2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

#%^@%*@ Curbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 02:39 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #%^@%*@ Curbs

My car has been garaged for about a month now, and I had too take it in to get the rest of the alarm installed. The only day I drive the damn car and I run over a damn curb.

Well, I didn't see the curb when I made a right turn into the stereo outlet and BAM I drove over it and I felt scraping undeath. I was so pissed, thinking I would have a bent muffler, curbed wheels, ect.

Well luckily, all I got was a 1 inch scrape on the right rear mud flap. You can barely see it. No other damage, wheels were not scratched, THANK GOD!!!!!!!!

I looked underneath and saw some scrapes but nothing major and no damge to the muffler. I will check more when I get the car home tonight.

I am one lucky guy.

BEWARE OF CURBS People, they actually move on us Z drivers out there!

I have no problems seeing out of my Maxima, but since I haven't driven it in a while, I wasn't used to the poor visibility, ect.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:51 PM
SweatyPalm

You are lucky. The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. The driver side wheels were scraped. My heart is still bleeding.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Dissolved

Sorry to hear that zand02. Pretty common for most of us. I was visiting a friend in Salisbury,MD a few months ago. Made a left into what I THOUGHT was the entrance to a gas station. Ended up being a curb. Man did that scrape hurt my ears. Ruined my night. Luckily the damage is hard to see (unless you're on your back under the car)
Old 01-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really got to watch out for those curbs, they sneak up on you.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:27 PM
jikman01

I'm reading this and actually laughing pretty hard not cause running your Z into a curb is funny, but because I just did it last week myself!!!

I've been driving for 15 years and never done anything of the sort.

I went to take my step-daughter to get a job application at a strip plaza that was being constructed and I did not see the curb that was in between the spot that I was parked in and the next one.

When I backed up (not far enough obviously) and took off.....BANG...SCRAPE....OUCH!!!!!

I thought I took the whole front bumper off. I did not even want to get out of the car. The construction people where like "he just hit the curb!!!" (very insightful).

I tried to get out in reverse, but no luck, the tires would just spin. The front two tires were resting on freshly put dirt as the curb was just put there the day before!!!

The curb just snuck up on me!!!!

Lucky for me when I did finally get out of the car to look at the damage, there was no visable damage. Just a tiny bit of scraping underneath the sides of the front bumper. I still can't belive I didn't tear the lip spoiler off.

Anyway, long story short, the construction people tried to push the front while I backed out, but no luck. Then one guy had a great idea to jack up each side of the car and he cut some 6 by 1 wood boards to put underneath the tires. I rolled back up onto the curb and then he moved the boards to where the car would drop off of the curb to give me a couple extra inches of clearance and I was FREE!!!

Oh my God, if you haven't experienced this yet, be CAREFULL as the curbs do jump out at you!!!

Last edited by jikman01; 01-03-2004 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:01 AM
ZRated03

LoL, Yo.. I curbed my track awhile ago. Apparently Z's are curb-prone cause in 4 years of driving I'd never hit a curb, figures.. get your first brand new car and you do something stupid. I Didn't see mine either, oh well.. Must be a 2003 Z thing. (assuming your Z's are all 2003's)
Old 01-03-2004, 03:03 AM
ZRated03

Oh, and any idea if you can fix the Rays 18" wheels? I ended up dinging the front drivers side rim. I rather fix it than buy a new one. and the rims I want are gonna set me back $6,000 and change so I can't get those yet lol
Old 01-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Primaltone

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. I curbed my right front Rays rim on my track a couple of months ago, while about 6 of my friends watched. Curbs DO jump out in front of Z's!

I too need advice on getting my rim fixed. Luckily, it looks to be only cosmetic damage.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:06 PM
GreenE69s

i just did the same thing...I was backing up for a parallel park..I check my distance from the curb and It seems like I was good.. so i started to back up and the next thing i notice is this loud scratching sound and a pain in my chest.

Now the edge of my back passenger rim is all scratched up and the back pass. mud flap has very noticeable scratches on it.

the thing that gets me is that I actually check my distance from the curb and I still scratched it.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:36 PM
eddytsi

you're so lucky you're wheels weren't scratched. i know now, i'll be a lot more careful going near curbs.