Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Towing the Z across the country. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 AM
navyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing the Z across the country. Questions

Hey like I said im going to be towing the Z across the country. (Chicago, Il to Norfolk, Va) I got a full size trailer from Uhaul so it shouldnt be to bad to haul. I was wondering where to strap the z down and any basic information about towing I should know. Feel free to tell me your towing nightmares and what you could have had to make it better. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:45 PM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

BIG HEADS UP, I just towed my Z from Dayton, OH to San Angelo, TX. The Uhaul auto transport is NOT compatible. You will need some pieces of 2x10 or so for the front wheels so the front bumper will clear the trailer stops. Also, even on flat ground with a factory suspension, it damaged my undercarriage during loading and unloading. bent up an underpanel pretty bad and also bent the brake lines up on the passenger side. I'm currently in the middle of filing a claim since its actually not a compatible platform for the Z. They will be paying for the repairs.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM
navyz

Originally Posted by RENFRO
BIG HEADS UP, I just towed my Z from Dayton, OH to San Angelo, TX. The Uhaul auto transport is NOT compatible. You will need some pieces of 2x10 or so for the front wheels so the front bumper will clear the trailer stops. Also, even on flat ground with a factory suspension, it damaged my undercarriage during loading and unloading. bent up an underpanel pretty bad and also bent the brake lines up on the passenger side. I'm currently in the middle of filing a claim since its actually not a compatible platform for the Z. They will be paying for the repairs.
I got the same trailer i pick it up tomorrow. I dont have enough time to switch trailers. I got some 2 x 10 so I should be safe there. Wow this has got me worried now. Do you recomend I do anything else. Any way not to damage the Z and where did you tie it down to?
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM
IDrm350

Originally Posted by RENFRO
I towed mine with a Penske trailer from Philly to LA (3200 miles with excursions). Same problem, not enough clearance. Simple solution: raise up the front of the trailer using the crank on the tongue and/or back it up to a curb.

As far as strapping it down, my trailer came with straps that went over the front wheels. Behind the wheel, it was anchored to the trailer. In front of the wheel, the strap was winched tight with a manual winch mounted on front rail of the trailer.

Mine also had some safety chains that I hooked around the the cross member. If the car had come loose, it probably would have damaged the cross member but at that point I'd only be worried about not killing other drivers.

Good luck OP!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
navyz

Thanks a lot I wish I wouldnt have gotten the Uhaul trailer but I should make it. Next time if I have enough time i'll do more research not last minute.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Across the country? It's not even 900 miles

Block the ramps with wood to load and off-load, look at your trailer, are the edges of the wheel channels higher than the lowest point? Block it. Keep your speeds down. You didn't say what you're towing it with. Watch for sway. Check the tie-downs after 50, 100, and 200 miles. They have a way of working loose.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:55 PM
navyz

You are right its only 900 miles or so but its north to south so its still the the most i've ever towed anything lol. I'm towing with a v-10 ford Excursion should get the job down and then some. I got the trailer today and attempted to get the Z on trailer. Yeah no luck I bottom out bent on an exhaust bracket (thats what I hope it was anyway) because of the inside rail. Plan B beat the inside rail down and lay boards the full length of the trailer to get the car up a little. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 AM

I wouldn't beat the rail down, you'll be paying for the damages. I agree with the wood to raise the car ablove the rail. 2x10's or 2x12's should work!