Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Build Thead

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Collin Lacy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. All these people that scream rice can go "sell [their] Zs" if they're gunna get butt-hurt over somebody modding their car however they like it. I am glad you took off metal grille though, seems like they never look as good on Zs as they can on other cars.

sub'd
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 PM
SamPappas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^thanks guys. I'm young and doing my own thing. I like it and I like the idea of where my car will be in the future. sorry it's not a fully built track car, because it will never see a track.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM
ntwillie1

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

OP, its your car so mod it the way you like. As long as you are having fun, paying for it, and being safe its all good. Everyone has different tastes. I hate when people tell me I'm not rolling on volks. Thats ok, I had volks before and they bent just like other wheels so I didn't see the sense in spending 4k on them again. Plus the car got stolen because of those damn wheels. These days I can afford any part I want for my car but I don't do it because I'd rather have a car with nice wheels that look good to me than a stolen car with baller wheels. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 AM
SamPappas

^^ thank you!!! this is the kind of response a mature adult gives. instead of just bashing me for using replica parts. I could almost understand if I was gonna throw Lamborghini doors on it and put a big wing on it. But no, I'm buying coilovers and wheels, something regarded by most as tasteful mods. no they aren't 2000 coilovers, no my wheels wont be volks or advans, but they still function for the purpose of my vehicle.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by SamPappas
^^ thank you!!! this is the kind of response a mature adult gives. instead of just bashing me for using replica parts. I could almost understand if I was gonna throw Lamborghini doors on it and put a big wing on it. But no, I'm buying coilovers and wheels, something regarded by most as tasteful mods. no they aren't 2000 coilovers, no my wheels wont be volks or advans, but they still function for the purpose of my vehicle.
No one's bashing you for purchasing replica parts.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 AM
SamPappas

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Big plans normally include removing stuff like MB, D2 and anything replica.

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
plastidip and tinted lights FTL. Big plans or ricer/teenage plans?

I need to sell my Z. Kids are giving us a bad rap these days.

Are you sure?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM
SamPappas

I think you should probably go sell your z if you're not ok with teenagers owning them. You can get them in decent running shape for under 10,000 dollars nowadays. However I have a fairly nice shape Z with only 30k miles and wash it weekly and will wax it regularly, and plan on doing farily subtle mods. I am still failing to see how putting it on coilovers and wider wheels with a better offset are ricer plans.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by SamPappas
Are you sure?
Well its not really a build thread as you mention, just a putting a couple parts on my car.

MB wheels, they are OK , your stock 06+ wheels are actually really nice too.

Coilovers, JUNK, save some cash, just buy a set of drop springs.

Stuff from a spray can or stick on parts, leave them alone.

Your exhaust, nothing wrong with the rep, probably a lot better than what you had. It will actually sound pretty good unless you add test pipes or HFC
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Yea it's more a journal you started, and nothing's wrong with that...

The word build includes building something...
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM
SamPappas

^if you read the thread you would see that my car is already on springs.

As for wheels, once again, there is no problem with MB wheels as I am not tracking my car. Hell, there isn't even a problem with XXR's. And D2 true style coilovers are a lot better than what I could have bought that is out there; there is multiple Chinease no name coilovers you can buy brand new for around 500 bucks. And I also supposed you won't be happy when I buy Megan Racing camber and control arms either. And I really don't see how I would have to "save cash" to buy drop springs, they're like 200 bucks. And what stick on parts are on my car? And I do plan on getting resonated test pipes and an X pipe, because after I do I am going to get a tune.

Sorry if you guys looked at my plastidipped wheels and tinted tails and all automatically assumed I have no knowledge at all about cars. I plan on removing the plastidip come spring, as stated I live in the midwest and I will be driving the car in the winter, it will help protect the wheels greatly. And my badges were just kind of for fun, I've already removed it on the rear badges.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Nismo350z#0310

What they're saying is the quality of coilovers and can hinder not just performance but every day drivability. Overall, to put in $900 they just suck. Eibach $200 Sportline springs are pretty good quality and will work well with your stock shocks and give you a pretty nice lowered stance with some spacers. You'd only put $200 into it instead of $900 and their functionality will be better as well.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 11-16-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM
SamPappas

As far as hindering daily drivability nowhere have I seen that about D2 coilovers. Nowhere have I seen that about even the cheap no name coilovers. The biggest gripe is the spring rates aren't the best and can cause oversteer on the track. That is a non issue for me cause the only track my car could see within like 300 miles is a drag strip, which I will NOT be taking my Z too. Worse comes to worse, if my car becomes undrivable because of the coilovers which I doubt, I will sell the D2's and buy some upgraded shocks to pair with my s techs.

Last edited by SamPappas; 11-16-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

D2, Megan , BC, etc etc coilovers are all the same, junk. Drop spring will be better, drop springs with good shocks will be a hell of a lot better.

Megan arms, probably one of the better cheap arms. I ran Megan front arms for over 4 years on my Z. I still recommend them today for people that need them.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 PM
SamPappas

Drop springs will not give as aggressive of a drop as I'm looking for. Plain and simple.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM
SamPappas

Having my fenders professionally rolled this Wednesday, my coilovers should be in the mail by the end of this week. Once they are on I will be measuring and seeing what size spacers I need to buy.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Rokyr

Hi, fellow 19 year old Z owner here:

I bought my Z with Eibach springs (1.2" drop) and I scrape ALL the time. I know the way you drive because I drive that way. You'll hit **** and scrape the exhaust etc, I'm willing to bet the ebay exhaust won't hold up like my stock mid section has held up. (Speed bumps suck) If you're paying for your own parts and tires and maitenence then Id really advise not going so low. I've spent $1500 already this month on two flats, a fan shroud, and a radiator support because my car is so low and I drive like an idiot.

inb4 "I'm drive different than all other teenagers"

You have a sports car, youre a teenager, you drive like an idiot.

P.s.: I dig the tails.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

bro, you're on springs. you're not THAT low. stop exaggerating. im on tanabe gf210s ith the rear springmount mod and i have yet to scrape.

Last edited by Bmurray350z; 11-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Originally Posted by Rokyr
Hi, fellow 19 year old Z owner here:

I bought my Z with Eibach springs (1.2" drop) and I scrape ALL the time. I know the way you drive because I drive that way. You'll hit **** and scrape the exhaust etc, I'm willing to bet the ebay exhaust won't hold up like my stock mid section has held up. (Speed bumps suck) If you're paying for your own parts and tires and maitenence then Id really advise not going so low. I've spent $1500 already this month on two flats, a fan shroud, and a radiator support because my car is so low and I drive like an idiot.

inb4 "I'm drive different than all other teenagers"

You have a sports car, youre a teenager, you drive like an idiot.

P.s.: I dig the tails.
I wouldn't bother giving advice, he didn't listen to the rest of us on anything else.

+1 on the advice though. I've got mine lowered with still some wheel gap and my exhaust scraps even on the slightest of entrances. With that lip he's got, forget about DDing.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Rokyr

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
bro, you're on springs. you're not THAT low. stop exaggerating. im on tanabe gf210s ith the rear springmount mod and i have yet to scrape.
You want pitcures to prove 'bro'?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM
SamPappas

the roads where I'm from are all relatively good. and if you want to mention my ebay exhaust not holding up, I think it will hold up better than the exhaust I had on there that was already falling apart. and if I see something that I know my car isn't capable of, I don't try to do it. but like I said, the roads here are fine. i drove my pretty low rx8 around for about a year and hardly ever scraped. also I haven't seen a speed bump in over a year, idk why they are so uncommon in my area.

Quick Reply: My Build Thead