Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z transmissions are crap (im being nice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 PM
TheVengefulCo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z transmissions are crap (im being nice)

Well guess what guys, my new transmission is now doing the same problem as the old. Bought the car 3 months ago with 54k miles on it and started to grind gears from 4th to 5th on demand around 57k miles. So after a pain in the *** 4 trips to Nissan to try and fix the problem with them repeatedly telling me it was fine and there was no problem, i made one of their dumbass mechanics come with me to show him the problem. After that I did that, they decided to give me a new one under warranty. So I got the new one, and at the end of break in at 1200 miles I did a tranny fluid change and everything was good for another 1300 miles. Now the tranny is grinding on demand from 6th to 5th. WTF man, is this normal or what? Any Z experts here that can tell me whats happening? Literally just started happening tonight out of the blue. Im sick of this **** and im refusing to pay for a car that cant function properly. Im thinking the 07 trannys are just garbage so even if I get a new one in, its going to be garbage eventually. Honestly thinking of selling the Z lol and no, my shifting is not the problem. This happens with the clutch all the way in. No other gears grind.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your shifting is the problem.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a reason why cute profiles are not smart. I cannot help with state lemon laws.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:10 AM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

people say the 03 transmissions are the worst..but i have had no problems with mine and its almost ten years old. sounds like bad luck having two bad ones already.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Name:  transmission.jpg
Views: 3754
Size:  72.0 KB

...and oh yes. 2005 and 2007 have major transmission problems. Probably a good idea to look at reliability before buying. Just saying.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:41 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,where do I start?
First,the stats do show probs with the trans in the the 09 models.That was the first year of the 370.It appears that there was an improvement with the 2010 models.
With ANY new redesign,major model change...you are rolling the dice for potential
new model problems(my 03--tire feathering is legendary-was fixed with 05's).
In addition,this tranny problem is it for the 6MT?Sure does sound like it.
I'll go out on a limb.Why is there so much negative stuff about AT cars?
If you check posts,everyday there are several posts on clutch/trans problems.
I can't remember when I've seen a post about a AT problem.
To be sure,the way one drives(shifts) the car IS a factor.If you buy a car with 54k on the clock,you have no way of knowing if the prev. owner was a ham-fisted idiot that
just could not shift gears right.Another factor is who did your trans work.I've learned from experience that not all Nissan dealerships are created equal.In fact,few really know how to work on a Z correctly.
IMO,too much negative on AT cars.When you look at most of the cutting edge super cars,check out what transmission they are using--AT.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:38 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVengefulCo
Well guess what guys, my new transmission is now doing the same problem as the old. Bought the car 3 months ago with 54k miles on it and started to grind gears from 4th to 5th on demand around 57k miles. So after a pain in the *** 4 trips to Nissan to try and fix the problem with them repeatedly telling me it was fine and there was no problem, i made one of their dumbass mechanics come with me to show him the problem. After that I did that, they decided to give me a new one under warranty. So I got the new one, and at the end of break in at 1200 miles I did a tranny fluid change and everything was good for another 1300 miles. Now the tranny is grinding on demand from 6th to 5th. WTF man, is this normal or what? Any Z experts here that can tell me whats happening? Literally just started happening tonight out of the blue. Im sick of this **** and im refusing to pay for a car that cant function properly. Im thinking the 07 trannys are just garbage so even if I get a new one in, its going to be garbage eventually. Honestly thinking of selling the Z lol and no, my shifting is not the problem. This happens with the clutch all the way in. No other gears grind.
Well known problem. And ignore those who give you the old "you don't know how to shift" story. Those are people who have been lucky with regard to this issue - nothing more, nothing less!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
IMO,too much negative on AT cars.When you look at most of the cutting edge super cars,check out what transmission they are using--AT.
The Z is a slushbox, and the super cars are DSG style transmissions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox completely different.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:28 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The Z is a slushbox, and the super cars are DSG style transmissions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox completely different.
Agree that most of the "supercars" use a hybrid of the traditional AT.
No clutch,paddle shifters and such.Its obvious that either there ARE problems with the Z MT or,guys just abuse same.How many times do you read a post
from a "teen" that the Z was his first car or,never has driven a MT?
OUCH!GRIND!.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 AM
TheVengefulCo

Shifting is not my problem, and this isnt my first MT. Just to clear things up, it grinds with CLUTCH IN, and NO OTHER GEARS GRIND. If this was a shifting problem or even a clutch problem, then other gears would grind. Try and refrain from posting stupid comments, i know how immature some of these members can be.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:16 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I am on tranny #5. The 009 (9th Nissan revission) seems to have solved my problem.
At one time, there was a thread here on My350z.com that was something like 100+ pages long about this problem. It was deleted when RACEBOY got banned. There are still plenty of threads about this problem. Yes, OP, a lot of us think that the tranny in the Z is not the greatest.

Last edited by JCat; 12-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Zero260

I'm curious as to what type of gear oil you used in the tranny? I ask because the transmission requires GL-4 gear oil. Most stores sell GL-5 as standard.

I've read that gl-5 fluid will cause the synchros to wear out faster because the friction modifiers used are different between the fluids.

Now if it was the Nissan dealer that did it, it "should" be the right stuff.

*and to add, check the plate that guides 5th and 6th gear in, when I swapped trannys I had issues with 6th, untill I adjusted it.

Last edited by Zero260; 12-11-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CD009 tranny here with 90k miles on it and good fluid change history along with me personally changing it one time too. Did the diff fluid as well and both made a nice difference in daily driving. I would ensue that they aligned the shifter properly when installing the new transmission. Is this a constant grind or only sometimes and now that you have a 12k/12month warranty for the new transmission just take it in.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 AM
temoku

I had grinding gears problem with two different transmissions. On both transmission it started happening within 5k miles after putting AMSOIL fluid in there (yes I used correct stuff). Now I use only OEM oil and I haven't had problems
Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 AM
CTZ860

Hmmmm....that chart is kind of weird....I wonder why engine minor and electrical is rated bad for the 07's and then fuel systems for 08???
Anyways, I have a 07' HR (not sure which tranny off the top of my head) but it is noisy as hell when I'm just idling in neutral. However it does go through gears fine but I do only have 37000 miles on it. Warranty is up beginning of 2012....I'm sure with my luck at the end of next year I'll start grindin gears and stuff haha.

But all in all seems like the 009 transmission is the one to have?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 AM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by Spork

Do you read this forum AT ALL?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by JCITY

Except they don't, they use SAT (semi auto manual) which is technically a manual transmission. Porsche, Ferrari, etc. all use SATs, typically with the paddle shifters. There are not just two transmission types - there are about five:

1) Consumer grade auto - no clutch, based on hydraulic fluids

2) Consumer grade manual - dry clutch and flywheel

3) Triptronic - Basically same as (1) above, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

4) Semi Auto - uses a clutch and a computer, technically not an automatic because it has no hydraulic fluids. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-au...c_transmission

5) Continously variable - no gears, based on tension or torque. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission

The 350z is only available with (1) and (2) above, not (4) to which you are comparing them.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 AM
MaelstrØm

Originally Posted by CTZ860
Anyways, I have a 07' HR (not sure which tranny off the top of my head) but it is noisy as hell when I'm just idling in neutral.
Have you had your car checked for oil consumption? One of the signs is a rattling teapot sound when you idle. It can also be a bad tranny.

But all in all seems like the 009 transmission is the one to have?

The CD009 is an improvement, but it isn't perfect. I had an original with Nissan tranny fluid, it failed after 15K miles or so. The new transmission has redline MT mix and hasn't shown any issue except it is rough into most gears. No real grinding, YET.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zach711f
people say the 03 transmissions are the worst..but i have had no problems with mine and its almost ten years old. sounds like bad luck having two bad ones already.

Ditto.. 50k on the clock on my 03 and a few track days.. mine is great
Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
+1

Mine has 87,000+ miles on it, with 6 years of Solo and ProSolo competition, and the transmission is still OK (1-2 syncro is getting to be a bit weak when cold, but otherwise it still works OK).

Quick Reply: 350Z transmissions are crap (im being nice)