this discussion is getting off topic by other people who are trying to start a fight (since I do believe I'm not trying to incite something and I haven't been unprofessional at all, which can't be said for others) rather then how the OP got screwed over multiple times in one day, I'm not going to continue to bicker with other people trying to justify what didn't happen.

Glad to see you're alright OP. Hope you get it figured out with the insurance

Last edited by Legion441; 09-29-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:45 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, that sucks dude. If you have Uninsured Motorist coverage on your policy, this is where you want to file that claim. It is usually a lower deductible and does not count against you(like it will if you file a comp/coll claim).
Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM
jduet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are just lazy a$$ cops.
(since I do believe I'm not trying to incite something and I haven't been unprofessional at all, which can't be said for others)

OP, send the trailer info to Legion, he'll have the guy in cuffs in 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____-