Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My 04 Roadster was broken into last night...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Studio_city_rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 04 Roadster was broken into last night...

Hi everyone... this is my first post here and unfortunately I have no pics right now... So, last night my 2004 roadster was broken into... as I was walking up to my car this morning I noticed that both windows were completely down and I knew they were up when I left it the night before. Anyways I get to my car and walk around back and notice everything that was in my trunk (spare oil, funnel, sun visor etc...) was on the ground next to my car... what a surreal feeling that was... so I open my trunk and it had been completely gutted... The carpet, the spare tire, the board that covers the spare tire and all plastic and trim pieces were gone! I looked inside my car and the coin holder was gone and my antenna had been unscrewed and taken.. The cell phone charger I had and the sunglasses in my car were still there though as was the stock radio... It looks like they probably jammed something into my driver side door handle keyhole and got the windows down that way because my key will no longer fit into the key hole. Now I can't keep my windows from automatically rolling down when I get out of my car.... Is there a way to bypass this... I'm super pissed that someone messed with my car and I would loved to have caught them in the act... This happened in a residential neighborhood in Studio city with my car literally parked under a street light and a neighborhood watch sign! I baby my car and I can't believe this has happened... But at least there was no physical damage at all just thing and parts that can be replaced ( Nissan wants $139 for that tiny coin holder????) but indeed to figure how to keep the windows from auto roll down because I have no garage to keep my car in and I don't want to leave it anywhere with the windows down... hopefully someone knows how (if?)to bypass this system.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 PM
britalia

Sorry to hear. Check with the neighbors and see if anybody had a surveillance camera pointed in the cars direction. Best of luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Sounds like another Z owner robbed you.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Arvin89

Damn that sucks. This is off the top of my head, don't know if it will work, but my 04 roadster has a window lock button on the driver side door. Right beside the door lock button. If the windows are up and you press it, then the passenger side wont go up or down if you press the window up/down button. I'm not sure if it will stop the auto roll down though. And i don't know if it will work for the driver side window. Also i would check the service manual. Its online and easy to find if you don't have a hard copy.

A question though...

If they jimmied the door lock, why were the windows down? And if anything why the passenger side window as well as the driver side? Why not only the driver side?

Something odd about that.

And a side note, our alarms suck *****. The other week I was diagnosing some engine noises in the garage. Sometimes i leave the driver side window down when i park in the garage. So i reach in through the open driver side window. Pull the lever to pop the hood, go open the hood. Come back. Reach in again and start the car. Diagnose the issue as best i could. Went back to hop in the car to leave and the door wouldn't open... Then i realized i hadn't even turned off the alarm yet..
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Arvin89
A question though...

If they jimmied the door lock, why were the windows down? And if anything why the passenger side window as well as the driver side? Why not only the driver side?
I'm sure you know this but if you put your key in the door lock and turn it for a few seconds, the windows roll down. OP thinks they used a makeshift key to roll his windows down from the outside using that method...if I read it correctly.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM
F34RL355
Banned

are u saying if u jam a screw driver in there and turn it it will not unlock but still roll down the windows!?!?!?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Arvin89

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
I'm sure you know this but if you put your key in the door lock and turn it for a few seconds, the windows roll down. OP thinks they used a makeshift key to roll his windows down from the outside using that method...if I read it correctly.
Originally Posted by F34RL355
are u saying if u jam a screw driver in there and turn it it will not unlock but still roll down the windows!?!?!?
This is my point about the alarm being ****ing useless on the roadster. Dont know about the hardtop.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Studio_city_rob

Thanks for the replies everyone...
1). I checked with neighbors and no cameras and no one saw or heard anything unfortunately
2) advanz33, you took the words out of my mouth... It definitely looks like whoever did this knew about our sorry a$$ alarms and a trick about getting the windows to auto roll down... seems like someone was specifically looking for z parts
3) arvin89--I also thought about the window lock and gave it a shot but unfortunately it didn't stop he auto roll down function
4) advanz33 is right, when you put you key in the lock and turn it and hold for a few seconds the windows auto roll down ... They do the same thing if you press and hold the unlock button on your key remote for about 5 seconds... It seems as if someone simulated this with maybe a screwdriver or another key or something as my key no longer fits correct into the key hole and it is apparent someone was doing something in there... if this is the case it really sucks that the z can be broken into so easily
5) F34RL355--- It kinda looks like if you jam a screwdriver or something similar into the key hole and twist like a key, that the windows will auto roll down and at that point I think someone just reached inside and hit the unlock button then went around to the trunk and just popped it open with the trunk button
6)arvin89--- I think the works are pretty much the same whether roadster or coupe from what I've heard, and yes they seem to be pretty much useless...
I talked to a guy at precision Z in canoga park and I'm taking the Z there tomorrow to see if be can help out with the window situation... most likely from what Nissan says I'll have to buy a new lock cylinder and have it installed and then have my key reprogrammed to the new lock cylinder... roughly $500-$600... The little coin holder thingy in the center console right by the hazard lights button costs $139 from Nissan!!!!!!... I could not believe that one!! Do they sell these aftermarket anywhere?? The antenna I can find a replacement for at the auto parts store or go factory and pay the $69 Nissan quoted me... And the trunk stuff... trunk carpet, spare tire cover(trunk floor) and spare tire are going to run about $700 and that doesn't include the plastic trim pieces in the trunk... My insurance is already high enough and with a $1000 deductible I'm just going to suck up the costs myself and get parts as I'm able to afford them... precision Z said they may be able to locate used parts in good condition so we'll see how that route goes.
I would've loved to have came up on whoever did this as they were in the act... I would probably be in jail right now if I had because I wouldve beat them mercilessly to within an inch of their lives... I worked hard for the money to put down on the Z and always baby the car.. I've only had it 6 months.
Maybe I'll leave the trunk bare... less weight! (Trying to make the best of a bad situation!)
So far I've not had one issue with the car mechanically in fact I just drove it 1560 miles to Omaha nebraska and back 1560 miles just the day before this happened, through cold weather and rain in Omaha, wind and some snow in Colorado and through the heat of Arizona, Nevada and finally back into California... just to have this **** happen.
Sorry for the ultra long post and thanks for the replies everyone...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Rob, if something was jammed into the keyhole and forced/turned it may have left the lock jammed in the full unlock position. This would have it trying to activate the window auto roll down switch all the time. Maybe try using a small implement in the keyhole to jiggle the lock tumbler back towards the normal position this will turn off the window roll-down switch.

Possibly stop by a locksmith shop and have them do this for you.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 AM
bluelineshooter

Check your local craigslist to see if anyone had recently posted about looking for interior parts for a Z in recent weeks. It sounds like someone was just needing very specific parts and (like you) didn't want to pay the $139 for the coin holder. This may help you track down the bass turd.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your Z.

It sounds like the robbers did their homework on the vehicle in order to break-in without smashing a window. Possibly another ZR owner since he took specific parts. Sometimes you can only do so much to prevent theft.

Check the marketplace on here for your missing pieces. Request them through the want to buy thread if you can't find them. GL!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM
IDrm350

If Jennifer's suggestion doesn't work, you could try removing the door panel and disconnecting the sensor that senses when the lock is being held.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Studio_city_rob

Jennifer 2 that's what I was thinking as well... If I can just get it to where the windows don't roll down when I try to lock up I'll be happy.
I was going to stick a small screwdriver in there myself and see what I could do but I don't want to screw things up any more than they already are if that's even possible? I'm not worried about making the drivers side key hole unusable Because I never used it anyways, I just don't want to gouge it up.
Ive checked Craigslist but not noticed anything suspicious YET but will keep checking to see if that changes in the near future.
Yes it definitely appears that someone did their homework and definitely knows these cars well to get into it without smashing/ breaking anything... very clean... at least I'm thankful that there was no physical damage to my car... I'm still super pissed and continually fantasize about how things would've went if I'd have caught them screwing with my car. It REALLY sucks that its so simple to get into a Z... Major oversight on the part of Nissan there, especially with the worthless factory alarm.
I'll get everything back to condition quickly with the exception of the trunk liner, plastics etc... that is going to take a little time but at least it's not something I have to look at every time I get in my car.. honestly that's the part that bothers me the least as I know some guys actually do that to thier Z's on purpose to cut down weight
Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have that backwards, my man. You use the remote to roll the windows down and the key in the lock to roll them up. Unless you can use the key to roll them down too - I've never tried as what would be the point when the remote does it for you? And I have never heard of it in 9+ years of ownership.
OP - I have always felt that if I owned a drop-top, I would just leave it unlocked as anyone with a blade could simply slice the roof open - quiet and quick. But maybe that's just me......
Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM
laurentj23

Hey at leat your top wasnt cut open and left with a great view of the stars at night and free
Interior wash when it rain!

Damn thieves!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by PerfZ
You have that backwards, my man. You use the remote to roll the windows down and the key in the lock to roll them up. Unless you can use the key to roll them down too - I've never tried as what would be the point when the remote does it for you? And I have never heard of it in 9+ years of ownership.
OP - I have always felt that if I owned a drop-top, I would just leave it unlocked as anyone with a blade could simply slice the roof open - quiet and quick. But maybe that's just me......
If I remember correcty, turn left to unlock/roll down and right to lock/roll up.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If I remember correcty, turn left to unlock/roll down and right to lock/roll up.
Just checked mine and you are correct.But - you are aware that you can roll them down with the remote while standing 30 feet from your car, correct? Hence why I never use the key to roll them down.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just checked mine and you are correct.But - you are aware that you can roll them down with the remote while standing 30 feet from your car, correct? Hence why I never use the key to roll them down.
Yeah. I think my remote battery is getting low so by the time I'm close enough to roll down the windows I can already be in the car hence I don't use it often.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Studio_city_rob

I think your pretty much spot on about the convertible and leaving the car unlocked.... but apparently that assumption could be made about any z without an aftermarket alarm installed as the lock/unlock and window mechanisms/ systems are the same from roadster to coupe... the thieves didn't slice my top they apparently knew a trick to get the windows to auto roll down which could be done on a coupe as well... so let this be an example to everyone that owns a Z of either variety... major malfunction at the Nissan HQ when they thought out this system...
again thanks for all the responses guys, I think we in the Z community need to look out for one another! Apparently someone in the Z community was looking out for me but in the wrong way unfortunately...
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM
FWM69

As others have stated, it has to be a fellow Z owner. More than likely a young kid 16-22 or so who bought an 03 with many missing things. Trust me, I'm 18 and I for sure would not want to dish out 130 for a stupid little coin holder. So definitely a young Z owner, probably figured out that jamming something in the key hole and turning it to the left will roll the windows down which in turn unlocks the car. Sorry it had to happen to you man. Keep an eye out for young Z drivers, when you see them, make sure to look at their faces to see if eyes widen or they suddenly make a turn or something, that might be your culprit. But once again, it could've been anyone. My suggestion to you is to install security cameras at your home. I live in a fairly new house, built in 07 and the neighborhood is decent. But, my dad's truck has been broken into. And my Z's window has been busted out as well. Ever since we've put in cameras, we've had no other issues. That's honestly the only way to for sure catch someone. Yes an alarm will do but sometimes by the time you're notified, they're gone. Get the car fixed, install cameras, then get an alarm. Get an alarm that has the motion sensor inside.

Quick Reply: My 04 Roadster was broken into last night...