Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All The OGs. Alberto, DavidV, Ect, Ect..Tell Me How To Build My Z!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM
hugo350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fantasy "build" this thread is
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
xX Lil Oly Xx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Don't waste your money on engine damper, grounding kit, headers.

Do Berk HFC. Pass on plenum spacer and do MREV2 instead. Exhaust is a toss-up, not much power there anyway, pick one for sound, weight savings, looks.

Start off by reading this...
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ns-your-z.html

and

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/197329-the-top-100-common-questions.html
DavesZ#3 the MREV2 is for the rev up engine.

Get Osiris Tune!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
shyun1250

Ok so I'm trying to make headway with a few things.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The MREV2 is for the Rev up engine.
So I would benefit more from a 5/16 iso thermal copper spacer instead.

Would I see a huge difference if I went with a 1/2 spacer over the 5/16? or is it not worth the $$. I realize I would have to do quite a few things for a 1/2.

I heard about the ECU and reflash while reading the thread that was linked by Dave. It was saying that I should finish my bolt on mods before going in for a tune.

Sucks about the MREV2 though from what I read on the motordyne website, looks like I could have reached most of the gains I wanted with that mod alone.

I was also reading up on the HFC and test pipes. The only thing that I am concerned with is that I may get hassled a lot in British Columbia... I would need to read up on the provincial laws but were a bunch of tree huggers up here So I would guess I would run into problems. I'm replacing the catback and Y pipe anyways so HFC would seem like an appropriate mod.

Originally Posted by Alberto
You lost me at A/T
I know....
Not really anything I could do about that one...
I even went as far as reading up on a tranny swap to M/T but a lot of cutting would be involved, and I don't want to butcher a car with only 28k miles.
Selling isn't really an option for me atm.

Originally Posted by hugo350z
fantasy "build" this thread is
I don't understand how that helps or makes sense right now...

Originally Posted by realist alive

it probably doesn't feel as fast because you are getting used to the Z. When i first got mine it felt like a Ferrari, now not so much. Once you get the mod bug you will just be chasing HP
Now that you mention it. Sounds about right.
But still feels awesome when you floor it

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-03-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
xX Lil Oly Xx

Originally Posted by shyun1250
They still want pics of your car!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
shyun1250

Even though its stock??
The parts are just sitting in my living room :3

If so I can post em up if you guys like.

Btw found this post on another thread.

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
OK, people really need to get their info straight here.

The MREV2 is a modified DE lower plenum. It is NOT just a DE plenum that happens to work on the HR.
It has been shown already, in detail, that even the DE gains well from the MREV2 lower, i wish i'd found that fact out before i bought the spacer.

ON THE DE ENGINE:

MREV2 on it's own, will gain more than the 5/16th spacer on it's own.

Both together will gain more than either one on it's own. The biggest delta is with the MREV2 though.

paqman, you're welcome, the gains are notable when they're together, my priority right now is the Shockwave exhaust, but in the future, i will add the MREV2 to my 5/16th spacer.
The common misconception, possibly due to the earlier MREV's (MREV and MREV+) i believe they may not have really made gains on the DE, but that i do not know for sure. What i do know for sure, is that the MREV2 works great on the DE engine.

There is no real point (IMHO) to get the crawford, i think it will null the spacer, besides, running the MD stuff will allow use the stock strut bar as well

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-03-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Godzirrra922

You lost me at A/T

I agree there, I'm not trying to be critical, but I'm going to be. Why drop tons of money/time into an automatic?

Edit: Just read your response to the guy I quoted. Why not look into to selling your Z and looking around for a manual?

Last edited by Godzirrra922; 04-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drop weight, rotating mass (wheels/tires) if you can.

Lightweight battery.

Single Ti exhaust. I had a SICK JIC single that weighed 9.8lbs for a complete cat back

Test pipes.

Crank pulley (I recall liking this down low, back when I went thru the NA mod cycle)

Y-pipe

Tune

3.5FD

You can get the car down into the 30XXlb range EASY.

Ditch the headers, plenum/spacer, and intake. Car will be capable of low 13's if driven correctly on a good track with that setup. Its been proven.

Instead guys do BS mods + no tune + heavy whees and wonder why they spent $2500 and are slower than stock.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Solid advice
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by Godzirrra922
I agree there, I'm not trying to be critical, but I'm going to be. Why drop tons of money/time into an automatic?

Edit: Just read your response to the guy I quoted. Why not look into to selling your Z and looking around for a manual?
It's b/c the cars been in the family since 2003 when the Z first arrived in N. America. It's got a lot of history and its more sentimental than anything. I recently bought the car off my family so regardless it wouldn't feel.

And if you look at my list below I only have two real "mods" on the list.
The pop charger and plenum spacer.

The grounding kit, although not worth it on a M/T, apparently has really good benefits for a A/T in regards to throttle response etc.

The engine damper is really for engine management.

Recently when I took the car to the shop they told me that I would have to replace the Y pipe and I should look into replacing the exhaust as well.
Happened to come across a steal of a price for the exhaust and aftermarket Y pipes are less restrictive and are cheaper than what the shop is trying to charge me for a replacement oem Y pipe.

Drop weight, rotating mass (wheels/tires) if you can.

Lightweight battery.

Single Ti exhaust. I had a SICK JIC single that weighed 9.8lbs for a complete cat back

Test pipes.

Crank pulley (I recall liking this down low, back when I went thru the NA mod cycle)

Y-pipe

Tune

3.5FD

You can get the car down into the 30XXlb range EASY.

Ditch the headers, plenum/spacer, and intake. Car will be capable of low 13's if driven correctly on a good track with that setup. Its been proven.

Instead guys do BS mods + no tune + heavy whees and wonder why they spent $2500 and are slower than stock.
Sounds solid.

I will begin my research then. Got to waste the whole afternoon reading a novel of a thread on MREV2's haha. good read but seems like I wont be needing it from what you are saying.

I already own a 5zigen exhaust but it seems to be quite light. Perhaps not as light as the Jic on though.

Looking up tuning as we speak. trying to find a local shop here in Vancouver.

Can you help me out about the test pipes? I've read a lot of debate between this and the HFC but little real empirical data has proven either one as a solid winner in this. I also will likely have the issue with emissions...

I also will need someone to explain what a 3.5 FD is and whether the crank pulley is applicable for A/T. I am not too sure.

In any case headers, intake and spacer will be ditched However I was pretty interested in the write up about the power chamber. I did want to try that out. No one seems to be running it.

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-03-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 AM
JCITY
Banned

I'll be honest.
From what I've experienced,MOST times a guy posts a,"this is my plan",they never
do it.Or,a year later,they are still talking about doing it.
Maybe because when I spend the time planning something,I DO IT,this running your mouth without doing the finished product gets under my skin.
Hope your plan gets done.The forum members have sure give some excellent feedback.
Thats why we are here!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an aftermarket Intake, Motordyne ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX2 exhausts, all the Motordyne spacers / plenum or w/e else they make for the VQ35DE. Get a RevUp Osiris tune afterwards. You should be able to hit 260+whp no problem w/ those. Didn't the VQ35DE dyno ~ 240whp? http://forums.maxima.org/2884417-post33.html

Last edited by Deteria; 05-01-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

You lost me at A/T
Nothing wrong with an Auto, as long as your someones trophy wife or handycapped.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
realist alive

Originally Posted by JCITY
I'll be honest.
From what I've experienced,MOST times a guy posts a,"this is my plan",they never
Maybe because when I spend the time planning something,I DO IT,this running your mouth without doing the finished product gets under my skin.
Hope your plan gets done.The forum members have sure give some excellent feedback.
Thats why we are here!
give him a break he seams to take advice well, followed by a little bit of research after advice is given. he has also already purchased some mods and was going to waste a lot of money before some of the other members spoon fed some advice.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enough with the AT bashing and stay on topic.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Itzcashew

Idk to me i think spacers are a good add-on for non REV-UP DE. Though I could be wrong since I've had spacers on for so long i dont remember what it felt like without.

Everything else Alberto said is spot on though.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM
hugo350z

Originally Posted by shyun1250
I posted this because your thread title says "critique my build". I read it, and the "build" has not even been done yet. You should change the title to "build advice", even though NA bolt ons are not considered a "build". Anyways..yeah.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by hugo350z
I posted this because your thread title says "critique my build". I read it, and the "build" has not even been done yet. You should change the title to "build advice", even though NA bolt ons are not considered a "build". Anyways..yeah.
Understood, now that you have explained your reasoning it makes more sense.
If it is possible can an op please change the title to something more appropriate to the topic please. I apparently fail at this... lol

Originally Posted by JCITY
I'll be honest.
Thats why we are here!
I am glad to say that a lot of modification are actually going to happen. After a pretty big tax return and some pretty good saving habits over the past two years, yes I've been prepping for this for two years, I've got some financial backing and I actually NEED to replace my catback and Y pipe. I think I will be fine, thank you for the concern and yes for the most part, the community here has been very supportive in the learning process.
I want to make it clear that im no teenage kid who just wants to slap a turbo on a car his parents bought him just because he watched fast and furious 100x. I'm more into efficiency mods.

Originally Posted by Deteria
Get an aftermarket Intake, Motordyne ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX2 exhausts, all the Motordyne spacers / plenum or w/e else they make for the VQ35DE. Get a RevUp Osiris tune afterwards. You should be able to hit 260+whp no problem w/ those. Didn't the VQ35DE dyno ~ 240whp? http://forums.maxima.org/2884417-post33.html
What I find interesting is that a lot of people on here really back Motordyne whereas my local forum, NiClub or Nissan Infiniti Club, really stands behind fast intentions haha.

Anyways thank you for the input.
I'm still debating between the 06+ airbox with K&N filter or trying out the power chamber intake I listed below. I wanna test it out and let the community know about my findings.

I spent 2.5 hours last night reading up on a thread which talked about MREV2 lower plenum for DE engines. What was discussed was the benefits of combining the lower plenum with the spacer. Apparently the spacer only give a WHP gain of 3 over the lower plenums and would require either a ecu reflash or osiris tune. Idk if I'm ready for the osiris quite yet so I might hold off on that and the spacer until I am ready haha. I'm still new to ECU's so I plan on spending the next week, reading up on the topic

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
Idk to me i think spacers are a good add-on for non REV-UP DE. Though I could be wrong since I've had spacers on for so long i dont remember what it felt like without.

Everything else Alberto said is spot on though.
Agreed. However I head that replacing the lower plenum with the motordyne MREV2 has better gains and if you have a non-rev up you can do a core swap and get a rebate. making the lower plenum purchase a better "bang for buck" than the spacer. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Originally Posted by realist alive
give him a break he seams to take advice well, followed by a little bit of research after advice is given. he has also already purchased some mods and was going to waste a lot of money before some of the other members spoon fed some advice.
Thanks Realist Alive,

I'm new to this whole modding thing.
Never really considered engine mods until recently.
It's been a crazy few days trying to play catch up.
Still fun though so can't complain

Last edited by jerseystyle; 05-03-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM
TheWan

For NA application, Borla TD exhaust showed most hp gain (11 whp) and Stillen exhaust showed most torque gain (like... 9wtq I believe? There's a article on it where they dyno compared 5-6 exhausts... I can't find it now.) Hope you didn't get 3" exhaust for the noise since that will make you lose power. I felt the most gain when I installed resonated test pipes. You'll probably hate straight pipe without resonator since it will rasp like a ****. If you are not a man, and want to whine about the exhaust smell, get the high flow cat and pay 2-300 dollars more for it. Emission testing isn't that hard to pass (unless you live in Cali) if you know the right people. Lighter wheels makes a big difference too. (like Enkei RPF1)

I also had similar goal as you. I told myself "I'm staying NA!".. After couple bolt-ons (exhaust, plenum spacer, test pipe and intake) I started turbo fund......... You're always going to want more power. It is really true what others say. You WILL want more power. and only way to get that is from Forced Induction (turbo/supercharger). Just save up for turbo... trust me. Auto feels amazing with FI since you pretty much always stay spooled up. and you can shut these people trying to bash AT. (I opted for manual though. )
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM
shyun1250

Originally Posted by TheWan
For NA application, Borla TD exhaust showed most hp gain (11 whp) and Stillen exhaust showed most torque gain (like... 9wtq I believe? There's a article on it where they dyno compared 5-6 exhausts... I can't find it now.) Hope you didn't get 3" exhaust for the noise since that will make you lose power. I felt the most gain when I installed resonated test pipes. You'll probably hate straight pipe without resonator since it will rasp like a ****. If you are not a man, and want to whine about the exhaust smell, get the high flow cat and pay 2-300 dollars more for it. Emission testing isn't that hard to pass (unless you live in Cali) if you know the right people. Lighter wheels makes a big difference too. (like Enkei RPF1)

I also had similar goal as you. I told myself "I'm staying NA!".. After couple bolt-ons (exhaust, plenum spacer, test pipe and intake) I started turbo fund......... You're always going to want more power. It is really true what others say. You WILL want more power. and only way to get that is from Forced Induction (turbo/supercharger). Just save up for turbo... trust me. Auto feels amazing with FI since you pretty much always stay spooled up. and you can shut these people trying to bash AT. (I opted for manual though. )
Dang, I was noob when I purchased my exhaust, seems like I really shoulda done my homework before going out and grabbing it. Like I said before though it was dirt cheap, so much so that I don't even want to say how much I got it for. The problem with test pipes like you said isn't so much the smell but the fact that I live in tree hugging Canada and British Columbia at that. Where environmental activism is huge... =S. And unfortunately I don't know the right people...

Haha the HP bug eh? I really hope not I only want a little more kick and then I'll likely be working on the body of the car a bit (lots of rock chips and dings etc from 9 years of wear and tear).

Hopefully I can stop before I go crazy with F/I, I'll need to start saving up for a family car.

Last edited by shyun1250; 05-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Motordyne has pretty good proven gains. Look up the vids on the Motordyne setup on youtube and see for yourself. Also... hear the exhaust in person. I've heard plenty of other 350z exhausts and they all sound like crap with the rasps / popping. I was hesitant on getting the Motordyne Shockwave TDX2 exhaust at 1st, being it is priced at ~$1500 which is a bit high when I can get alternatives for < $1k. But I can guarantee you won't regret as I have yet to regret it till this day. Also, recordings don't do justice on this exhaust. You have to hear it in person

Quick Reply: Calling All The OGs. Alberto, DavidV, Ect, Ect..Tell Me How To Build My Z!