Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z transmissions are crap (im being nice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:08 PM
pbn85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so did your new transmission get installed yet?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVengefulCo
yeah Im getting rid of it ASAP. Posted it up online and hopefully ill get it tomorrow with the new tranny and take it to carmax along with my old g35. Should be able to get a good deal with those two but idk. Just for the hell of it yesterday when I dropped it off, i went to talk to their manager for sales. I knew they wouldnt offer much for the car but I was surprised at how low they decided to go. The dude told me 12-13k or 15k if i wanted to buy a knew 370z... I literally laughed and told him that aint going to fly and left. I mean come on, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SCREWED UP THE FIRST TRANNY PRETTY MUCH. I took it in twice before they changed it and each time they gave me that checklist that they did all the fluid checks and everything. And all of the sudden in the span of two weeks, all the tranny fluid is gone and it caused mechanical failures? The car did not have ANY leaks. THEY just didnt do their job because if they did they wouldve seen the problem. I also theorize that they purposely let it run low on tranny fluid and expected it to break down after my warranty expired since it only had 1,500 miles left. but anyways I hate to sell the Fairlady but hey, whats got to be done has to be done. Just imagine if these problems were out of warranty.... nightmare.
I have yet to install a new nissan trans that was fully full of fluid, When the come in the come with fluid but are never all the way full. My guess is the mechanic did not top off the fluid in the new trans after installing it.

They normally have "enough" in them that it would not cause an issue though.

You think you have problems with the Z? And now you're buying a BMW?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM
TheVengefulCo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far so good, the new tranny has about 1800 miles on it and no problems.... hope i dont speak too soon. Decided to give the Fairlady a little bit of time to see how it acts, if all goes well then I may keep her but chances are not.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM
pbn85

hope it works out for ya man. Not sure where you live, but on cold mornings does down shifting into 2nd gear seem like it does not want to go in? I'm mainly referring to the initial 2nd gear down shift on a cold day. All other 2nd gear down shifts seem good after the first one.

Last edited by pbn85; 01-21-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:10 AM
slim17265

I found that putting in Amsoil trans man trans oil that the stuff was so slippery I could beat the sincros causing gear clash...I removed it and put in Mobil 1, I think it was 85/140 problem solved.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:15 AM
slim17265

I found that on the first shift to second gear on a very cold morning that the shifter should not be forced into gear...I think from building a lot of manual trans it appears that the rev idler gear drains itself from oil over the nite. the rev idler is also used in some trans for other gears. I found that by just applying a little more nominal pressure and let it go into gear naturally. I feel by forcing it only wears out the sincro.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:03 AM
MaelstrØm

Forcing definitely helps to wear out synchros, but they should survive a fair amount of use. The problem with the '03 tranny was something to do with the geared rings slipping loose.

Last edited by MaelstrØm; 02-18-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 PM
pbn85

Originally Posted by slim17265
I found that putting in Amsoil trans man trans oil that the stuff was so slippery I could beat the sincros causing gear clash...I removed it and put in Mobil 1, I think it was 85/140 problem solved.
So youre saying the amsoil caused grinding? Its funny becase as soon as i switched to 75w90 amsoil fluid in my old transmission it started grinding when down shifting from 6th to 5th gear. When i put the new transmission i figured it was best to use the nissan 75w-85
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
IamStrube

Default Is my transmission bad?

Hi guys, I need some advice. I just bought a 2005 Grand touring Roadster with 6-speed. After reading through this post, I see that the transmission is a common problem with the '05. I bought the car used from a dealer with 46k miles. The dealer tells me that he put in a new clutch when he bought it, for reasons unknown. After driving it around a bit there was a very noticeable rattling coming from the transmission. The sound wouldn't happen after a cold start, only after about 20 min of driving. Luckily I had a 1 month warranty and told them to fix it. The shop kept it for a week and gave it back saying they had to put in a new clutch. For the last 3 weeks I haven't heard the rattling again, until now. It is faint, but it is the same noise. Also, when the car warms up there is a strange sound like a errrrr (like old time morris code, not the beeping morris code) when accelerating. Completely random. I can feel a bit of power loss when this starts to happen. I can feel it in the clutch as well. When taking off in 1st it seems harder for it to get in gear. I don't have any problems with gears grinding. So, what I'm trying to get to here is if this sounds like the tell tell sign of a bad tranny. The month warranty has expired now, but the problem that I noticed and that was supposed to be fixed is obviously not fixed. Would the dealership be liable to 'attempt' to fix it again?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
B-Mackin

Im picking up a 6 speed 2007 350z on saturday with 44123 miles on it. After reading this thread I'm now re-thinking this. What do you guys think? I should also tell you I plan on brining this car to the track and running some laps at least 5 times a year and doing a coupe of parking lot drifiting events. Should I go with the VQ35HR or should I stop and look for a 2006? My research has lead me to belive that all years are having these problems and the 2007 model isnt any different. I also dont belive that reliability chart put up on page one. Accoring to it the 2003's are one of the better cars but we all know thats a lie and the the trans's in those suck major as$.

Oh I should tell you I'm not new to track days by any means.

Last edited by B-Mackin; 03-14-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 PM
TexanZ

My tranny also has some trouble shifting into 2nd gear, the syncho is sort of bad, but usual wear and tear for nearly 80k miles. If you buy a car at low miles just make sure you swap fluids with factory fluid atleast for tranny. Some manufactures including nissan make weird *** lube weights specified only for their trannys and need to be followed. I know for 350z you cant use gl4 because it starts to eat at the syncro causing you to grind gears. That being said most of the synthetic brands like mobile 1 use these because it caters to most their customer base. Im a firm believer of full synthetics making a huge different, but I wont touch anything but fluids from the dealer for my tranny.

Last edited by TexanZ; 03-16-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Zero260

If I remember correctly, The Trans fluid is supposed to be GL4 spec fluid, and GL5 spec fluid will cause excessive wear o the synchros
Old 03-17-2012, 10:07 AM
pbn85

Originally Posted by TexanZ
My tranny also has some trouble shifting into 2nd gear, the syncho is sort of bad, but usual wear and tear for nearly 80k miles. If you buy a car at low miles just make sure you swap fluids with factory fluid atleast for tranny. Some manufactures including nissan make weird *** lube weights specified only for their trannys and need to be followed. I know for 350z you cant use gl4 because it starts to eat at the syncro causing you to grind gears. That being said most of the synthetic brands like mobile 1 use these because it caters to most their customer base. Im a firm believer of full synthetics making a huge different, but I wont touch anything but fluids from the dealer for my tranny.
100% agreed. I have an 07 and at 62k miles 5th gear went bad, and it went bad shortly after I put in 75w90 Amsoil. So I bought a new transmission and have only been using OEM 75w85 fluid.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM
kyoo

when you guys say amsoil 75w90 you should clarify if you're referring to the GL4 manual transmission 75w90 or the severe gear, which is GL5.

Looking to clarify, seems the cd009 transmission is more or less a fix for the 03-06, but does not fit the HR 350z. so the 07 has some problems, but it seems the 08 is a little better?

Also, for those developing grinds etc - you guys are double clutch rev matching on downshifts right - not just letting the synchros wind the rpms back up?

Last edited by kyoo; 09-27-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM
raysoy

I have heard but dont quote me.. if your tranny fluid doesnt need to be flushed sometimes flushing it would actually cause more problems. and i have sufffered from this ordered oem tranny fluid from nissan put it in and now sometimes at very cold start if i miss around with the gears itll grind.. although that could be cause im a jack *** as after i learned this i stopped doing it
Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 AM
dykel3fiddyz

Originally Posted by reserved
Well known problem. And ignore those who give you the old "you don't know how to shift" story. Those are people who have been lucky with regard to this issue - nothing more, nothing less!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
kingdom

interesting. I had seen the consumer reports, I have an 05, so it says major transmision problems are more frequent that normal like some of you have pointed out. I took my car to nissan (I got it from carmax) for an inspection and also called a couple mechanics about possible transmission problems. Everybody said theyve never personally had to fix 03, 05 and 07s more than any other year. And mostly just normal clutch replacement after wear.

Sorry to hear about your luck, I only have 27k so hopefully that doesnt happen to me...
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 AM
whatZheck

Originally Posted by TexanZ
My 04 has 88K on it, I am only responsible for the last 2k. I am the 4th owner of the car, and the carfax report showed the tranny mentioned to the dealer by the original owner. That being said, I have zero grind in second or any other gear, either up or down. There are good and bad tranny's, it is the luck of the draw. I tested one car with both 3rd and 5th gear grinds, so I know what you guys are talking about.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by Spork
Your shifting is the problem.
x2.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM
mike_350z

sucks man sorry to hear

Quick Reply: 350Z transmissions are crap (im being nice)