Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I'm going to have to say that FWD is easier to drive, but RWD will always be on the faster car around the track. Even around a track, fwd is easier to drive, unless you know what your doing, you moving well, and can't get the dam thing to rotate. But for the average driver, fwd will be the safer car.
I don't agree that FWD is safer than RWD cars. FWD will understeer off the road if you get into a corner too fast. With RWD, you can use the throttle to help steer the car through the corner. I'm not talking drifting here, I'm talking proper use of the throttle to balance the car through the corner.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deteria
But seriously tho, get w/e you want. It's your parents' $.
Awesome advice Exactly what is wrong with this country.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I'm going to have to say that FWD is easier to drive, but RWD will always be on the faster car around the track. Even around a track, fwd is easier to drive, unless you know what you’re doing, you moving well, and can't get the dam thing to rotate. But for the average driver, fwd will be the safer car.

Originally Posted by BOATS N HOES
If you're on a college budget, any thing other than a budget car doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I don't agree that FWD is safer than RWD cars. FWD will under steer off the road if you get into a corner too fast. With RWD, you can use the throttle to help steer the car through the corner. I'm not talking drifting here, I'm talking proper use of the throttle to balance the car through the corner.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. In my opinion, Age and experience are what makes RWD a better choice, neither of which the OP has. Hence, the reason why many of us believe a FWD car would be best for the OP. Again, this is just my opinion.

Last edited by jerseystyle; 03-02-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol it's not like we really have a say on his actions. We can only offer suggestions. His parents are buying. More power to him. Obtaining the car is one thing, but maintaining it in operational condition (aka not totalling it) is another ;o I'm gonna say I wasn't lucky enough to have a Z bought for me when I was 17-18 (which was good for me cuz it teaches me the appreciation of hard earned $ paying for it now myself and treating the car right), but I am thankful my parents did buy me my 1st car. OP is just lucky his parents willing to buy him a Z. Now if he f*cks up, we can always do the traditional forum flaming / trollin threads like the thanksgiving crashed into a pole ;D

And also, I don't think FWD and RWD have any major difficulty differences. It's not drastic like driving manual or auto. It just has slightly different characteristics when it comes to handling, traction, and power delivery. I personally hate FWD because it makes the front heavy and boat-like.

Last edited by Deteria; 03-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
JedixSole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNash9
he did it in the front seat tho.. your gonna want 4 seats so you have variety like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
Old 03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
JedixSole

**** if i were you id get a 05-07 sti.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Apocelypse

There's a very good chance that I'll end up getting a Z after rather than during college. And I originally planned to get a cheap motorcycle just to get around campus, but some things changed and I will actually be commuting around 45 minutes (an hour and a half round-trip) to school every day...so I definitely need a car.
I'm going to assume this means you are living at home in that case.

My advice would be to hold off on the Z until you can afford it yourself. It'll be that much sweeter!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Flick Montana

Get a beater. Any man worth his salt totals his first car.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
SLeRoux92

Another kid headed for college to get an engineering degree. A dime a dozen, lol.

Honestly if you don't know the handling differences between a FWD and RWD car, you really have no business in a Z- not trying to sound rude, but seriously man. And then saying nothing but the RSX type s is a true sports car...

FWIW, I'll go ahead and give you my recommendation, since I really do feel bad for you since we're from the same state and you clearly had no idea how this forum is about kids in their Z's...

go take a look at a nice camaro ZL1- much safer and built to carry low insurance rates

Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
yellowxhoodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not about to read all the replies.

Your 18 years old...act like it.

Call your insurance agent yourself with a VIN or two from cars your looking at to give yourself a rough idea of how much it will cost.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Flick Montana

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
Your 18 years old...act like it.
Says the guy who spells like a 9 year old.

Although, you're right.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 AM
hpka365

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i've learned anything about insurance companies it's more about the demographic of the people who drive the car rather than the car itself. The Z is kind of a middle point right now because a large demographic of people drive it.
Where you live is another huge factor. If you live in a somewhat major city like me then insurance is higher than if you lived in bum **** north dakota. I've gotten quotes for vipers and corvettes that are less than what I pay now beecause the demographic of those people is very different than those that drive an evo.

I'm 19 and my insurance for my gto and z is about $300 a month. Before people read that and think I'm getting raped, I'd like to say that I don't know anybody my age that pays much less than that unless they don't have the actual car covered.

Another thing to consider is looking for insurance companies other than your parents. I don't know what it's like where you are but out here if you're young,geico by far has the cheapest insurance rates.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
DNash9

Forgot to check the forum for a while, and I'm not about to respond to all the postings, but I will say thanks for the input, both positive and negative, and that I think I'm gonna hold off on the Z for now. As much as I love the car, I do agree that it'll be better once I actually earn the money to buy one for myself. I've also realized that my parents are really focused on safety, and are really pushing for an SUV or a truck...so maybe an old SVT Lightning or a quick, small truck will be enough to satisfy my lust for the Z till I get out of college. I will say, though, in response to those saying that it is too nice for my first car...I'm not ungrateful. I realize what my parents are doing in buying me a car, realize how lucky I am, but also am required to keep a 4.0 GPA and a job, or whatever vehicle I get gets put on Craigslist and I'm riding the bus to school.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
BoomerZ33

good choice. you realized you're still young and not financially ready to own one without assistance. good luck in school.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Itzcashew

Forgot to check the forum for a while, and I'm not about to respond to all the postings, but I will say thanks for the input, both positive and negative, and that I think I'm gonna hold off on the Z for now. As much as I love the car, I do agree that it'll be better once I actually earn the money to buy one for myself. I've also realized that my parents are really focused on safety, and are really pushing for an SUV or a truck...so maybe an old SVT Lightning or a quick, small truck will be enough to satisfy my lust for the Z till I get out of college. I will say, though, in response to those saying that it is too nice for my first car...I'm not ungrateful. I realize what my parents are doing in buying me a car, realize how lucky I am, but also am required to keep a 4.0 GPA and a job, or whatever vehicle I get gets put on Craigslist and I'm riding the bus to school.
Graduate and buy the 380Z in 2016.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
philliesphan29

I think the 2003 Z would be cheaper. When I was getting my first car a few months ago, my choices were a 2009 Eclipse and a 2003 350z and it came down to the insurance. The Eclipse's insurance was around $240 a month and the 350z's insurance was like $150 a month. So the age is definitely a factor. I also get a discount for having a 4.0 GPA and whatnot. But there are also little factors that affect your insurance costs including color of car, your accident/ticket record, and where you park the car at night. Good luck with your new car! Post pics when you get it.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 AM
DNash9

If I get lucky and get a Z, great...I definitely wouldn't say no...But I'm just beginning to realize that it would be a lot easier to just go with a truck for a few years until I have more cash saved up.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM
DNash9

Default Change of Plans

So a few days ago my parents actually told me I could either have a truck or a dorm. Considering the fact that if I chose the truck I would have a 80 mile roundtrip commute, I went with the dorm. Now, here's my question. Since the Z is obviously WAY out of my price range now...what cars should I be looking at after I've saved 3-5k from a part time job between now and sometime next year?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a used Kia
Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Dwreck91

I think a 2000+ Honda Civic would be a good choice, cheap, reliable, good gas mileage, decent looking cars.

Quick Reply: First Car