Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moving and I won't have a garage. Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:46 PM
romnation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving and I won't have a garage. Tips?

I am going to be moving soon, and I won't have a garage, and will have to park in the street. Any tips to avoid vandalism? I plan on keeping the car under a cover all winter while I drive my beater, and I have comprehensive coverage on the Z. Anything else I can really do? Will a good coat of wax keep my paint safe from fading due to the sun?

Last edited by romnation; 12-21-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 PM
hyuk28719

I parked all my previous vehicles including Z outside as well. Unfortunately vandalism and hit-and-run can happen whenever and everywhere. We can only minimize these chances by doing certain things. Obviously, controlled environment such as parking garage would be the best option for minizing vandalism/hit-and-run, but I see that you are moving and looks like you have no choice but to park outside.

Do you have theft insurance? Valuable property insurance?
If the neighborhood is "hood-ish" then I would consider buying these insurances for extra protection.

You can also consider alarm system. Everyone knows Nissan's stock alarm sucks. These would add extra protection against vandalism if you can afford this. If you look around, I'm sure you can find a great deal on alarm system.

Finally, use common sense when you street park. Do not leave any valuable items such as laptop, cash, watches, sunglasses etc.. If you have to make sure it is not visible glaring from outside a car. Make sure you park in somewhat remote area so that not many cars can park next to you and try to ding you but also look for a spot that people can easily notice if someone tries to mess with yours (like in front of apt entrance). you know what i mean?

As for car exterior, I washed mine at least every week. Sometimes I get lazy and weather doesn't allow me to wash her but just try to keep her fresh.
Make sure you take care of bird poops immediately and don't let it bake in the sun. People say you only need to wax once a year but I'm no professional at this. I'm sure good waxing will keep your Z from sun exposure.

Anyways good luck with moving and let me know if you need any more advice
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 AM
R3CKLESS

Even if you are required to park on the street. Attempt to find a "court" rather than a straight street. Also find spots on the street where it makes it hard for other people to park near you. In this case being rude is acceptable. Take up unnecessary room.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:01 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are "storing" your car for the winter,have you given thought of parking it
in a rental space that would have at least a overhang to protect it from the elements?
In this area there are many mini-warehouse operations that also have parking for RV'S&
other vehicles.Usually about $100 per month.Also,security is included.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 AM
ShOrTBu2

Originally Posted by JCITY
Since you are "storing" your car for the winter,have you given thought of parking it
in a rental space that would have at least a overhang to protect it from the elements?
In this area there are many mini-warehouse operations that also have parking for RV'S&
other vehicles.Usually about $100 per month.Also,security is included.
This.
You definitely don't want it on the street during the winter, plows will have a hay day with it.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

For the long term (after winter), look into a nice 2 way paging alarm with a motion sensor and tilt sensor. That will pretty much guarantee that if anyone messes with your car, you'll be notified immediately. Add an air horn kit from Harbor Freight for like $30 to have a nice loud alarm. That + the pager from the alarm will make sure you KNOW it's your car if you hear the alarm.

Pro Tip: If you ever see anyone breaking into your car, call the police and tell them you're going to try to go stop them. They'll get there quicker than if you tell them you're just standing in the house watching the thief. I'm not recommending that you actually try to stop the thief though... Just tell the cops you're thinking about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by R3CKLESS
In this case being rude is acceptable. Take up unnecessary room.
I'd advise against this.

You're not hot sh** and nor are our cars Aston Martins by any means. If you're that guy that takes up two parking spots or parallel parks 4 feet behind a driveway, I'd say you're more prone to vandalism than a person that parks normally.

Just be smart, find good places to park, install a security alarm and when you ARE driving the car make sure you don't make any enemies by being a jerk or rolling around in your shiny gold plated Volks.

Also, a bumper bully might be something worth looking into...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 AM
R3CKLESS

Originally Posted by Raybrant
I'd advise against this.

You're not hot sh** and nor are our cars Aston Martins by any means. If you're that guy that takes up two parking spots or parallel parks 4 feet behind a driveway, I'd say you're more prone to vandalism than a person that parks normally.

Just be smart, find good places to park, install a security alarm and when you ARE driving the car make sure you don't make any enemies by being a jerk or rolling around in your shiny gold plated Volks.

Also, a bumper bully might be something worth looking into...
In restrospect, you're right. I guess it just depends on the neighborhood.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Sylvia Zcarr

Car covers generally over a whole winter do more harm than good. The trapped moisture and the wnid whipping it against the car is

Try really hard to get the indoor storage. Sometimes people advertise their garages as well...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
jFran

Tint your windows, Get a Viper Alarm
Old 12-22-2011, 12:50 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Comprehensive will not cover you for a hit and run.
Get full collision on it to cover that.

-10 Years as an Insurance Agent
Old 12-22-2011, 12:59 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When parking out on the street:

-Avoid parking under trees and lamp posts
-Take note of where the sprinklers are and when they operate
-Use a windshield cover

Get in the habit of walking around your car and inspecting the paint for bird droppings and water spots. Keep some detail spray handy and take care of any spots before they damage the paint.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 AM
AuAltima3.5

If I couldn't garage my car I'd get rid of it. Too much to worry about. It's not a Ferrari but it means too much to me.

Just find a storage place and park it. They aren't that expensive for the peace of mind.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive street parked my car from day one. 2 way pager is great, motion sensor will probaby get ur windows broken. Seen it countless times. Shock sensor good enough. Tints good idea.
In the beginning knicks and scraches hurt but you soon get over it. I love my Z but damn im not gona go crazy over it. If **** happens thats why we have insurance. Street parking is not the end of the ****ing world like how some here make it out to be.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 AM
TPete19

Best advice I can give is to never leave anything in your car. People will steal anything nowadays. If you're not driving it through the winter, take off your good wheels and any visible aftermarket parts. And remove any brand stickers if you have any.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Killabee350z

Rent a storage unit big enough for your car.Park it in there being your not driving it for the winter. Maybe $50.00 a month at most ,at least you can sleep good at night knowing your car isnt on the street.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Stance350zee

two words Two Way Pager alarm ... wait thats three , owell
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
royblackwood

I can park my car with the keys in the ignition and sleep all night!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Zhinobi

Put two German shepherd inside your car every night with a bowl of food. That will keep you not worrying but later you got to worry about cleaning the dog ****.