Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Base v.s. Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 02:01 PM
ZXiMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base v.s. Enthusiast

I picked up a G35 6MT Coupe last month and had to return it to the dealer on the 31st of December (long story, but due to the dealer letting me have the car while waiting for a piece of property to close that I am selling and closing has taken much longer than expected). Overall I liked the G35, but now that I have a chance to purchase again, I think I want the 350Z instead (it's lighter, quicker, cheaper and the styling grows on me every day).

I want to keep the car as light as possible, but my question is what would be the main advantage/disadvantage of the "Enthusiast" model v.s. the "Base" model? How much of an advantage would the Viscous Limited Slip differential make v.s. the Bases non LSD? I know the Base model is a few pounds lighter but I do like the HID head lights, cross drilled pedals, and self dimming rear-view mirror but I could do without the traction control (I'll probably turn it off anyways and *maybe* the rest of the above if there's not a huge advantage of the LSD). Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

On a side note, I just ordered 19" Gunmetal Volk Racing GT-7s (19x8.5 fronts +23 and 19x9.5 rears +24) and Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position 245/35-19 (front) and 275/35-19 (rear) and I still don't have a car to put them on <laughs>. I bought an extra set of the S-03 275/35-19s just in case they will be as tough to get later on (they've been on back order for a very long time). TireRack has them in stock right now at their South Bend, Indiana wharehouse if anyone needs them.....

James
Old 01-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Ronny

ZXiMan, the Z is not a car which most of us will often drive in conditions where LSD will be put to that much use, but doggone it, in the right (wrong) conditions, I'd hate to be without it.

More important in my decision to go Enth was Cruise Control, Homelink, and UV Glass (Ft Worth's not that far south of me and I'll guarantee you'll regret not having it, or you'll wind up having it tinted).

I spent a lot of time making a dollar comparison of these two models and the Touring. Enth just seemed to be the "make sense" choice for me. Resell enters into my thinking also, although it's not that big a deal.

Frankly, you can't make a wrong choice with a Z; just don't leave what you want on the table for a few extra dollars. Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Beamm

I thought you'd want all that stuff you talked about (LSD, HID, Mirror, etc) but got base because I wanted to go cheaper as I'm a grad student and figured I could forgoe those items. I have no regrets (I have no use for homelink right now, have had no problem with the mirror, don't really care about the HID honestly and have never been in a situation where I need the LSD and no need for cruise control, never used it on my last car either). So, go with whatever you want but I have no regrets about the base. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:44 PM
trackstar

I had the saem dilemma, and I chose enthusiast. The HIDs and LSD were key for me. The other optiosn are nice little upgrades too, and the price is still very reasonable.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:32 PM
ml2316

have you enth and base owners had any problems with wet traction? normally i wouldn't hijack a thread but i think this is somewhat relevant to the op's question.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:34 PM
vic grant

i bought the base to keep payments down, ended up with acc leather and mirror, will leave stock, can't afford to lose warranty so i won't mod. will drive over 100k...hey it's the same car for typical driving, most people don't know the difference and it runs as good as any model...don't know about 2005 though.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:47 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get a lot of goodies for the extra 2Gs with the Enthusiast.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:51 PM
ZXiMan

I don't plan on ever driving in the rain or anything worse, weather wise. We have a Mercedes E500 (best poor weather vehicle I've ever driven) and a Dodge Ram Hemi so the 350Z will be in the garage when it rains or snows.

I am leaning torwards the enthusiast Z. I like the performance potential of a lightweight platform like the base and enthusiast models. I have lots of modifications in mind. Now I just need to make my mind up on color. My favorite would be Super Black, blue or the Silverstone. Thanks for your input!

James
Old 01-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Donny_b

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I had the same delima. I went with the Base. If you are going to have cash to deal with that extra couple of grand can buy some nice mods: Wheels, Suspension, Exhaust or what ever you want in that range. I don't miss the Cruise control and if you want the Mirror I think you can buy it here somewhere. Anyway it's a good choice...db
Old 01-05-2004, 07:28 PM
boma

Get enthusiast, in the long run. you'll be glad u did.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Sosa

Default why lightweight if...

You're going to put on those big *** wheels? The wheels will slow the car down to the straight line performance of the G35c, but it just depends on what you want. I'd say enthus (esp since i have one), but if you wanna save 2k and aren't going to need the tcs or cruise or lsd, go base (or HID's).
Old 01-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Phatmitzu

Enthusiast all the way. No doupt. LSD will help you exit the corners. HID will help you view better at night. And other little things will help to bring out the luxury side of the Z.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:36 PM
funkdamonkman

I bought the enthu just for the LSD and cruise control. I didn't really know about the other stuff, or care. You basically have 1/2 the traction without a LSD. Right?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:03 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good aftermarket tires makes a world of difference too
Old 01-05-2004, 09:07 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

If you are on a budget (or are working with a preset amount with desired monthly payments), go Base. Otherwise, go Enthusiast. Either way you can't go wrong. It's a Z.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:20 PM
mrZeee

bump on base...HID would be nice...most other stuff you can upgrade to factory or better specs, at your leisure or when you can afford, without being choked by a higher montlhy payment
Old 01-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Montez

Enthusiast no doubt.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:10 AM
Beamm

I have had no traction problems in my base...and I'm in south FL where it rains all the freakin time. No problems though and love driving it every day. At some point I may put in pedals, HID, and mirror, but that's only maybe...I don't really miss that stuff now. I don't think you need the LSD to handle the car well, just pay attention to what you're doing...I have yet to have any problems. I personally hate letting computers/technology drive for me so I don't want TCS or that other crap.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:26 AM
kzshin

If you are going to mode the car buy base. If you won't mod the car then get Enthu.

if you are going to use bigger rims or stickier tires, then the stock LSD won't function properly, and that's why I bought the base.

There is a aritcle on SPORT COMPACT CAR magazine explain why the stock LSD won't function properly with Sticker tires.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:02 PM
trackstar

Originally posted by kzshin
If you are going to mode the car buy base. If you won't mod the car then get Enthu.

if you are going to use bigger rims or stickier tires, then the stock LSD won't function properly, and that's why I bought the base.

There is a aritcle on SPORT COMPACT CAR magazine explain why the stock LSD won't function properly with Sticker tires.
I think the LSD will work fine with any tires.

And if you not going to mod, get a track or touring. The rest, especially the enthusiast, are perfect for modding.

Quick Reply: Base v.s. Enthusiast