Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tailgaters in Rear View Mirror Appear Close?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
And when you are in traffic going flow of traffic, nowhere to move and they tailgate?

Put your indicator on, try to find a way to move over, and show that you are attempting to get out of the way so you're not impeding on people in the left lane.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 AM
drivessidewayz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
People, for the most part, just do not respect these cars. You would be amazed at how many non-enthusiasts/z owners think these are FWD 4 cylinder cars. Then you have evo fanboys, V8 truck drivers who drive like they can run over everyone, etc. There just isn't any respect out there for these cars. If you don't believe me, browse some forums that support all makes/models. The 350z is 1 of the most trash talked cars on them.
It could be related to how most people act on this forum or in person as well. Respect is earned; not given.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 AM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Better that brake checking people like many others have said. No matter what the case is, i'm not going to intentionally try cause an accident. If your going with the flow of traffic, you and the others should not be in the far left lane.
I disagree. As much as I get mad about people cruising in the left lane as if it isn't the passing lane, when you are in heavy traffic, you have to let some things slide. During rush hour (or any other time where every lane is backed up), it makes sense that the left lane simply becomes another lane of travel. When everyone in every other lane is going 40mph or stop-and-go, assuming that the left lane should be left empty for people who want to go faster is silly, because everyone wants to go faster at that point.

Honestly OP some people just ride close unintentionally, they aren't trying to be a douche. I know in this area, if you leave a car length or more between you and the car in front of you, people take that as an invite to cut you out. Its a dog eat dog world out there.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,596 Likes on 2,053 Posts

Originally Posted by russ713
Put your indicator on, try to find a way to move over, and show that you are attempting to get out of the way so you're not impeding on people in the left lane.
Who said anything about the left lane?

I am only in the left lane to pass or if it is bumper to bumper and it does not matter what lane I am in I ain't getting anywhere fast.

I am talking about any lane, when I am not impeding traffic in any manner but some a*shat just wants to ride my (and anyone he gets behind) a*s and after I let him know I do not appreciate him being inside my hatch by repeatedly giving him signs (slight slowing followed by rapid accel, 10-15 mph decel and finally rapid decel which honestly rarely happens usually they back off)

My two peeves are left lane jam cars & for no reasonable reason tailgaters. If I am going as fast as I can in whatever lane I can do it in why should I move over and have another jerk in front of me? He can go around if he thinks he has a better chance in another lane. As someone said it's a dog eat dog world out there.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 AM
MeinVinyl

I'm really tall so when I'm driving, the only angle on my rear view mirror is pointed downward, so I can't even see the cars behind me except usually when they are tailgating. Solves the problem from being blinded by headlights though. hahaha
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 AM
big_dish

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
I'm not saying that I did this, but I have this friend... you know... and one time, when a guy was being a jerk and nothing else worked, since his convertible top was down, he held up the loaded spare clip from his pistol until they realized, "What in the heck is he holding up? Oh...."

Haha well played. I have a CCW and always thought that would be a good deterrant. Not threatening the guy with the whole setup, but warning him with the ammo instead.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 AM
PrimeX

After being an angry driver for so many years and having a gun pulled on me for slamming brakes, I now just slow down a few MPH. If that doesn't work I go slower. I get so many damn slammed trucks with glass packs thinking they're fast who tailgate me all the time. I'm glad the anger was tossed or I'd probably be dead.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I've noticed the same thing: it appears that everyone is about to rear end me! I chalked it up to a few things: the Z is short (no backseats), you are basically sitting in the middle, the view out the back is like looking thru a mail slot, the car is low so you see people's bummers. The combination off all these factors makes it LOOK like people are tailgating.

No way I'd brake check anyone because A) you never know who is packing heat and 2) people are on their damn phones so much they aren't paying attention and will most likely slam right into you!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although cars do *appear* closer in the RVM....if they appear to be then they're too close anyway, so pull over and let em pass..period..end of story. There's no excuse for doing otherwise and pulling funny stuff like brake checking.

Last edited by ronn1; 11-21-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Arvin89

Originally Posted by ronn1
Although cars do *appear* closer in the RVM....if they appear to be then they're too close anyway, so pull over and let em pass..period..end of story. There's no excuse for doing otherwise and pulling funny stuff like brake checking.
What if your on a road that only has 1 lane going in the direction your going and your already doing 10 over the limit? Its a common issue for me here in vancouver. I usually just continue at the same pace, but if they start pushing then i brake check.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvin89
What if your on a road that only has 1 lane going in the direction your going and your already doing 10 over the limit? Its a common issue for me here in vancouver. I usually just continue at the same pace, but if they start pushing then i brake check.
Most roads have turnouts so you can pull over and let them pass. Even when i'm parked in the fast lane going 85 in a 65 and a fast vehicle comes up from behind i will get out of the way for them. Rarely would i ever have to use a pull out, only when in my truck when loaded with my quad in the bed.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,596 Likes on 2,053 Posts

Originally Posted by ronn1
There is no excuse to tailgate. If the car in front of you is impeding traffic and you flash them, get closer flash and they refuse to move. WAIT. If you are the car in front and you are going as fast as you can (due to traffic) and are being tailgated what do you suggest?

As I said. First I slow down a bit. I am saying back off in a reasonable way. if they stay there (too close) I speed up as quickly as I reasonably can and resume my position at a reasonable distance behind the car in front of me. If they return too close I slow down more forcefully (but still not a full on brake check)

We all have to share the road. Tailgaters are the ones behaving badly and starting the nonsense. I feel I have the right to say back off, I am going as fast as I reasonably can and if you want to go faster go around. I am not saying I am setting the speed limit, I am saying when I am in traffic and have no control over the speed we are going.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
SLIdEwAyZ25

i think someone needs to make a super soaker mod for the rear window fluid sprayer that gives it 1000 psi so it can shoot holes in tailgaters radiators and there would be no way to trace it back hehehehe
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM
kuyo

what all you guys are saying is good and all but I'm going to brake check...In most cases im the only one on the road 4am in the morning going 2 work and Im usually in the middle lane with the fast lane on the left and another empty lane on the right..I'm already sleepy, there is no reason why I should "get over" just because you want to be a bully and tailgate me with 2 empty lanes beside me.

Sounds like a once in a lifetime story but 2 out of the 5 days i get up and go 2 work that usually happens and it seems to always be a diesal or lifted truck..Like your headlights are suppose to intimedate<--Spell check) me
Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

If I'm not in the fast lane and someone is riding my bumper...save all the drama and I change lanes!

I hate when I'm pushing it a tad and the fast lane has a minivan doing 5 below!

Get the **** out the way!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Arvin89
Use common sense...if you can pull over fine...if not, then screw em.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
There is no excuse to tailgate. If the car in front of you is impeding traffic and you flash them, get closer flash and they refuse to move. WAIT. If you are the car in front and you are going as fast as you can (due to traffic) and are being tailgated what do you suggest?

As I said. First I slow down a bit. I am saying back off in a reasonable way. if they stay there (too close) I speed up as quickly as I reasonably can and resume my position at a reasonable distance behind the car in front of me. If they return too close I slow down more forcefully (but still not a full on brake check)

We all have to share the road. Tailgaters are the ones behaving badly and starting the nonsense. I feel I have the right to say back off, I am going as fast as I reasonably can and if you want to go faster go around. I am not saying I am setting the speed limit, I am saying when I am in traffic and have no control over the speed we are going.

Tail gaters are A- holes for the most part...but I see no need to *get into* some personal confrontation..you're not gonna teach em squat. If ya wanna speed up...fine..if not, let em go and don't take it as some personal assault on your car. As for myself..when come up on a car going REAL SLOW in the fast lane and they don't move (when I can't pass on the right), I'll give them a very quick flash if possible...but I won't tail gate em.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:25 PM
ashram

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ive realized after driving a 350z fore the past 4 years is that if someone sees a sport car especially a modded one, there gonna try there damned best to get in front of it,i remember the very first day i got my 03 z i was driving from virginia and i swear out of every 6 cars i passed 2 would do there best to get in front of me, the most memorable one was a nissan quest lol.

I notice that when i drive my parents cars, moms got a volvo suv dads got a jetta 2.0 slow , i rarely get tailgated or cut off , i always feel on the edge in my z but when im driving there cars its really relaxing, my dad says its all in my head

Ill never forget crusing with my lil 11 year old sis and her saying why is every body trying to race you lol. op just put your tunes on and ignore the tailgaters. and whats this foolishness about a z not getting no respect

Last edited by ashram; 11-22-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:51 PM
hellogoodbye

Originally Posted by ashram
What ive realized after driving a 350z fore the past 4 years is that if someone sees a sport car especially a modded one, there gonna try there damned best to get in front of it,i remember the very first day i got my 03 z i was driving from virginia and i swear out of every 6 cars i passed 2 would do there best to get in front of me, the most memorable one was a nissan quest lol.

I notice that when i drive my parents cars, moms got a volvo suv dads got a jetta 2.0 slow , i rarely get tailgated or cut off , i always feel on the edge in my z but when im driving there cars its really relaxing, my dad says its all in my head

Ill never forget crusing with my lil 11 year old sis and her saying why is every body trying to race you lol. op just put your tunes on and ignore the tailgaters. and whats this foolishness about a z not getting no respect
Late response to this thread but was busy with the holidays.. But you hit it dead on, the reason people are tailgating is cause they want to pass me - whether I am speeding or not, I could go crazy fast and that minivan will go even faster to pass me! People have sever inferiority complexes when around a Z, that is what I have realized owning this car.

As far as tailgating, I have brake checked people enough to have several out of car confrontations over the years and its not a good idea, even if you are armed. One time we both pulled over and I got out to yell at him and I just saw the guy digging under his seat forever, he finally comes out but I know he has a gun stuffed in his pants so I just yelled at him and let it go... even though I carry in the car (but not on me), its not worth possible life in prison to have these confrontations over being cut off or tailgating.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
samano1616

lets see i was on the freeway doin 75 in a 65 in the fast lane some a** wipe comes behind and tailgates me naturally i notice this and continue the same pace i even sped up a bit but nope still on my *** and there is virtually no one else on the road so i start slowin down as soon as he decides to pass me i floor is and dont let him lol

Quick Reply: Tailgaters in Rear View Mirror Appear Close?