Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Experience with Import Parts Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM
dholmblad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Import Parts Pro

I just wanted to make the user base on thee forums aware of an experience that I had with Import Parts Pro. The clutch on my 2008 350z was slipping so I decided on a JWT clutch and flywheel combination from Import Parts Pro which I found in the Vendor section. It seemed like a great price and it looked like a number of people had ordered from them.

The price for this combination was $760 shipped for flywheel clutch and some other small parts. It was a good price and was what I was looking for. The shipping was pretty fast and the components were packaged properly.

When I opened the box I examined the parts and noticed that there was some damage on the clutch disk. There were a number of chips or small cracks around the edges. So I contacted Imports Parts Pro and spoke with one of the sales people. They informed me that this would not affect the performance and can still be used. I figured oh well, and I really needed to get this part installed as I already had an appointment with a shop 1.5 hrs away(Hills Garage)

After dropping my vehicle off with the parts at the garage I get a call about an hr later. Apparently the flywheel had been previously installed on another vehicle. They were able to tell this because the finish on the metal was worn off where the bolts tighten down. I told them to install the parts anyways as I had already paid for 4 hrs of labor to drop the transmission and install the parts. And the gas and time it took me to drive up to baltimore from va.

The real issue here is that the parts were not as described. Apparently Import Parts Pro has the parts shipped from another country directly to the end customer, and they are not inspected by their employees. When I am spending x amount of money for x part I expect it to be as described. However I would assume that both the fly and clutch had been previously installed.

When I contacted Imports Parts Pro they offered to refund $37 or have my ship back the old parts and they would replace. Oviouslly I was unable to ship back any old parts as I had to install them on my vehicle, if I had of thought they would cover the labor charges already performed on the car I would have put back my old clutch and flywheel, but I was not confident that they would.

After a number of emails back and forth I ended up giving in and taking $37. I already sold my 350z to replace it with a G37. I would be wary of dealing with this company as they do not handle the parts themselves.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

99% of online retailers have the items dropped shipped directly from the manufacturer - that is exactly why they are able to offer such low prices as compared to brick and mortar stores.

I don't see where IPP did you wrong - they offered to compensate you or if you return the parts they would replace them.

It was your timetable that made this improbable, not a lack on IPP's part.

Sorry but I just dont see any fault with IPP here.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

IPP has been standup with all my dealings.. All you had to do was send it back as they asked. Does suck that it wasn't new tho.. Tough one
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM
mvthree50

IPP has been one of the most solid vendors I've dealt with
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 PM
tw2

Unfortunately this stuff happens. Not their fault. Engine related stuff is labor intensive and when something goes wrong it is always the owner who pays the price.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
dholmblad

Originally Posted by myork
99% of online retailers have the items dropped shipped directly from the manufacturer - that is exactly why they are able to offer such low prices as compared to brick and mortar stores.

I don't see where IPP did you wrong - they offered to compensate you or if you return the parts they would replace them.

It was your timetable that made this improbable, not a lack on IPP's part.

Sorry but I just dont see any fault with IPP here.
How do you not see this as IPPs problem. Their business model allows these types of situations to arise. Now I am not saying their business model is wrong, but when it causes issues like this they should be more willing to rectify the situation. When I order new parts I expect that I will receive new parts.

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
IPP has been standup with all my dealings.. All you had to do was send it back as they asked. Does suck that it wasn't new tho.. Tough one
This would be the ideal situation. However the transmission was already dropped out of my car, and I was ~100 miles away from my home. There isnt really a way the situation could have turned out any different. The business model of IPP put me in this situation and I would have expected them to resolve it.

Last edited by dholmblad; 12-27-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM
tw2

If not them, then someone else. I doubt these sorts of businesses can remain competitive any other way. Its the price we pay for cheap parts. If they used a traditional business model they probably wouldn't exist and someone with terrible customer service could take their place. Remember when a crappy intercooler was $1000?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
muffles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might have been worth asking a garage to look at it when you got it, since you already noticed some cracks etc.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the company to pay to uninstall the parts though.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:22 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by dholmblad
I just wanted to make the user base on thee forums aware of an experience that I had with Import Parts Pro. The clutch on my 2008 350z was slipping so I decided on a JWT clutch and flywheel combination from Import Parts Pro which I found in the Vendor section. It seemed like a great price and it looked like a number of people had ordered from them.

The price for this combination was $760 shipped for flywheel clutch and some other small parts. It was a good price and was what I was looking for. The shipping was pretty fast and the components were packaged properly.

When I opened the box I examined the parts and noticed that there was some damage on the clutch disk. There were a number of chips or small cracks around the edges. So I contacted Imports Parts Pro and spoke with one of the sales people. They informed me that this would not affect the performance and can still be used. I figured oh well, and I really needed to get this part installed as I already had an appointment with a shop 1.5 hrs away(Hills Garage)
Your first mistake right there.

Originally Posted by dholmblad
How do you not see this as IPPs problem. Their business model allows these types of situations to arise. Now I am not saying their business model is wrong, but when it causes issues like this they should be more willing to rectify the situation. When I order new parts I expect that I will receive new parts.

This would be the ideal situation. However the transmission was already dropped out of my car, and I was ~100 miles away from my home. There isnt really a way the situation could have turned out any different. The business model of IPP put me in this situation and I would have expected them to resolve it.
You ordered new parts and you should have received new parts, I would feel the same way in your situation. But it was you who decided to put faulty parts on your car, and take your car to a mechanic appointment, despite knowing that your parts were faulty. Dont go bashing vendors who have been really excellent on this site. Your careless mistake of having a shop start the install without the correct new parts is your own mistake, not IPP's business model. They also offered to send you brand new parts to make up for your damaged ones. You decided to keep your parts, your loss.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by muffles
It might have been worth asking a garage to look at it when you got it, since you already noticed some cracks etc.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the company to pay to uninstall the parts though.
I do when you decide to put the faulty parts on your car anyways, especially when you know you need a new one because your old one is going out.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:31 PM
dholmblad

Originally Posted by stuartc323
You ordered new parts and you should have received new parts, I would feel the same way in your situation. But it was you who decided to put faulty parts on your car, and take your car to a mechanic appointment, despite knowing that your parts were faulty. Dont go bashing vendors who have been really excellent on this site. Your careless mistake of having a shop start the install without the correct new parts is your own mistake, not IPP's business model. They also offered to send you brand new parts to make up for your damaged ones. You decided to keep your parts, your loss.
I didn't know the parts had been installed. I assumed any damage was from shipping. This was the assumption when taken to the mechanic. If i had of known they were installed I would have waited for replacement parts.

And yes it is IPPs business model. If they do not handle the parts themselves
they need to have trust in the manufactures that what they are sending is what was ordered. All the risk cannot be put on the end customer.

Im not really trying to bash on IPP, overall my experience was okay. The parts were sent quickly, and any correspondence was quickly answered. This is more of a warning to those who are purchasing from them to ensure that they receive what they had ordered. I have seen a flywheel 1 time, so how am I suppose to know when one is used?

Last edited by dholmblad; 12-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mvthree50
IPP has been one of the most solid vendors I've dealt with
+1 IPP has done right by me many times over. If they offered to make it right, I don't see what the issue is.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM
dholmblad

Originally Posted by muffles

Not really what I was looking for. I already planned to sell the car after a short time, but $37 is kind of a joke to me.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Well first off it is kinda sad about the flywheel being previously used. However first thing I would've done was had my shop who I had a appointment to inspect it WAY WAY before any labor was involved. SO bad move with IPP and the flywheel dumb you for prematuring
Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I've only heard good things about IPP so this is kind of disappointing. But I think people here are missing the point. OP paid for new parts. I think there's no question about that.

The error and correcting it could/would ultimately cost him $$$ (labor costs) and time. The people that say that that's how this business works...well I just don't you. I have had to pay for 2x-labor to install something because of parts error. Not fun. Was the "error" with the consumer? No.

As far as business model, well all I can say is that if businesses don't make mistakes then they would not have to pay for them. In the OP's case (and best case scenario) he would have had to drive 3 hours total to get his new parts inspected. I guess that's good business.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:15 PM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Your first mistake right there.
Couldn't have said it any better. My jwt flywheel gear ring snapped off & Kyle let me know what the options were as good as he could. He's a great Vendor.

Since you didn't really know what you were doing, then you shouldn't have gone through with any plans on modifying your Z until you were certain of what you were doing.

Last edited by AshMan; 12-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by jv350z
I've only heard good things about IPP so this is kind of disappointing. But I think people here are missing the point. OP paid for new parts. I think there's no question about that.

The error and correcting it could/would ultimately cost him $$$ (labor costs) and time. The people that say that that's how this business works...well I just don't you. I have had to pay for 2x-labor to install something because of parts error. Not fun. Was the "error" with the consumer? YES.

As far as business model, well all I can say is that if businesses don't make mistakes then they would not have to pay for them. In the OP's case (and best case scenario) he would have had to drive 3 hours total to get his new parts inspected. I guess that's good business.
How do you pay twice for parts error, you sound worse than OP. Do you not do any research on the parts your buying to go on your car? Is this not taken seriously enough that it is your car or do you just have full trust in a mechanic? im lost because these stories dont make sense. No way would i even set a mechanics appointment before having my parts in my hand AFTER they have been shipped to my house. I also INSPECT my parts and make sure everything looks like its supposed to. Its common sense to know when parts look wrong, especially if you did enough research on them.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:06 PM
dholmblad

Originally Posted by AshMan
Since you didn't really know what you were doing, then you shouldn't have gone through with any plans on modifying your Z until you were certain of what you were doing.
Installing a clutch and flywheel is not modification. I should not have to be a car expert when ordering, you should receive what is ordered. And I did do pretty extensive research before pulling the trigger, unfortunately it didn't include comparison of a used flywheel and new flywheel.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM
dholmblad

How do you pay twice for parts error, you sound worse than OP. Do you not do any research on the parts your buying to go on your car? Is this not taken seriously enough that it is your car or do you just have full trust in a mechanic? im lost because these stories dont make sense. No way would i even set a mechanics appointment before having my parts in my hand AFTER they have been shipped to my house. I also INSPECT my parts and make sure everything looks like its supposed to. Its common sense to know when parts look wrong, especially if you did enough research on them.

You are really missing the point. Reread the post you quoted. I did inspect the parts, but I'm not a mechanic so I didn't pick up on the wear on the bolts.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
stuartc323

The problem is though, you saw there was a problem off the bat when you opened the box and looked at the flywheel. You knew it was something wrong enough to call the vendor and ask if it was ok. Im sorry if i have to go through all that and they say "oh the damage wont affect performance" my response would have been "ok and you guys wont mind just shipping me a new one than", not "oh well i really need this part installed." If you really needed it installed that should have gave you more reason to get a new one. im sorry but i fail to see the point of your thread other than bashing the vendor for your mistake.

Quick Reply: Experience with Import Parts Pro