Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

some new mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Jgs94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some new mods

Well I have had my DB Z for about 3 weeks now. I purchased today the Stillen light weight pulley set, Pop Charger, spacer and the HKS(replica) exhaust. I also have purchased one 10inch sub with custom box, new cd deck, and all four new speakers. I also have an appointment to get the windows tinted. I cant wait to get everything installed. Will post pics of the "project". I know these are some minor mods in comparison to some of the sweet Zs on this website but I am pretty excited. Any advice on the mods i have purchased or stuff I should look into would be great!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome!
What made you buy above mentioned mods? Did you do your research? Read up on the Stillen pulley set problems/advantages/disadvatages.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
kswoopz26

nice welcome fellow 350 owner!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Jgs94

I found that people liked the unorth pulleys and stillen had theirs on sale. Didnt think there would be much a difference? noob assumption? details would be great...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Raybrant

Ditch the replica HKS exhaust while you can. It's a POS.

You THINK it looks "alright" for the first few weeks. The entire thing starts rusting up after a month or two. Not to mention it sounds like crap.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a plan to me. Lets do it.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
thespottedcow

congrats, post some pictures
Old 01-08-2012, 03:22 AM
JCITY
Banned

Sounds like you are going to be busy!
Whats your overall plan?What are you hoping to acheive by adding on these parts?
IMO,I'd be careful when buying "replica" exhausts.Its better to spend the extra bucks in the long run to get the real thing.A HKS or a Nismo etc,will bolt right up and start "sounding different/rusting" after a short time.
Its the old,pay for what you get rule that is usually true.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Jgs94

my plan with the parts mentioned is to make my car more responsive and a bit quicker. I am heard mixed reviews oh the replica exhaust and figured for 300 shipped it was worth a shot. I do have some questions for the community though. questions about the light weight pulley set... i have heard mixed reviews and I am confused as to why. People say that it has caused engine damage due to the pulleys not balancing the engine. I am under the impression that the VQ is balanced internally and if that is true then the pulleys shouldnt hurt the engine? Also since I am on this topic... anyone have an opinion on Stillen vs Unorth when it comes to the pulley set??
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome. got pics?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Raybrant

Originally Posted by Jgs94
my plan with the parts mentioned is to make my car more responsive and a bit quicker. I am heard mixed reviews oh the replica exhaust and figured for 300 shipped it was worth a shot. I do have some questions for the community though. questions about the light weight pulley set... i have heard mixed reviews and I am confused as to why. People say that it has caused engine damage due to the pulleys not balancing the engine. I am under the impression that the VQ is balanced internally and if that is true then the pulleys shouldnt hurt the engine? Also since I am on this topic... anyone have an opinion on Stillen vs Unorth when it comes to the pulley set??
Sounds like you need to do more research... Don't f*** with the car until you know what you're doing to it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Jgs94

Ray... thanks for the useless information...if you would have read my post you would know that I have looked into the pulleys and found MIXED reviews. I have also found that the engine is balanced internally which means the pulleys have nothing to do with the balancing of the engine so IMO should have no way of damaging the engine. The point of my last post was to get some opinions or personal experiences on why there are mixed reviews and on which brand of pulley was better. next time don't be an A** and please only post if your going to be helpful... its all part of the learning process... thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Jgs94

Ill have pics up soon.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
t0rqu3

Congrats on the Z pal. I got the light wheel pulleys install and the engine loves to rev freely. The VQ's are internally balanced and will not be effected by the pulleys.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

performance parts and extra weight. Interesting combo
Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Jgs94

Its pretty common... the box and sub are easily removed when I need to lose the weight. When I don't need to worry about weight I can enjoy my music.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM
JCITY
Banned

Cool $300 exhaust system?

When you get your replica HKS in you will find that it won't be a clean bolt on.
Also,it won't last...start to sound crappy.Think about it.A Nismo system is about 1,300 bucks plus ship.You can install yourself or,if not will cost you another $150 to install.What kind product will you get for $300 shipped?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by Raybrant
Ditch the replica HKS exhaust while you can. It's a POS.

You THINK it looks "alright" for the first few weeks. The entire thing starts rusting up after a month or two. Not to mention it sounds like crap.
Don't listin to this guy the replica is fine u might have to add a x pipe if anything ditch the pulleys some people are just ignorant
Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 AM
ctadashi09

Ray... thanks for the useless information...if you would have read my post you would know that I have looked into the pulleys and found MIXED reviews. I have also found that the engine is balanced internally which means the pulleys have nothing to do with the balancing of the engine so IMO should have no way of damaging the engine. The point of my last post was to get some opinions or personal experiences on why there are mixed reviews and on which brand of pulley was better. next time don't be an A** and please only post if your going to be helpful... its all part of the learning process... thanks
oh damn we got a live one here...we got a fighter.

In all seriousness though. The HKS replica exhaust is a complete dead end. I would return it ASAP and spend and extra $200-400 on a used exhaust from the forums that wont fall apart on you after a few months.

As far as the pulley. I dont know much about stillen but have heard good reviews on the Unortho Pulley kit.

The pop charger and spacer are both excellent mods but you wont get much performance without a tune. only your butt dyno will feel the difference.

With the interior and aesthetic mods... whatever floats your boat.