2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 AM
DNash9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Modrummer
True sports car?
Yeah...guess I deserved that...I probably should have worded that differently, I do not consider the RSX to come close to competing with a Z...but I will say that it's decent, although if I got an Acura it would probably be a TSX.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by JCITY
No,can't blame you.But as you are saying,there are priorities you have to face.
Listen,I'm up in years...more than likely older than your parents.
I'm sure you appreciate what they are willing to do...help you buy the car.
From what you have written,I feel you understand what I'm about to say.
Some cars are just cars.Some cars,very few are...just "special".They have what I call a "soul".
The 350Z is one of them.
Out of the 90 odd cars I've owned,only a handful--had "soul".The Z is unique in this regard because its quite forgiving(except in the pocketbook for stuff that you always want to do to it--its never really over.You say it is but
you are just lying...).The Z is vrtually trouble free.Of all the cars I've owned,
the few with "a soul" were usually a pain in the ***.Us that have had a bunch of cars always have one that they wish "they still had/never should have sold".Mine was a 62" Jag E-Type(XKE)roadster.If I had it today,it'd be worth
close to 90K.
Thats not the point.
The point is what "we" went through together.How "we" kept it running.
All the overheating,leaks did'nt matter.It was the experience,the sound,the ride that few cars offer these days.You had this feeling that when you did a fix,"he" said thank you.
Trust me,I owned an original 240Z(Datsun).The 350 is from the same bloodline...pedigree.
Its got a soul.
The other cars you mentioned do not.

Find a way to get that Z!
I agree completely...Worst case scenario, I'll end up with a 90's car for a few years until I can upgrade to the Z, but rest assured that I will definitely be driving one within 5 years. And, on the bright side, there are some decent 300ZX's and 240SX's in my area that I've been looking at.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by 805350z
Everything I read is telling me that FWD sports cars have major torque steer... can someone enlighten me?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:58 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by keniff536
Here are a few things to consider. Whose name will the Z be in? I think you wrote that you will be on your parent's policy. If that is the case, the car will have to be in your parents’ name. I don't think insurance companies allow the car to be in one name and insured in another. But this might be the least expensive(insurance wise) way to go if your parents are willing to do that. You would be added onto their policy and covered on all the cars your parents own. If the car is in your name, rates will be factored around you and only you, which I'm sure would cost more. The only draw back to the car being in your parents' name is that they can come take it whenever your grades drop. Good luck!
Don't think grades should be an issue, and I definitely can't afford 350z insurance on my own on minimum wage, so I'm definitely sticking with my parents' policy.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by terrasmak
College student, you want a car with back seats to fit all the chicks your ganna be banging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9BMEJL-N8

3:02
Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by Suwaidi
From an economical perspective, take this reply into consideration. Buying a car involves a bunch of costs, including: Insurance, Maintenance, MPG (based on car to car), and the end Depreciation value. Since your parents have agreed to buy you the car, you don't have to worry about the initial investment. But, there's the day-to-day gas mileage, your monthly insurance, and any maintenance you have to perform. My advice;

(1) Look at multiple insurance companies, not just one. That means StateFarm, LibertyMutual, Geico, Progressive, Esurance (part of StateFarm), Nationwide, and whatever else you can find. I went with LibertyMutual, so did my roommate, and his friend too since they had the lowest quotes.

Insurance-wise, I would wait until the end of your first semester to start your policy. This is because most companies offer a "Good Student Discount" which is quite significant with most companies, and requires you to maintain a 3.0 or higher, which I'm hoping you'll be able to do.

Insurance depends on multiple variables. I remember reading that age-price won't be decreased until you're 21 or 25. Other than that there's your history, when you got your license, any discounts put into place, and if you're under your parents policy < Much cheaper.

(2) Mileage. I'm making 14MPG commuting 2 miles a day, or 20MPG on the highways. Think about gas prices in your area, and if the end result is worth it.

(3) Depreciation/Maintenance. There's an investment to made after your initial investment. Assuming you're getting a pre-07, you would have to pay any repairs out of your pocket. In comparison to your 2009 example, I'm assuming it would still be covered under warranty.

So, to answer your questions:

I'm just wondering whether the insurance will be doable.

Yes, it is doable providing that you'll be able to cover x amount each month. As I said before, try to find the best price with a reliable company. You could always work to pay off your insurance.

I'm not looking for numbers because those are almost impossible to determine without calling the insurance company (which is not exactly an option at this point because...well, let's be honest, my parents are sick of hearing about the incredible car that is the Nissan 350z).

Most of the insurance companies I've seen (if not all) allow online quotes. Put in your details, your hypothetical car, and get a quote. Note that in the end you can modify your deductibles, etc. - so that makes a HUGE price difference.

If I compare the insurance rates of a 2003 Z to a comparatively priced 2009 Civic EX, will the sports car factor still ruin my insurance?

They factor in a bunch of variables including safety features, age etc. - Best way to find out is to plug it in!

Or will the age of the car bring it down a bit?

I compared my 08 Z to an 11 Mustang and an 11 Camaro - Both the mustang and the camaro had lower rates. So in my test, it was.

In the end, it's up to you. I hope this post helps you in some way.
I will be on my parents' policy, so shopping around isn't an option, but I did get quotes online just for comparison, I posted them earlier in this thread.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by Deteria
Imo, just get w/e you want.

Rule of thumb: You gotta pay to play.

If you can't afford the insurance payment, then you can't play. Call up diff insurance companies n see the rate you'll get. And honestly, if you get a Z, act like typical 18 yr old, show off n total your Z, that only does the rest of us more good. Less Z's around so car won't be seen everywhere like camaros or mustangs.
First I will say that I respect cars and think that far too many people watched Fast and Furious and then went out and got cars that they couldn't handle and didn't deserve and totaled them...I'm not that guy.

Second, definitely agree with you re: camaros and mustangs...but I think you forgot civics and eclipses...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by Josh|Swag
I'm a 21 year old college student, the insurance in my car is in my mother's name, but I'm listed as one of the drivers. Insurance on my car is a little over $450/6 months, so $900-950 a year.

If you can, I'd tell you to take that route.
Just make sure you steer clear of wrecks and tickets because a wreck or a couple of tickets could make your insurance sky rocket. My sister, who is also 21, has had two wrecks, one in which her car was totalled, and her insurance is almost $2k more a year than mine.

As far as this guy telling you to buy an rsx, they're extremely ugly in my opinion. A friend of mine in high school had one, and I doubt insurance would be ALL that much lower, if any.
I agree completely about the RSX... people have told me that they are fast cars for a low price, but honestly I just don't understand the styling. I would rather pay the same price for a twin turbo 300zx or 3000gt
Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by JedixSole
im on the verge of trading my Z for a S2K...

I've heard great things about them, but I don't like convertibles.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by Butros17
IMO I'd take the same route that I did. Go cheap turd car through college (I drove a Hyundai Elantra while completing a 7 year degree in architecture); and use the potential of the Z as incentive for all those days when you're not wanting to work on a project, or get up to make it to that 9am class after pounding dollar pitchers all night. Get through school, and save yourself (ie your parents) a ton of money. And make yourself the promise that once you have degree in hand, go shopping. I graduated in June 07, and picked up my brand new Z like 4 weeks later.

Theres no need for a car at all in college, let alone a Z. Most universities don't even allow freshmen to have cars. Add in the hassle of 15,000 potential drunken haters wandering campus; why dangle a pretty carrot out there for them to mess with?
There's a very good chance that I'll end up getting a Z after rather than during college. And I originally planned to get a cheap motorcycle just to get around campus, but some things changed and I will actually be commuting around 45 minutes (an hour and a half round-trip) to school every day...so I definitely need a car.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DNash9
Everything I read is telling me that FWD sports cars have major torque steer... can someone enlighten me?
FWD sports cars do have major torque steer. In fact, any FWD car has torque steer and the more power you have, the more torque steer you have. I feel RWD is much easier to control but then, I have been driving RWD cars since around 1960. Back then, there were virtually no FWD cars on the market so everyone drove RWD. The FWD cars started coming out in the mid-80's and then the switch over was complete by the mid-90's. But..........RWD is definitely easier to drive since the front wheels only steer and the back wheels handle the power to the road. With FWD, the front wheels have to do everything. Just remember, all of the very good handling cars have never gone to FWD. The BMW's, Mercedes, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis's have always been RWD. Lotus tried a FWD car around 1990 and it was a sales disaster. No one wanted a FWD Lotus. I believe you would find any RWD car to be much easier to drive than FWD, and a lot more fun.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 AM
DNash9

@KornerCarver...everything you said lines up with what I've been reading, so why do all these other posters disagree?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Josh|Swag

I agree completely about the RSX... people have told me that they are fast cars for a low price, but honestly I just don't understand the styling. I would rather pay the same price for a twin turbo 300zx or 3000gt
There's a very good chance that I'll end up getting a Z after rather than during college. And I originally planned to get a cheap motorcycle just to get around campus, but some things changed and I will actually be commuting around 45 minutes (an hour and a half round-trip) to school every day...so I definitely need a car.
Rsx have 160 bhp and the type S model have 200-210 depending on the year. They're ugly and they're pushing a 4 cylinder engine. Not my forte, it's a personal opinion though.

Honestly, because you have to commute an hour and a half a day, I'd say to make sure whatever you decide to get is reliable and efficient on gas. I live on campus and my pockets are drained weekly from driving the Z.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM
DNash9

Originally Posted by Josh|Swag
Rsx have 160 bhp and the type S model have 200-210 depending on the year. They're ugly and they're pushing a 4 cylinder engine. Not my forte, it's a personal opinion though.

Honestly, because you have to commute an hour and a half a day, I'd say to make sure whatever you decide to get is reliable and efficient on gas. I live on campus and my pockets are drained weekly from driving the Z.
Well thankfully the reason I'm not getting a dorm is that my parents decided it would be cheaper to commute than to pay for a dorm and, as a result, will be paying for my gas. Now, I'm not gonna buy a Dodge Ram with a HEMI, but I also don't have to drive a Prius, any car should be fine.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 AM
R350Zz33

Well thankfully the reason I'm not getting a dorm is that my parents decided it would be cheaper to commute than to pay for a dorm and, as a result, will be paying for my gas. Now, I'm not gonna buy a Dodge Ram with a HEMI, but I also don't have to drive a Prius, any car should be fine.
i drove my moms lifted ram 1500 hemi 4x4 befor the z it dident have a posi lol
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, when people bring up suggesting a RSX instead, it's mostly out of trolling purposes ;o Not sure if you've picked up on that yet.

But seriously tho, get w/e you want. It's your parents' $. If you can't afford to pay your share (insurance / gas or w/e they want you to pay), then you obviously can't afford to play the Z game.

Though people here obviously have different suggestions due to their diff life stories. Just keep in mind, just cuz you may love the Z doesn't mean other ppl do the same. You are also bringing it to a college. Car prolly will get dinged up from people not giving a crap when opening doors or what not. I don't personally think it's the smartest idea, unless you want to show off n impress the ladies. And if that's your goal, then more power to you. I didn't get a Z until I got a full time job after I graduated and paid for the Z myself. I drove my last car throughout college, and it took quite the beating (paint) where I lived at. Tree sap, dust, lack of time for washing / waxing / polishing. Also the Z is much more fun if you have $ to mod it, so unless you are actually working n making good $, the Z is pretty much just like any other car; a form of transportation.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

@KornerCarver...everything you said lines up with what I've been reading, so why do all these other posters disagree?
I think it is from lack of experience. I've been driving RWD cars for about 50 years and love driving RWD. I have also owned several FWD cars since that was all that was available. My Dodge Grand Caravan is FWD and I am happy with that but then the Caravan has no sporting intentions. I believe RWD is the only way to go if you plan on any spirited driving. Logicallyl speaking, look at racing cars. How many Formula 1 or Indycars have FWD.........NONE. Virtually all true racing cars are RWD so there must be something that makes them handle better. For a better understanding of RWD, just visit rearwheeldrive dot org. I spelled the dot because this website will not allow links to other forums.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM
paulmess7

Originally Posted by 805350z
I'm glad our convincing helped you. You will not crash on thanksgiving afterall. Start with FWD, such as the Type S.
LOL!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I think it is from lack of experience. I've been driving RWD cars for about 50 years and love driving RWD. I have also owned several FWD cars since that was all that was available. My Dodge Grand Caravan is FWD and I am happy with that but then the Caravan has no sporting intentions. I believe RWD is the only way to go if you plan on any spirited driving. Logicallyl speaking, look at racing cars. How many Formula 1 or Indycars have FWD.........NONE. Virtually all true racing cars are RWD so there must be something that makes them handle better. For a better understanding of RWD, just visit rearwheeldrive dot org. I spelled the dot because this website will not allow links to other forums.
I'm going to have to say that FWD is easier to drive, but RWD will always be on the faster car around the track. Even around a track, fwd is easier to drive, unless you know what your doing, you moving well, and can't get the dam thing to rotate. But for the average driver, fwd will be the safer car.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM
BOATS N HOES

Get an early 90s Honda. Accord if you can.
As long as you keep up with routine maint it'll run.
20 year old 4cyl sedan will have dirt cheap ins and about 30mpg
Room for **** in the back.

If you're on a college budget, any thing other than a budget car doesn't make sense.

Also, you're still young enough that having a car PERIOD will help with chicks. Don't need a fancy *** sports car when you're 18 if you have any kind of game.

Quick Reply: First Car