Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Full Intake System w/ spacers, etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 AM
PaqmanBluZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Intake System w/ spacers, etc

Hey my350z,

I have been doing a tone of searching both on Google and on here and couldn't really find and exact match or answer my own question. Maybe I'm typing the wrong keywords in... idk, I just couldn't find an answer.

I wanted to know if anyone has a full intake system setup. I have VQ35DE Non-RevUp motor and was looking at intake system possibilities and combos. I was looking at numerous parts and wanted to see which one(s) would best benefit me. Then I thought about combining all of them...

Here's the question.

If I get an upgraded Upper Plenum from CrawfordZ Performance, and combine it with MotorDyne's Manifolds and Spacers,

(http://www.motordyneusa.com/index.ph...id=4&Itemid=13)

What advice can you give about using the 5/16" Copper ISO Thermal Kit, the MREV2 Lower Plenum, the Manifold Spacer, and the Copper ISO Thermal Upgrade in conjunction with the upgraded upper plenum?? Power lost? Power Gained? No difference? Not recommended? What do you think?

I know there may be some clearance issues with the stock strut bar, but what about if I go with an aftermarket bar? (Like Stillen, ARC, Crawford, etc.)

Would all of these upgraded plenums and spacers actually do me well or hurt me? in terms of power and fitment.

If all the parts combined will not work, what would be the best combo for an intake system? From the the given pieces?

I'm pretty dead set on these parts and brands, so please refrain from posting about other parts or brands.

I would like to get some info about this set up before actually buying them.
Has anyone ever had this set up before??
Please list any pros / cons if you had this setup before or in general.
Also any issues.

Any help and advice would be great! Thanks.
Hope to hear back soon.
If you were somehow able to find an answer to my questions in the forums, please let me know. I couldn't find one myself.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 AM
PaqmanBluZ

bump.... anyone? :/
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 AM
carsfreak88

mrev2 will have hp gains only on a revup motor
if ur car is a no rev just do a motordybe 5/16 spacer and a cai or a short ram
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Itzcashew

Whoa whoa whoa why are you throwing money around like that?

CrawfordZ = replaces the top plenum meaning no need for spacers

MD MREV2 lower plenum = designed for REVUP engines

MD 5/16 Spacers = Best bang for the buck, no need to replace the OEM plenum. Just bolt it right in

If you wanna spend more money you're welcome to buy me parts anytime.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK here's the deal. I know you have the older motor, same as mine.

The MREV2 will work and give you power on your engine, mostly lower down torque.

The spacer will also give you more power and torque, it will also fix the design flaw with the original plenum that restricts air to the front two cylinders. (to me, when driving, it smooths out the revs between 4k and 6k, before the spacer, it felt restricted and vibrated)

The MREV2 and spacer do compliment each other, most increase comes from the MREV2 though.

I don't think you need the upper at all, the spacer fixes that.

The MD stuff will mean you can keep your stock strut bar, no problems.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM
r_seng

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX

The MREV2 will work and give you power on your engine, mostly lower down torque.

The spacer will also give you more power and torque, it will also fix the design flaw with the original plenum that restricts air to the front two cylinders. (to me, when driving, it smooths out the revs between 4k and 6k, before the spacer, it felt restricted and vibrated)

The MREV2 and spacer do compliment each other, most increase comes from the MREV2 though.

Well this pretty much answers all of the questions I had, thank you sir. By the way, what mid pipe and axle back are you running? Just curious as I only saw the ART and XYZ pipes on your sig.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Stock mid and axle back for the next month or so until my Shockwave system comes
Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
ksmin1153

theres no need to get the mrev2 if he has a de non rev-up. wont show him gains much.. at all.

the reasons why the rev ups gain so much with the mrev2 is bc they changed the lower plenum design when they made the rev up engines, and the mrev2s are made from non rev-up lower plenums.

OP, save the money that youd spend on the mrev2 and put that towards other mods. mrev2 is really only for the rev ups, you wont see gains
Old 04-28-2012, 07:19 PM
PaqmanBluZ

Originally Posted by carsfreak88
mrev2 will have hp gains only on a revup motor
if ur car is a no rev just do a motordybe 5/16 spacer and a cai or a short ram
really? i heard/read somewhere that it also benefits the DE pretty well also..

thanks for the info. this really helped. was there noticeable gains when you had the combo on it? just wondering, since many seem to say it doesn't do much for our motors..

thanks for the replies so far... pretty helpful. but just to clear things up, i don't really plan on "throwing money around" lol well at least not in the hundreds like it seems.. i was just curious about said combo because there is a salvage yard nearby my place with most of these parts and i was just curious about how this combo would effect the performance...

would the MD stuff and Crawford cancel each other out? are they basically the same thing? basically what i'm asking is would i lose if i combo'd the two?? (since i already have one of them on the way to me )
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

OK, people really need to get their info straight here.

The MREV2 is a modified DE lower plenum. It is NOT just a DE plenum that happens to work on the HR.
It has been shown already, in detail, that even the DE gains well from the MREV2 lower, i wish i'd found that fact out before i bought the spacer.

ON THE DE ENGINE:

MREV2 on it's own, will gain more than the 5/16th spacer on it's own.

Both together will gain more than either one on it's own. The biggest delta is with the MREV2 though.

paqman, you're welcome, the gains are notable when they're together, my priority right now is the Shockwave exhaust, but in the future, i will add the MREV2 to my 5/16th spacer.
The common misconception, possibly due to the earlier MREV's (MREV and MREV+) i believe they may not have really made gains on the DE, but that i do not know for sure. What i do know for sure, is that the MREV2 works great on the DE engine.

There is no real point (IMHO) to get the crawford, i think it will null the spacer, besides, running the MD stuff will allow use the stock strut bar as well
Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 AM
PaqmanBluZ

The MREV2 is a modified DE lower plenum. It is NOT just a DE plenum that happens to work on the HR.
It has been shown already, in detail, that even the DE gains well from the MREV2 lower, i wish i'd found that fact out before i bought the spacer.
I did a quick search on this matter and found it to be true... MD has a few dyno charts showing it. I failed to notice them before.
Good info.

i'll see how this combo / set up will go. Waiting to hear back from Crawford and MotorDyne. I'll see what they say, and then perhaps give it a try since the parts at the salvage yard are pretty cheap. I'll post my combo / set up results, but that won't be for a while.

Anyone else feel free to post advice... ESPECIALLY if you've had this set up before! lol
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

As i understand it, the upper plenum, the Crawford version, is designed to do exactly the same thing the spacer does. Only, you can't use your stock strut bar with the Crawford, you can with the MD. So take your pick.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow I really had to double take the date on this thread. I honestly thought it was from at least 2007
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM
ksmin1153

https://my350z.com/forum/7632787-post9.html

this might help out.

the mrev2 does make a difference even in the non rev up as well.

so i stand corrected. even if it was a minimal difference with the mrev2 (as opposed to the gains on a rev up) it still does give gains more than what i always presumed.

but I still dont think it would be worth it to get the mrev2? maybe thats just me,
maybe the 500 could go towards a shockwave tdx v2 instead?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Maybe this pic will help you out a little more, it confirms what i mentioned earlier, remember, this is for our motor, not the revup.

This one is obviously showing the difference when adding an MREV2 if you already have the spacer.

[img]
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 PM
PaqmanBluZ

Thanks for all the replies and help guys. It has really helped in making my decision. I've decided to go with the plenum spacers instead since the Crawford is pretty much obsolete nowadays.

Now my biggest debate is, whether to go with the 5/16" Spacer, or the 1/2" spacer??
I already have an aftermarket strut bar. I also read that it's possible to keep the OEM strut bar on with hood spacers from MD. If I can get a hold of those, I might just swap out the aftermarket strut bar.
Any input? lol
Anyone note differences between the two? other than the obvious cosmetic issue with the strut bar.

Any clearance issues?

Also as I mentioned in my first post, MD has manifold spacers...
Do those benefit too??
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM
PaqmanBluZ

just to clarify, I'm not asking opinions on which one is better, etc. I'm asking what is your experience between the two spacers.
My main question is the plenum spacer and the manifold spacer combo.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM
jes1888

so guys, another guy here ho recently bought a 350z and wanted to modify its virgin intake :P. My debate is worst since im also throwing in the middle the kinetix SSV, right now i have in my garage a kinetix V+ upper plenum, i then began searching info and found out that the motordyne mrev 2 would give more power with the 5/16 spacer (since i have the stock strut bar and dont wanna loose it) and that the V+ upper plenum that i have does the same as the spacer. So i was ready to buy the mrev 2 and then found out about the kinetix SSV velocity, and now im confused on which one would be better for my 06 revup engine, so any opinions on this, i wanted the ssv because i can give my v+ and get a credit for it, but if the mrev and spacer do the same well... i would go with that, also i was thinking about the mrev and the kinetix v+ that i have, since suposedly does the same as the spacer but havent found anyone with that, so please, comments, information, anything would be apreciated, thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

If the V+ is a 5/16th spacer equivalent, then yes, just get the MREV2 to match it.

Though i thought i saw you couldn't keep the stock strut bar with that?

Otherwise, the MREV2 and the MD spacer will do what you need.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM
jes1888

If the V+ is a 5/16th spacer equivalent, then yes, just get the MREV2 to match it.

Though i thought i saw you couldn't keep the stock strut bar with that?

Otherwise, the MREV2 and the MD spacer will do what you need.
according to the info i've gathered so far, all these options i'm planning can retain the oem strut bar, please someone correct me if i'm wrong. So to take it more straight, which one? Kinetix SSV or MREV 2 with 5/16 spacer

Quick Reply: Full Intake System w/ spacers, etc