Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1441 miles later, it's home!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 12:17 PM
LowFuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1441 miles later, it's home!

Picked up my Z on Friday at Courtesy Nissan in Dallas. Just got home! Im extremely thrilled with the car.
The drive home went very smoothly. Many a bug was slain by the nose guard (it was so nasty when I got home, I just threw it away). Finished the break in period around Phoenix.
The car is hiding in my garage right now because it's SOO dirty, I couldnt bear letting anyone else see it until I can wash it this afternoon.
Unfortunately, the moment I arrived at the dealer my digital cameras battery died, and I didnt have the charger with me. After trying a few radio shacks, I realized the charger it needs is not very common, so I didnt get any pics!!
However my salesmen was nice enough to take some at the dealership and give them to me on a floppy. I will post them a bit later, I need to relax a bit first.
Thanks to InternetAbyss for meeting me on such short notice and hanging out for a while! Sorry I couldnt call anyone else to arrange a dinner, I didnt get out of the dealership until pretty late and only had his # with me.

Pics later! Time to wash it and then go for a cruise!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:27 PM
LowFuel

Well it's a bit low res but you get the idea. I'm holding the keys.
Attached Thumbnails 1441 miles later, it's home!-me-at-dealer.jpg  
Old 09-08-2002, 12:46 PM
mike952

Congratulations; you'll love the color. I saw it in person today for the first time.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:05 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Jason,

It looks great.

I would be very interested to see the actual breakdown of colors/models. It appears that DB Track is a pretty common conbo for that model.

JD
Old 09-08-2002, 01:12 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Hey Jason...Congrats man...great pic...low res or otherwise....Enjoy my friend
Old 09-08-2002, 01:13 PM
z461

The only other color I considered...
Old 09-08-2002, 04:40 PM
InternetABYSS

home already??? You got more miles than me on the car amazing....LOL how you like your high milage car?

I had fun meeting you....Did you like Texas land and cattle company?...Hope to see you in SD sometime.

I want the game when you guys finish it. Your my game insider now man
Old 09-08-2002, 05:03 PM
tbcz

Awesome Jason.

Sounds like an exciting few days. Relax and enjoy your ride. Post some more pics if you can.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Well, Jason, before I can say welcome to Texas, you already made it home. Hope the folks in Richardson and Dallas you met gave you a warm welcome.

Give us your impression of the car after break in. I still have almost 500 miles to go before 1200.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:31 PM
infinite z

Congrats Jason, sounds like a fun ride home! Man I've had mine for 10 days and I'm only at 1100 miles, I'm jealous. I can't wait to open her up a little. Hope you enjoyed your short stay in TX, and the wonderful treatment from Courtesy. Those guys rule. Wait, why am I sitting here instead of driving???
Old 09-08-2002, 06:59 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Congrats 007 and welcome to the club! Any road stories for us?
Old 09-08-2002, 07:07 PM
LowFuel

A quick diary of the trip:

Landed in Dallas at 4:15pm friday. Flight was uneventful.
A driver from Courtesy Nissan was waiting at the airport for me, holding a sign that said "Z Owner Jason Hough", the Z was the real logo even. I kept the sign.

Got to Courtesy around 5pm, they had the car waiting right inside the double doors, and the entire staff was standing around it and greeted me. Smiles all around. This was the first Daytona Blue they'd recieved, and everyone was admiring it.

Did the financing side of the paper work first. As some of you may recall there was a fiasco with them not accepting my Peoplefirst check. I was still a little steamed by that, but the were able to get me nearly the identical APR through nissan (5.55 vs. 5.49). Also no payments til Jan, which is nice. I may still refi through peoplefirst, but not sure if it's worth the bother at this point. Maybe I can get PeopleFirst to give me an even better rate.

Finished that up, then sat down with Joe, my salesmen (great guy). He went over most of the usual stuff with me, a bit quickly though as I told him I'd already read the manual.
They gave me the Z logo keychain, a custom "Z" hat (you can see it in the pic), a "Lust then Love" book, and the Z logo'd Fossil watch (very nice!!!). I also bought a cover, the nose mask, cargo net, and Z logo duffle bag to hold the cover (fits perfectly).

Shook hands with everyone, then drove out and went the 200 feet and parked at my Hotel next door to check in.

Dropped off my bags and then drove to a nearby Radio Shack to try and find a charger for my camera. No luck, voltage is not standard.

Called InternetAbyss and he came down to meet me for dinner. We went to a nice Steakhouse. Food was great! Hung out outside for a while and compared our cars. Some guy drives by and sees us and stops. He has a 240sx pretty tricked out. Turns out he's a moderator of the 350z forum over at FreshAlloy. Small world!!

I was super tired by then (midnight), and went back to the Hotel. It was really hard to fall asleep I was so excited about the car.

Well I left Dallas at about 5:30AM on Saturday. At 5:00PM I rolled into El Paso where I had planned on staying. I was having so much fun though, and considering how early it was, I went ahead and called a Holiday Inn in Tucson AZ and reserved a room there.

Through New Mexico and a bit into Arizona it rained a little, no handling problems at all though, but I did cut the speed down a bit.

Got to Tucson at 10PM and checked in, literally the odometer hit 1000 miles as I pulled into the parking spot. Suddenly I realized I hadn't taken time zones into account, so it was actually only 8PM. "I could be back in San Diego by 2AM" I thought, but decided I should probably get some sleep instead. So I ordered some room service and watched a movie, then crashed.

Back on the road at 5:30 AM this morning, and got to San Diego at 11:45AM. This leg went pretty quick, I think I averaged 90. I was a little embarassed driving through San Diego, because the car was so dirty. People kept pulling up beside me to check it out, Im sure they were thinking "what an ***, he treats it like crap!!". Oh well, at least its clean now!!

Everywhere I stopped on the trip home people asked about the car or just paid some compliment. Only confusion/comparisons were "is that some new Porsche?" from 3 different people.

I did not buy or even look at a map the entire way home, I simply told the Nav which addresses I needed to go to and followed the instructions. Amazing! Worked *perfectly*. In fact, at one point it was telling me to get ready to take 15 south in San Diego, when I *knew* I should keep going straight. I thought it had some bad map data. BUT, I decided to follow its instructions just to see. The damn thing showed me a shortcut that I never knew about in 14 years driving this same freeway. What can I say, the Nav is just the coolest thing...

First thing I did when I got home was take the nose mask off and throw it away. It was so nasty... poor bugs. A few butterfly wings fell off when I removed it. :P Rays had a fair amount of brake dust, but not nearly as bad as my TT gets. Also the Daytona Blue is definitely going to require more love than a silver car like my old Audi, I dried it as fast as I could and still got some water spots.

Post breakin, well it's just DAMN awesome. I set the shift light to 6400 RPM when I passed 1200 miles on the odometer (up'd it to 5000 RPM when I passed 1000).
I've been *trying* to drive it hard enough to get it to start blinking (5900 is when it would blink), but so far my common sense kicks in before the light. I gotta get a little more comfortable with it I think before I really let it rip I think. Although I have done a lot of miles already, I havent really pushed it or anything, I mostly just wanted to get home and wash the car.

Even being timid, it's definitely on par with my old NSX and far exceeds my current (selling tomorrow) TT. Handling is remarkable. Turns that felt really hairy in my TT are almost mundane in the Z.

I was very comfortable the entire drive, the AC worked great even in the desert heat.

I'm already used to the view out the back, its not as bad as I thought originally.

Anyway, just took my wife for a drive down Pacific Coast Highway, and showed her how everthing works. She loves it too.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:47 PM
mike952

Great story...

Question for you. I was suprised when you said courtesy gave you the Z watch. I have been wanting to order it from them for a while, but just when I was about to, they removed it from the site.

I presume they set them aside (at least for now) for their pre-order customers. Is it possible if you can ask them for a second (even if you gotta pay for it; perhaps they'll be glad to). Of course, I'll pay you if you happen to get it.

I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:50 PM
LowFuel

When they got their shipment of watches in, they set aside one for each pre-order customer. The rest sold off the site. I think they will be getting more in though.
(this is my understanding...)

I definitely think you should order one. They are VERY nice.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:52 PM
mike952

Originally posted by LowFuel
When they got their shipment of watches in, they set aside one for each pre-order customer. The rest sold off the site. I think they will be getting more in though.
(this is my understanding...)

I definitely think you should order one. They are VERY nice.
The thing is, they took it off their web site .
Old 09-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Danimsta

great story!!!!

man everytime i see pics it makes me want a Z even more

i just got a 95 maxima and for my license plate i am going to get

IWANNAZ

hopefully no one has it
Old 09-08-2002, 09:36 PM
roberto350z

so whats YOUR slant on break in driving across country?
Old 09-08-2002, 10:55 PM
raceboy
Banned

I have 1400 miles on my car already and I only live 5 miles from my dealer!!

Quick Reply: 1441 miles later, it's home!