Need help with a new direction.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with a new direction.

Sigh.....

:drums fingers:

I've debated.....on starting this thread for a while. I realize that I am asking a question that, doesn't have an easy answer. I'm really thinking of going a new direction with my Z. The reason I am asking you fine ladies and gentlemen, is because I know a lot of you have been/are in, the same position as I am.

I've had my car for a long time now. I've been a member of this forum for a long time as well, granted some years I am more active than others.

Ever since the beginning, I have been modding my car toward being a show car. All these years and this winter will probably be the last I need before its ready for the summer shows. Finally. It's been a long time coming.

However,

Now that the end is tangible for me in its current form, I should be happier I think.
The problem is, I have spent all this time and energy into both performance and show mods, that I feel shorted in both categories. I am pretty much topped out with bolt ons at this point without a tune. Short of cams.

I have a carbonetics flywheel and a set of 4.03 gears and bearings sitting in my garage, but I am hesitant to install them. It seems like a big waste in a car that's heavy as hell with a huge sound system.

And thus, begins my delimma.

I have sat and stared at my car in the garage and wondered if this was all worth it, if I should have chosen a more specific direction with my goal and I would have been more satisfied. I think what has happened, is that during all these years my tastes and myself in general has changed to the point to where my goal just isn't as appealing as it used to be. If I took my car in its finished form and transported it back in time and gave it to myself, I would probably be over the moon happy. But now....

If I were to switch directions and goals, it would be performance first. I would want something that would be very minimalistic, but still maintain some semblance of a production car. Sort of like Lotus did with the Elise. No carpet, minimal stereo, etc. Minimalistic, performance oriented, but still maintain some level of civility and aesthetics. I'd like to turn it into something that a serious race shop would do to a 350z for production purposes. Geared toward performance enthusiasts.

If I were to go this route, it would involve:
1: pulling the stereo (permanently deleting it)
2: pulling the plastics from behind the seats, to the rear of the car.
3: pulling the carpet
4: pulling the headliner
5: pulling the A pillars.
6: doing some custom work to make the exposed metal and floor pans aesthetically pleasing.
7: pulling the inner fenders.
8: lighter seats, but not to the point of being insanely uncomfortable.
9: install gears and flywheel.
10: tune

That's just a small example. But you get the point.

So, I am posing a "what would you do" question.

What would you do at this point?

Install the gears and flywheel, button up what all needs buttoned up this winter for the summer shows, participate, and next winter tear it all down and start the new build?

Chuck it all and start now.

I simply am confused about what to do. Will I regret it if I pull the stereo and start this new build? Should I just leave it alone?

I need opinions.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Jamin401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats pretty difficult to decide. my 350 is my summer DD and personally id hate not to have my creature conforts with me. if its not your daily then heck do it! would def be a mean machine! when it comes down to it what ever one makes you happier is what you should choose. good luck with the decision im sure sooner or later ill have to deal with the same question.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Tackett

Well, she's been in my garage and off the road for over a year now. So, I pulled her off the jack stands today, topped off the fluids and took her for a spin.

I forgot how much fun she is.

I lost so much pure driving enjoyment with all this modding, that it felt good to simply....drive.

But I still don't know what I'm gonna do yet.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
red roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a second one to rod to the max.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Tackett

Originally Posted by red roadster
Get a second one to rod to the max.
Nice.

But with my house payment, the Hummer, the Infiniti and trying to pay off the 20kw standby generator I just bought, that's never going to happen.