Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Impressions of the Detroit Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Stilyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions of the Detroit Auto Show

Got back yesterday from a 1 one day trip to Detroit from Toronto to see the international auto show. I have to say (and not because I'm a proud owner of) that the 350z was thee best car there on display for the money. Nissan really nailed down the design on this car. Large crowds were gathered around it, and that says a lot for a car thats been on the market now for almost a year and a half now.

Other impressions:

The Mazda RX-8 was a huge disappointment. It is fugly. I sat in it for the first time and the interior is ridiculous. Couldn't understand that whole circular design around the radio console. The only word I can could think of was CHEAP! The back seats (if you can call them that) are really only there to seat small children. Access to the back through the door was extremely difficult.

The Carrera GT is a piece of art! My Goodness!

GM is starting to get it together. The Solstice when it comes out next year is going to be one hot car. The GTO on the other hand is a glorified Lumina. Extremely bland and drab. I wonder what owners of the old muscle car are saying. GM did have one of the best prototypes there - the Chevy Nomad. Very hot!

The Ford Mustang looks far better in person then in pictures. Although I along with everyone else wish that they followed true with the prototype design when bringing this to market, it is still a car that will likely be a daily driver of mine when I can't drive the Z either because of rain or snow. They got it right.

If I had the money, it would go to the Audi A-8. If I had money to burn, the Aston Martin Vantage would be the choice to burn it in.

What's with the different colour pillar around the front window of the Chrysler Crossfire? Dumb.

There was a Volkswagon concept car there that was stealing the curves from the Z galore. That should be illegal!

The new BMW 6 coupe is sweeeeeet!

There was no ENZO there on display.

The Volvo sedan wins hands down for the most comfortable leather seats.

The new Corvette - better design, but I still wouldn't want one.

That's pretty much it. Go check out the show......

Kudos to Nissan for such a glorious car!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:07 AM
nokidz

Went to the LA Auto Show last weekend. I agree with your observations. If I did not own one already, I would go out and buy a Z tomorrow. Hands down it is the best designed, least gimmicy sports car that anybody is offering. I am interested in your impressions of the VW Concept R. That is the whole reason I want to the LA shown only to find out it was in Detriot.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:47 PM
eddytsi

a lot of people gathered around the z roadster when i was there.

the new titan looks awesome on the outside!

that pontiac coupe (forgot the name of it) solstice? looked sweet, for $20,000.

BMW 6 series looks sweeter.

shelby cobra and new mustang actually looks sharp.

no enzo, oh well.

darn, i missed looking at the crossfire, oh well.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:57 PM
DeZigner

Question

The Pontiac Solstice does look interesting. It looks quite small. Could you get any sense as to what size person could fit into it?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:56 PM
NISMO_GUY2003

Default Re: Impressions of the Detroit Auto Show

Originally posted by Stilyle
I have to say (and not because I'm a proud owner of) that the 350z was thee best car there on display for the money. Nissan really nailed down the design on this car. Large crowds were gathered around it, and that says a lot for a car thats been on the market now for almost a year and a half now.
I've owned my Z for only about a month now and I get people staring at it everytime I go to the gas station or store. I've had people ask what kind of car is that?

Had it parked all by itself in this empty part of the parking lot while I visited a friend. We were looking out the window at my Z when a car pulled in and drove around my Z a couple of times. At first I was worried because I thought it might be some car thieves-- but it ended up being some people who were just admiring the Z's good looks!

What a car!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:01 PM
cwerdna

Default Re: Impressions of the Detroit Auto Show

Originally posted by Stilyle

The Mazda RX-8 was a huge disappointment. It is fugly. I sat in it for the first time and the interior is ridiculous. Couldn't understand that whole circular design around the radio console. The only word I can could think of was CHEAP! The back seats (if you can call them that) are really only there to seat small children.
Really? Even before I ever read any magazines reviews of the 8, after sitting in them at a dealer and my friend's, I feel the 8's interior is of FAR better quality than the Zs. Virtually every comparo I've seen that includes the Z and 8 agrees w/me on that point. As for exterior styling, I feel the 8 is ok other than the funky suicide doors, which to me almost ruins it. If they got rid them (making it an rx-7?), it'd look better.

As for back seats, they were ok, but I don't recall the room vs. the G35 coupe (which has so little headroom, I know that people my height: 5'8" would hit their head on the window over big bumps).
Old 01-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Wedge

When the Shelby is re-released, it is supposed to have a V10 engine with 650HP.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:10 PM
archman350z

I went to the auto show this Saturday...yup, both Zs drew quite a bit of attention. I just have to ask: what is up with the $1100 charge for the new paint code (liquid aluminum)????

Had to sit in the Z to get my "fix" since the baby is in storage...spring just seems so far away!

...I'm still waiting to see a Z roadster with the top up.

Loved the Titan and the new Frontier, didn't care for the Armada or it's Infinity sibling.

I was shocked to find that I liked the new Cavalier (Cobalt)...it now seems less "Cavalier-ish" than the new GTO. Hmmm, even if it is an Opel...
Old 01-19-2004, 10:09 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Impressions of the Detroit Auto Show

Originally posted by NISMO_GUY2003
I've owned my Z for only about a month now and I get people staring at it everytime I go to the gas station or store. I've had people ask what kind of car is that?

Had it parked all by itself in this empty part of the parking lot while I visited a friend. We were looking out the window at my Z when a car pulled in and drove around my Z a couple of times. At first I was worried because I thought it might be some car thieves-- but it ended up being some people who were just admiring the Z's good looks!

What a car!
Ditto! I've had my Z for about two weeks now and I had people following me for blocks just to mouth the words "Nice car!" The Z's been out for about a year now but the surprised reactions don't cease. Judging from some people's faces, sometimes I feel as if they released this car last week!

Damn it, I have to scurry off to my garage now to see if she's still there.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:15 PM
35oZephyR

Another thing: I went to a GM car show where they let you test drive their cars on a little track
They had:H2's, Vettes, Caddies, and comparison vehicles such as BMW 3 and 5 series.

When I got out to the parking lot to my Z some folks were like "wow they should have had this car in the show!! It's so nice it looks like a 60k dollar car!"

I wish they had Z's... would have been fun to tear up someone else's Z up on that little track.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:33 PM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Default C6 Corvette

How does the new Corvette look in person? It seems awesome in pics.

Damn, I can't wait for the Chicago auto show!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:40 PM
EnglishSteve

Default Re: Re: Impressions of the Detroit Auto Show

Originally posted by NISMO_GUY2003

What a car!
That just reminded me of something that happened to me last week. I was coming out of the local mall and as I was walking across the parking lot, I noticed the two mall security guys do two laps around my Z in their golf cart, checking it out.

Steve in AZ
Old 01-19-2004, 11:59 PM
CAR2

That happens a lot to me. The other day I went to a client and the person next door ownes a Boxster. Well he was all over it like a rash. Under the back looking in the windows etc. When he got to the front I waited until he was looking at the grill and hit the alarm button!! You never saw a Porshe owner jump so far!!

He could'ne see me so he thought it was the "proximity alarm" LOL
Old 01-20-2004, 04:50 PM
35oZephyR

Originally posted by CAR2
That happens a lot to me. The other day I went to a client and the person next door ownes a Boxster. Well he was all over it like a rash. Under the back looking in the windows etc. When he got to the front I waited until he was looking at the grill and hit the alarm button!! You never saw a Porshe owner jump so far!!

He could'ne see me so he thought it was the "proximity alarm" LOL
I do this when I see people opening up their car door beside the Z. It's a caution thing but very entertaining to see their faces.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 PM
eddytsi

i do that too!!

anyways, i think these concept cars are gonna be more wild and more edgy than ever before.

anyone go downstairs to see shaq's escalade? THAT's CRAZY!