Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z transmissions are crap (im being nice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 PM
CTZ860

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
Have you had your car checked for oil consumption? One of the signs is a rattling teapot sound when you idle. It can also be a bad tranny..
Prolly going to regret asking this but do you mean trans fluid leaking/consumtion or regular oil?
Car has no leaks and no I have not had any problems burning oil as far as I know.....check it regularly, using mobil 1 synth 5w-30
Old 12-11-2011, 12:36 PM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by CTZ860
Prolly going to regret asking this but do you mean trans fluid leaking/consumtion or regular oil?
Car has no leaks and no I have not had any problems burning oil as far as I know.....check it regularly, using mobil 1 synth 5w-30

I mean regular oil. What happens is the bearings around the crank wear and get fractionally sloppy, which generates light clatter. However, if you aren't seeing oil vanish, then it's probably the transmission alone.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:13 PM
911Killer4243

Dude I'm scared I just recently purchased a grand tourng z in neutral it sounds as the metal is clanking in the engine the clutch petal shakes abunch I just turboed the car I'm wondering what u think this could be off the top of your head
Old 12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
TheVengefulCo

Originally Posted by Zero260
I'm curious as to what type of gear oil you used in the tranny? I ask because the transmission requires GL-4 gear oil. Most stores sell GL-5 as standard.

I've read that gl-5 fluid will cause the synchros to wear out faster because the friction modifiers used are different between the fluids.

Now if it was the Nissan dealer that did it, it "should" be the right stuff.

*and to add, check the plate that guides 5th and 6th gear in, when I swapped trannys I had issues with 6th, untill I adjusted it.
I used the specified Nissan Transmission oil in the owners manual. Its the right stuff, i used that instead of store brands because of that very reason lol. Thanks for all the feedback too guys.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Itzcashew

Describe what it is you feel.

Is it feel like a slight "bzz" when you throw it in or is it a GRRRHHZZZZZZ.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 PM
TheVengefulCo

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
Describe what it is you feel.

Is it feel like a slight "bzz" when you throw it in or is it a GRRRHHZZZZZZ.
more like a GRRRHHZZZZZZ than a "bzz". Probably in between, definitely not normal. kind of a crunch noise
Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 PM
TheVengefulCo

Originally Posted by davidv

There is a reason why cute profiles are not smart. I cannot help with state lemon laws.
Okay, I am located in California. The first time my Z was taken in was when i felt a gear grind from first to second every now and then. Dealership said they couldnt diagnose or duplicate the problem. According to the paperwork they also checked all fluid levels, including transmission fluid (KEE THIS IN MIND IT WILL BE OBVIOUS WHY LATER) and the fluids were all good. They gave the car back. The car was then taken in again two weeks or so later when I felt grinding from fourth gear to fifth gear. The dealership said there was no problem they could duplicate. The paperwork ONCE AGAIN said they checked all fluid levels and they were all good. I got in the car and left, did a circle around the dealership to test the transmission and repeatedly ground the gears from fourth to fifth. I instantly took the car back and demanded a mechanic come with me so we could "duplicate" the problem. The problem was duplicated by me first, and then when I let the mechanic drive. They agreed on giving me a new transmission free since I was under my 60,000 mile/5 year warranty. This is important so remember the car was taken in at 58,600 or so miles. I took the car home for over the weekend since I needed it and brought it back to our scheduled time on Monday morning. They took the Z and started to work on putting in the new transmission. A few days of work and the new transmission was put in and I came back to get the car since it was supposed to be done, but they said they could not get the clutch system to bleed. They told me it would be another few days. During this time it would still not bleed and they told me they were going to try a new slave cylinder since the old one was leaking. They put the new slave cylinder in but it would still not bleed. So a few days later I was told that they were going to replace the brake master cylinder and some brake lines. Im not sure if this was ever done because the next day he called and said that they found the problem and that is was because the new slave cylinder they put in turned out to be defective, so they had to order a new one and put that in. The clutch system would bleed and the car was all ready. The reason I was given it was grinding gears was because a lot of the "transmission fluid was burnt up and gone" and I was pretty low on transmission fluid causing mechanical failures. (I thought they checked the fluid levels... i dont think i would have burned all the fluid within the month) So with that, I took the Z, did the break in and changed the fluid at 1200 miles on the new transmission with Nissan transmission fluid the owners manual specified. I filled the transmission with the right amount of fluid and have experienced NO leaks, and changing the transmission fluid does not void any warranties. I highly doubt this is the reason why the transmission is grinding, as well as my shifting. Now another 1300-1500 miles later and all of the sudden I am experiencing this grinding from 6th gear to 5th gear. I am now out of the original factory warranty with 61,000 or so miles, yet the new transmission was given a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty. I believe that since the gear grinding problem has been occurring under a manufacturer given warranty, and also that since the attempted repairs were made under a warranty, and that I was given a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty for the new transmission, that this could qualify as a lemon. This all happened in the past two months by the way and I was given the car in very late october or very early november, I cant remember. Let me know what you think. Anyone else who knows about lemon law feel free to provide information.

Last edited by TheVengefulCo; 12-11-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:24 AM
saputo

had mine changed at 55k for my 06, was grinding from 6-5 with clutch all the way in.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My simple understanding of California Lemon Law for used vehicles is:

If you purchase a used vehicle, and the vehicle is covered by manufacture warranty, you are covered by the Lemon Law.

Attempted numbers of repairs is a complicated subject. I recommend that you contact a Lemon Law attorney for advice.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
TheVengefulCo

Yeah that's EXACTLY what is happening to me did they give you a reason as to why? And yes, i believe I have a lemon. Does anyone know how much a lemon law attorney will cost? I want this to be worth it in the end. Also im thinking about selling the car. Im looking at a 135i, 335i, 5.0 GT, MAYBE a 370 but I'm iffy on it after these experiences, camaro ss, or wrx sti. I have found a few of them each in the mid twenties on carmax and other dealers in my area with around 40-55k miles so if I sell or get my Z bought off me for being a lemon, ill replace it with one of these. Any opinions on which is the best choice?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM
IDrm350

I believe that Nissan would have to attempt to fix the same issue three times before you would qualify for a buyback. I think you may still have two more attempts to go.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM
TheVengefulCo

Originally Posted by IDrm350
I believe that Nissan would have to attempt to fix the same issue three times before you would qualify for a buyback. I think you may still have two more attempts to go.
Yeah I know. Also I didn't buy it from a nissan dealership. It was from a Volkswagen dealership but I don't think this even matters since it was still under Nissan warranty. I'm at the dealership right now and theyre going to attept a duplication for the problem. They should have no problem doing this. This is my fourth time here lol maybe ill get lucky. I also told the clerk I'm interested in selling it and i told him 19-20 and he said thats pretty reasonable but well wait and see. They do have a lot of 370zs here.... But Idk if i trust Nissan now. Anyone have any problems with their 370 or are they reliable?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVengefulCo
Does anyone know how much a lemon law attorney will cost?
Consultation may be free.

Attorney decides if he can win the case. Fee is based on how much money you win. Lets say that you win the suit against Nissan, and Nissan gives you $5,000. Expect the attorney to take half.

Last edited by davidv; 12-12-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:39 AM
tiki

My 03 has had a grind on 5th, I have 58k and purchased through a private party, am I SOL? Seattle, Wa
Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 03 trans replaced at 29,000 miles because the syncros were shot (mostly on the 2-3 shift)with a CD009. Absolutely no issues with the cd009 since install.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 AM
dmroberson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06 with original transmission here... 105K miles later, still running just fine. Been changing the oil about every 30K miles... Only used Redline oil.

As stated, research the local lemon laws and/or consult an attorney. good luck

Last edited by dmroberson; 12-13-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

For anyone that wants to read more about this problem:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...y-problem.html
Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 AM
HDPDZO6

According to Spork, all the transmissions used in the 350Z are fine. All the TSB's/recalls are a coverup by Nissan to hide the fact that some owners cannot shift.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

clutch could be installed wrong.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 AM
kdizzle711

Default Transmissions

Originally Posted by JCat
I am on tranny #5. The 009 (9th Nissan revission) seems to have solved my problem.
At one time, there was a thread here on My350z.com that was something like 100+ pages long about this problem. It was deleted when RACEBOY got banned. There are still plenty of threads about this problem. Yes, OP, a lot of us think that the tranny in the Z is not the greatest.
I agree.. Both my 2003 350z car now have..CD009 transmissions.. Go to car-part.com and locate one,, Sometimes you can get lucky if the junkyard is not familiar with what they have.. I purchased one for 425.00 out of a yard in Carrollton, ga .. Had to make a few modifications to make it fit.. Love my Z cars...Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: 350Z transmissions are crap (im being nice)