Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

mustang mach 1 or 350z

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Gray8188

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd keep what you have. And start reading up on Griggs racing parts and maximum motorsports. Both companies make top quality parts that will help you get around some turns. And if you keep it another good way to help it around some turns is to find someone with a 03-04 cobra that will swap you there IRS for your straight axle, there's always someone wanting to ditch the IRS for a straight axle so it's better for drag.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Gray8188

Originally Posted by GunslingerG34
It all depends on what you want the car for and how long you plan on driving it.

If you want good handling, absolutely go with a Z. If you are only into straight-line acceleration, then a mustang will probably work better for you. They are fairly even on the highway (besides, having a 160 top end is useless if you can't go over 120 or so on the roads!). But now comes the deal breaker for me: How long do you plan on keeping the car? Are you one of these folks who just "has" to have a different car every few years (you'll be eternally poor if you are!)? Or are you one of those folks (like me) who drives a vehicle until it just isn't reasonable to repair it anymore? If so DEFINITELY get the Z, because I'd be shocked to see a newer mustang make it much past 100K without requiring MAJOR work -- and there is almost zero chance of it ever going beyond 200K. The Nissan, on the other hand, should easily still be running strong at 300,000+ miles unless it is really abused. I sold my '94 pathfinder with 458,000 miles on it to a dude and he still drives it every day to work. I've had multiple Toyotas go over 350,000 on the original drivetrain. I've never seen ANY Ford product do anywhere near that. Most have major transmission issues at around the 75k-100k mark, and the motors are generally shot by 150K, simply due to the poor antiquated design. The newer mustangs are way better than the older ones (which were total pieces of garbage), but they are still detroit-made, 1980's technology cars. But it's all about what you want. Do you want a sportscar, or do you want a pony car (wannabe muscle car)? They are both good vehicles for certain uses, and both have their drawbacks. Me personally -- I wouldn't have a mustang unless someone gave it to me (and I would immediately sell it and buy something I DO like). I just don't care for the look and they are belly-button cars (everybody and their sister drives one of the damned things), but then again, this IS a Z forum so what would one expect?
I think it mostly varies on how the car was taken care of and driven. I had 140,000 with no issues on my mustang, and would have kept it longer if I had a dd. I sprayed the hell out of that car power shifted it everything and never had a serious problem just minor things like any car. There's people on the forums with over 250,000 just have to look for it. Some even spraying them or supercharged still going strong. And a mustang can be made to handle great to look up some of the cars using the gr40 kits or maximum motorsports etc. Yea the Mach one may not handle as well as a 350z stock for stock but a few things and they will hang. I'm not trying to start a pissing match I know this is a z forum just figured I would post my opinion having owned 2 mustangs and a hr z.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM
1LightBrick

Originally Posted by jranaudo
I am thinking of getting a 350z because the mustang handles very bad. I can drive very well but it just gives me no confidence in handling.

I currently have a 04 mach 1 with only 30k miles. I use it only in the summer and on the track. Road courses not drag strips. My mods are suspenion, body braces and sway bars.

So I am asking you passionate 350 owners what your opinion is. Why do YOU like the 350z. What are some characteristics that make it different than the mustang?

Its a hard decision because I was planning to keep the stang till retirement.

Thanks guys.
I'm in Wayne Nj, PM me if you wanna meet up and look the cars over side by side, help you make a decision if you want. Mine is modified but shouldnt make too much difference...
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray8188
I think it mostly varies on how the car was taken care of and driven. I had 140,000 with no issues on my mustang, and would have kept it longer if I had a dd. I sprayed the hell out of that car power shifted it everything and never had a serious problem just minor things like any car. There's people on the forums with over 250,000 just have to look for it. Some even spraying them or supercharged still going strong. And a mustang can be made to handle great to look up some of the cars using the gr40 kits or maximum motorsports etc. Yea the Mach one may not handle as well as a 350z stock for stock but a few things and they will hang. I'm not trying to start a pissing match I know this is a z forum just figured I would post my opinion having owned 2 mustangs and a hr z.
Very true. However, a mustang lasting that long is an anomaly whereas a Nissan lasting that long is absolutely normal and expected. At 150,000 a nissan is just getting broken in good. And sure, you can make a stang handle as well as a STOCK Z, but look at how much you will have to spend to do that. Then consider what a Z can do if the same amount of money is put into performance mods on it --- a mustang would have absolutely no chance except in a straight line (and doubtful then). Another good clue to always look at is what do GOOD mechanics drive. Out of my close circle of friends, 4 of them are auto mechanics and they have well over 100 years of experience between them. Not a single one of them will own ANY Ford car (although you will see the occassional F150 used as a basic work truck -- at least until the transmission goes out, lol). They all primarily drive Nissans, Toyotas, or Hondas -- although one does have a badass '67 Chevelle with a 572 BB in it for his weekend toy! Nothing wrong with a mustang, it all just depends on what you want to do with it and what your realistic expectations are.

And don't worry about "starting a pissing match". I welcome other views and opinions. Each of us views the world a bit differently than everyone else and form our opinions based on those views and experiences. And every once in a while, someone will throw something out there that makes me go "Damn! I never thought of THAT". I'm a stubborn old fart, but my views/opinions CAN be altered if there is enough evidence to reasonably do so. Besides, cars are very individual things, and what seems awesome to one person may seem like a total POS to the next guy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And anyway, comparing mustangs and Z's is an apples vs oranges kind of thing. They were each designed for completely different mindsets and styles of driving.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM
DFPFTW

I just bought a Z today, 2006 with 80k for 11500. Its beyond your expectations! get oneeeee