Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____-

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
mharvard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____-

As I was driving through Caldwell County back to San Marcos, TX a semi-truck was stopped on the side of the road decided to try and pull a U-turn as a jeep and myself were about to pass by. He blocked the road completely and as we clipped, I shot off onto a gravel road and hit a fire hydrant (randomly placed might I add) and some pipes. The jeep made it out okay, he was a bit further back and could off-road a little better than me. After we all stopped the truck driver admitted fault and after seeing my car couldn't drive, he said he had to call his boss. The jeep left after I got his information because he had work. I was going back to my Z to get a camera to take pictures/on the phone with police and he just takes off. I told the police 5 out of the 6 digits of the trailer's plate along with a description and what road he was heading down. Evidentially, that wasn't enough.. -_- Those pieces by the hydrant were my C-west CF lip/front. But this was best case scenario and I'm happy I walked away from it, being that there were ditches along the road and I managed to make it onto the one gravel turn off into a cotton field.
Attached Thumbnails Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____--screen-shot-2011-09-26-at-10.07.00-pm.jpg   Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____--screen-shot-2011-09-26-at-5.47.48-pm.jpg   Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____--screen-shot-2011-09-28-at-4.42.07-pm.jpg   Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____--screen-shot-2011-09-28-at-4.41.52-pm.jpg  

Last edited by mharvard; 09-28-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Sorry to hear. How is 5 of the 6 digits not enough? Did you contact the Jeep owner?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
mharvard

That's a good question, the police claimed with out that 3rd to last character there was nothing they could do.. (?) And yes, I gave the witness information to the police and my insurance.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Oh so it wasn't the first 5 digits in order? Even so, with some time I don't see why they couldnt plug all the license plate digits into that spot; you would think there would only be so many trailers that come up. Well, good luck with the insurance company and getting your car fixed or replaced.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your incident. That is SO lame that the police cannot track down the truck given most of the numbers and a vehicle description (including color and any distinguishing marks). I had some kids drive by my truck in the parking lot once, stole my center hub caps and took off. I presented 5 of the 6 characters of the plate and a clear description and year of the truck to the police and they couldn't do anything. We even had the truck on video, but the license wasn't clear. I said F it and was on the look out for the truck. I found the truck one day and confronted the owner. He comes out, I call the police (Police building is 100 ft away) and the police never show, after calling twice. I waited an hour. The owner was the kids' father and worked a deal to get the hub caps back.

I know my post turned into more of a police rant, but I truly do feel for you and know the frustration. Hope you get the bastard.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you were only missing 1 out of the 6 characters, there aren't that many combinations to go thru. I bet the cops are just lazy. I mean seriously... A-Z, 0-9. You even had the description of the type of vehicle. All that should be in their database.

Most cops are useless. Makes you wonder how your tax dollars are being spent. Most of them aren't great at solving crimes, but are good at campin out and givin speeding tickets. When you need them for something serious, they can't help.

Last edited by Deteria; 09-28-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM
mharvard

Agreed, if someone didn't get killed, you're not really a concern. All this is getting a bit annoying though, being that this is my second hit and run. People are ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

What a random *** fire hydrant!

Glad to hear you're ok OP and hope things workout for ya.

Last edited by abarclay; 09-28-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
defcon83

Damn dude, that sucks I hope everything works out but most importantly I hope that catch the ****er. Police dont really get involved in those types of things meaning they dont do detective work unless there was a murder involved.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is horribly wrong ._. sorry man

insurance will pay for damages regardless though you have nothing to worry about. you have a witness
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Mike Anthony

He said he had to call his boss. I wonder if his boss told him to run.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
HDPDZO6

I was going to quote one of the more moronic posts in this thread... Perhaps enlightenment is more in order.

OP,

Did you get the company the driver worked for?
Did you see what state the trailer was from?
Did you see the plate of the tractor?

Trailer plates are not tied to the tractor in any way. They carry separate registrations. Many companies store trailers in a yard and the drivers are free to choose which ones they hook up to, with little to no tracking being done.

If you did not provide the officer the issuing state information for the trailer tag, you will be sh*t out of luck for the most part, unless the crash was severe (involving injuries, etc.)... The man hours involved may outweigh the seriousness of the offense.

If you did have the issuing state information, then the search would be much narrower, but depending on how the company tracks, it could still turn out to be a difficult task.

Last edited by HDPDZO6; 09-28-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
m3a5g0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deteria
If you were only missing 1 out of the 6 characters, there aren't that many combinations to go thru. I bet the cops are just lazy. I mean seriously... A-Z, 0-9. You even had the description of the type of vehicle. All that should be in their database.

Most cops are useless. Makes you wonder how your tax dollars are being spent. Most of them aren't great at solving crimes, but are good at campin out and givin speeding tickets. When you need them for something serious, they can't help.
Exactly what I was thinking....how hard would that be to plug in some numbers?? Half the cops out there are worthless but don't get me wrong, some cops are really good at what they do. That really blows OP. sorry to hear this unfortunate crap. Reminds me of just the other day when a Semi driver took a turn too sharp, hit a power line pole (wooden) and broke it in half. He too fled the scene and if it weren't for the beefy lines, it would have snapped and I would have been toasted human. But gl to you and getting it all figured out!

Last edited by m3a5g0; 09-28-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:24 PM
kno

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

op try to find the last digit yourself im sure you can find info of the guy on the internet. why do you think ppl blur their license plates when they post pictures? when you get his info call the witness and take his *** to court.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM
m3a5g0

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
I was going to quote one of the more moronic posts in this thread... Perhaps enlightenment is more in order.

OP,

Did you get the company the driver worked for?
Did you see what state the trailer was from?
Did you see the plate of the tractor?

Trailer plates are not tied to the tractor in any way. They carry separate registrations. Many companies store trailers in a yard and the drivers are free to choose which ones they hook up to, with little to no tracking being done.

If you did not provide the officer the issuing state information for the trailer tag, you will be sh*t out of luck for the most part, unless the crash was severe (involving injuries, etc.)... The man hours involved may outweigh the seriousness of the offense.

If you did have the issuing state information, then the search would be much narrower, but depending on how the company tracks, it could still turn out to be a difficult task.
So let me get this straight....if he had the state in which the trailer was registered under, the chances would be greater in getting the guy?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by m3a5g0
So let me get this straight....if he had the state in which the trailer was registered under, the chances would be greater in getting the guy?
Of course.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 PM
m3a5g0

Of course.
how hard would it be to go through every state, plug in those numbers and substitute 0-9 for the number missing? just a question?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
HDPDZO6

how hard would it be to go through every state, plug in those numbers and substitute 0-9 for the number missing? just a question?
You are forgetting A-Z potentially as well. Have you ever operated an NCIC terminal?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
m3a5g0

You are forgetting A-Z potentially as well. Have you ever operated an NCIC terminal?
True, and no I have not...which is why i'm asking. So how hard would it be to go through every state?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
HDPDZO6

True, and no I have not...which is why i'm asking. So how hard would it be to go through every state?
Depending on the network connection, 30 seconds to a couple minutes per run (~1800 times) to get a total list...

Edit: Also, unless you are looking for trailer which was reported stolen, there is no "run all states" function.

Last edited by HDPDZO6; 09-28-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Semi-truck hit and run 9/26 -____-