2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Worst Christmas Ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Iezzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Christmas Ever

24-Dec-2003

Christmas eve day at 3:00 in the afternoon I was on my way to a friends house and I was coming out of a very sharp right hand turn (not speeding) when I lost control and swung the rear of my car. I could not counter steer in time to keep my Z on the road and I went into the edge of someone’s yard and over a 1ft tall rock pile. My rear tires are very low on tread and for some reason when I was leaving my house I must have decided to turn off the VDC (bad idea). The roads were wet from rain earlier in the day and this didn't help my situation either. My car is now sitting out side at a body shop in the freezing temps instead of being in my garage where it belongs. The most ironic part of my story is that I had an appointment for new tires to be installed two days after the accident happened. My Nissan dealership is not equipped to install tires on the Z because the low profile tires with reinforced sidewalls require special equipment to mount them.

Any way here is my tip to all Z owners out there:

ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO REPLACE WORN TIRES AS SOON AS POSSIABLE

NEVER TURN OFF YOUR VDC (IF YOU HAVE IT) WHEN YOU’RE DRIVING ON WET ROADS

Luckily in my 9 years of driving I have never had an accident so my insurance rates won't go up (forgiveness for first accident). The damage to my car was the front bumper, radiator, right side skirt, cooling fans, and huge dents in my exhaust piping. I have pictures from the body shop when my car went on the lift for the first time after the accident. I will post them tonight. Our Z is a tough car my engine never shut off and I was able to drive it back on to the road and park it before I called the tow truck. What makes me so mad was that I am always very careful and I can't understand how I forgot that the VDC was off. Like I said this was the worst Christmas ever.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Dissolved

Default Re: Worst Christmas Ever

Originally posted by dkent2
24-Dec-2003

Christmas eve day at 3:00 in the afternoon I was on my way to a friends house and I was coming out of a very sharp right hand turn (not speeding) when I lost control and swung the rear of my car. I could not counter steer in time to keep my Z on the road and I went into the edge of someone’s yard and over a 1ft tall rock pile. My rear tires are very low on tread and for some reason when I was leaving my house I must have decided to turn off the VDC (bad idea). The roads were wet from rain earlier in the day and this didn't help my situation either. My car is now sitting out side at a body shop in the freezing temps instead of being in my garage where it belongs. The most ironic part of my story is that I had an appointment for new tires to be installed two days after the accident happened. My Nissan dealership is not equipped to install tires on the Z because the low profile tires with reinforced sidewalls require special equipment to mount them.

Any way here is my tip to all Z owners out there:

ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO REPLACE WORN TIRES AS SOON AS POSSIABLE

NEVER TURN OFF YOUR VDC (IF YOU HAVE IT) WHEN YOU’RE DRIVING ON WET ROADS

Luckily in my 9 years of driving I have never had an accident so my insurance rates won't go up (forgiveness for first accident). The damage to my car was the front bumper, radiator, right side skirt, cooling fans, and huge dents in my exhaust piping. I have pictures from the body shop when my car went on the lift for the first time after the accident. I will post them tonight. Our Z is a tough car my engine never shut off and I was able to drive it back on to the road and park it before I called the tow truck. What makes me so mad was that I am always very careful and I can't understand how I forgot that the VDC was off. Like I said this was the worst Christmas ever.
UnF***believable. Yet ANOTHER crash thread where someone had VDC off. I'm not picking on you or anything. But it seems like in the majority of the "just wrecked" threads, the invididuals had VDC off

Anyway, sorry to hear that man and I'm glad you're ok. Believe it or not, it could of been much worst. Let us know how it works out at the body shop
-dissolved
Old 01-07-2004, 09:14 AM
wildone_106

At what point should one consider the tires "worn" obviously if they're bald thats way beyond safe but, I dont wanna cut it so close on mine..is there a specific way of checking when its time to change them? Its something that worrys me too..how long do those original Z tires last for anyway? Assuming normal driving and no drag burn outs lol
Old 01-07-2004, 09:32 AM
bixby

Use a penny. Stick it in the tread Abes head first. If the tread doesn't cover the top of his head, your tread is low.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Trust me you can tell when your tires are starting to go in the Z ride...

20,000 mine were slipping all over the place... I also go top speed so traction is a must....

I still have my original tires incase of drag/drift events when they maybe switched out...
Old 01-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

B2TP,

Man i feel for you... everyone makes mistakes... forgive yourself and youll get over it....

Glad your ok...
Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
ezee

Originally posted by wildone_106
At what point should one consider the tires "worn" ...is there a specific way of checking when its time to change them?
The common rule of thumb is to replace tires when the tread depth goes below 2mm to prevent hydroplanning in wet weather. As bixby states, the top of Abe's head on the penny can be used as a guide, it is about 2mm from the top of his head to the edge of the coin.

I found a nice digital tire guage at Auto Zone for $20 which also has a tread depth guage. When my tires were new they had 7mm of tread, now I'm down to 5mm on the front after 11k miles, rears are almost new.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:16 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dkent2, I completely understand your pain. You can check out my situation in the racing section.

As far as tires go, they have wear indicators molded into the tread. If you look on the outside edge of the tire, you will see little triangles spaced intermittently along the edge of the tire were the tread meets the sidewall. If you find one of the triangles, look at the deep treads in line with the triangle. You will see little protrusions in the bottom of the tread. When the tread wears down to these humps it is time to get new tires.

Check out this pic of my stock tires @ 16,000 miles.

-D'oh!
Attached Thumbnails Worst Christmas Ever-dscn0272_small_markup.jpg  
Old 01-07-2004, 10:03 PM
themyst

Originally posted by D'oh
dkent2, I completely understand your pain. You can check out my situation in the racing section.

As far as tires go, they have wear indicators molded into the tread. If you look on the outside edge of the tire, you will see little triangles spaced intermittently along the edge of the tire were the tread meets the sidewall. If you find one of the triangles, look at the deep treads in line with the triangle. You will see little protrusions in the bottom of the tread. When the tread wears down to these humps it is time to get new tires.

Check out this pic of my stock tires @ 16,000 miles.

-D'oh!
whoa, thats one bald tire.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:07 PM
xw34x

Unhappy

speaking of a bad new year...

i crashed my lexus ls400 on NEW YEARS EVE in san francisco on the way to a party.... it's still in the SF city tow yard right now.. was going straight and turned left on a green light NOT A GREEN ARROW and the uncoming traffic who, also had a green light ran right into me.. im so stupid.. i think i'll avoid driving in big cities from now on.. it's dangerous when you're on unfamiliar roads..
Old 01-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Iezzi

Default Re: Re: Worst Christmas Ever

Originally posted by Dissolved
UnF***believable. Yet ANOTHER crash thread where someone had VDC off. I'm not picking on you or anything. But it seems like in the majority of the "just wrecked" threads, the invididuals had VDC off

Anyway, sorry to hear that man and I'm glad you're ok. Believe it or not, it could of been much worst. Let us know how it works out at the body shop
-dissolved
You are 100% correct. I have know idea why I turned the VDC off on wet roads, and when the accident happened it was because the VDC was off and I forgot that I had turned it off. The thing that really pisses me off is that I’m not some moron who can't handle driving RWD cars correctly. This was just a case of human forgetfulness. I didn't have time to post my pictures last night I'll do it tonight. Anyway this is the first time I have ever crashed a car and hopefully it’s the last.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:55 AM
gooters

Glad you were okay and your insurance will still be cool. Maybe you could work in some discounted exhaust with the insurance money as a way to make you feel better? :-D
Old 01-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Dissolved

Default Re: Re: Re: Worst Christmas Ever

Originally posted by dkent2
You are 100% correct. I have know idea why I turned the VDC off on wet roads, and when the accident happened it was because the VDC was off and I forgot that I had turned it off. The thing that really pisses me off is that I’m not some moron who can't handle driving RWD cars correctly. This was just a case of human forgetfulness. I didn't have time to post my pictures last night I'll do it tonight. Anyway this is the first time I have ever crashed a car and hopefully it’s the last.
That is why many people say VDC is a double edged sword. You get used to the convenience of it being there. It does work very well in most conditions. However, if you are really pushing the car it will break loose in wet conditions.

Personally, I dont understand why people turn VDC off on the street in the first place. What's the point? I dont plan on becoming a professional race car driver one day or something. Technology is there, use it.

They say you get in at least one bad wreck in your life. Hope this is your only one. Know how you feel. Unfortunately, this is the only way to learn this lesson. Be glad you arent physically hurt.

Keep us posted
-dissolved
Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Iezzi

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Worst Christmas Ever

Originally posted by Dissolved
That is why many people say VDC is a double edged sword. You get used to the convenience of it being there. It does work very well in most conditions. However, if you are really pushing the car it will break loose in wet conditions.

Personally, I dont understand why people turn VDC off on the street in the first place. What's the point? I dont plan on becoming a professional race car driver one day or something. Technology is there, use it.

They say you get in at least one bad wreck in your life. Hope this is your only one. Know how you feel. Unfortunately, this is the only way to learn this lesson. Be glad you arent physically hurt.

Keep us posted
-dissolved
dissolved,

Again you hit the nail on the head. I have become used to the VDC being on, and on wet roads (with VDC on) it works very well. So well that you can drive on wet roads just like they are dry roads (with in reason) and it will always be there to cut throttle or apply the breaks to the wheel(s) to prevent slides. Like you said you become accustom to it always being there. I really do not remember turning off the VDC, I don't know if it is possible but maybe I some how bumped it with my knee or something, because I really didn't know it was off until after it happened. I’m glad I didn't get hurt and you can bet your a$$ that I WILL ALWAYS know for sure if the VDC is on or off for now on!
Old 01-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Iezzi

Unhappy

Here it is

Old 01-08-2004, 06:54 PM
ceraaa42

I'd be glad I didn't hit the trees!
Chris
Old 01-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ceraaa42
I'd be glad I didn't hit the trees!
Chris
Yea, i was thinking that same thing. Sorry to hear about that. Thank G-d you are ok though.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Iezzi

You know it, I had know idea how close I was to hitting that tree until after I got out and saw my tire ruts in the wet grass.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Soul Hunter

Doesn't look too bad...held up pretty well all things considered.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:30 AM
rouxeny

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure the car will be back soon.

Quick Reply: Worst Christmas Ever