Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New member, with questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM
j3tt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Th wondow motor is an easy fix for anyone who is at least a little mechanically inclined. There's a great thread by binder on here that shoes pics and a step by step on how to. Plus it's like a $10 fix. I did it about 7 months ago and the window motor is still going strong
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sell me the wheels you have on it now
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Just leave the wheels on , they look better than OEM. Seatbelts may have been fired in an accident, if they have been the dealer will send you packing or want big $$$$. If they were part of a glitch they will be replaced for free. If you have to pay for belts i have a set of 03 belts for $175 shipped. Simple to install.

Window motors, get one from autozone, lifetime warrenty. I have replaced my pass side twice and drivers side once. Your motor may be good, just pull it apart, really not that hard.

Ebrake, just sucks on this car. Really sucks, no matter how it is adjusted. YOu really can't limp wrist the handle, it must be pulled hard when you actually NEED it.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
teh_pledge

Thanks for the help guys. I will be checking out the window motor tomorrow as well as going to the Nissan dealership to see about the seatbelts. If it's been in an accident and I have to replace them myself that's fine as well because I've seen some for sale and they aren't too much money. I'm trying to fix all the problems with it before I start modding it. The ebrake seems simple enough so I will also fix that tomorrow.

Anyone else have any comments about the gauge cluster? I don't really want to purchase another one if it's an easy fix.

And I'm not going to sell the wheels unless it's someone local and offers me stock wheels plus cash. But the more I look at my car with them the more I like them. And I did a quick photoshop on how it would look on those wheels if it was lowered and I must say, I'm pretty impressed.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
teh_pledge

So I just pulled a Carfax on my car and it says that it's been in an accident in which the airbags deployed. Should I not even bother going to the dealership for the seatbelts?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:35 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Either way, you need new seatbelt retractors. Many salvage yards won't sell these parts because of liability issues, so you may be in for a big expense. I'd also check to see if the airbag system itself has been repaired and is operating properly. Does the dash light come on when you first turn the key? If someone pulled the bulb that might also hint at why the speedo is broken.

It may be unlawful to sell a car with these issues, if they weren't disclosed before the sale, so I'd definitely check into that situation.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM
teh_pledge

Originally Posted by dcains
Either way, you need new seatbelt retractors. Many salvage yards won't sell these parts because of liability issues, so you may be in for a big expense. I'd also check to see if the airbag system itself has been repaired and is operating properly. Does the dash light come on when you first turn the key? If someone pulled the bulb that might also hint at why the speedo is broken.

It may be unlawful to sell a car with these issues, if they weren't disclosed before the sale, so I'd definitely check into that situation.
I just checked and the airbag light doesn't come on AT ALL. And the seller didn't tell me anything about that when I purchased the car.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Just leave the wheels on , they look better than OEM. Seatbelts may have been fired in an accident, if they have been the dealer will send you packing or want big $$$$. If they were part of a glitch they will be replaced for free. If you have to pay for belts i have a set of 03 belts for $175 shipped. Simple to install.

Window motors, get one from autozone, lifetime warrenty. I have replaced my pass side twice and drivers side once. Your motor may be good, just pull it apart, really not that hard.

Ebrake, just sucks on this car. Really sucks, no matter how it is adjusted. YOu really can't limp wrist the handle, it must be pulled hard when you actually NEED it.
on the ebrake... You might want to grab the deal on the set of belts mentioned above. Sounds like a deal.
AND - Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your Z.

Last edited by WSchli1672; 02-18-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on keeping the wheels

just needs more low
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
teh_pledge

Originally Posted by RomeZ
+1 on keeping the wheels

just needs more low
Definitely needs more low and wider tires if I keep the wheels.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 AM
stuartc323

Did you buy this car from a dealer or from a private party? you would have a better chance if it was a dealer who sold you the car without repairing the safety devices, idk so much about a private party i would still have it checked out though
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by teh_pledge
I just checked and the airbag light doesn't come on AT ALL. And the seller didn't tell me anything about that when I purchased the car.
Which probably means the airbags do not work, period. Not good and someone is liable. CarfFax after the purchase? Wrong order......... As far as the squeaky clutch, it sound like you mean clutch pedal and not the clutch itself so ignore the advice to replace the clutch. Not that it matters but new leather seats meaning it has been in a crash? That's a new one and without merit - many folks have replaced seats, particularly to upgrade to leather. E-Brake and pads? The e-brake works off of pads inside the rear rotors, as in drum brakes and unless someone has been using the e-brake to drift, they don't wear out as they are not exposed to friction under power. Adjustment IS at the handle though.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

So I just pulled a Carfax on my car and it says that it's been in an accident in which the airbags deployed. Should I not even bother going to the dealership for the seatbelts?
You are checking the CarFax after buying the car? That's like wiping before you take a $hit.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
You are checking the CarFax after buying the car? That's like wiping before you take a $hit.
Hahahahaa
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
teh_pledge

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Did you buy this car from a dealer or from a private party? you would have a better chance if it was a dealer who sold you the car without repairing the safety devices, idk so much about a private party i would still have it checked out though
It was from a private party.

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Which probably means the airbags do not work, period. Not good and someone is liable. CarfFax after the purchase? Wrong order......... As far as the squeaky clutch, it sound like you mean clutch pedal and not the clutch itself so ignore the advice to replace the clutch. Not that it matters but new leather seats meaning it has been in a crash? That's a new one and without merit - many folks have replaced seats, particularly to upgrade to leather. E-Brake and pads? The e-brake works off of pads inside the rear rotors, as in drum brakes and unless someone has been using the e-brake to drift, they don't wear out as they are not exposed to friction under power. Adjustment IS at the handle though.
Yeah I know it was a mistake but the owner told me it had a clean title with no accidents so I took his word for it. Yeah I figured since I have receipts for it being replaced not too long ago. What do you mean new leather seats? I already fixed the e-brake today, thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

No idea how they made it so the light doesn't come on, maybea fuse or relay. I ended up putting a piece of tape over the light.

Let me know when you want the seatbelts. They have never been in a crash, removed for track prep.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah I know it was a mistake but the owner told me it had a clean title with no accidents so I took his word for it.
At least you'll know not to do that next time you buy a car.

I never trust anyone when I'm buying a car, there are too many dicks in this world.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of whether the car was in an accident or not, the car looks clean. Of course, when you buy a used car, your going to spend money replacing parts so i wouldn't worry about it much. Just fix her up and enjoy her
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 PM
teh_pledge

Originally Posted by terrasmak
No idea how they made it so the light doesn't come on, maybea fuse or relay. I ended up putting a piece of tape over the light.

Let me know when you want the seatbelts. They have never been in a crash, removed for track prep.
PM me about the seatbelts.

Originally Posted by Syner
At least you'll know not to do that next time you buy a car.

I never trust anyone when I'm buying a car, there are too many dicks in this world.
Yeah I definitely learned my lesson!

Originally Posted by RomeZ
Regardless of whether the car was in an accident or not, the car looks clean. Of course, when you buy a used car, your going to spend money replacing parts so i wouldn't worry about it much. Just fix her up and enjoy her
Thank you! I'm doing my best, already fixed a few things.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Cjw4050

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I don't understand why you'd want the oem wheels back on.

Quick Reply: New member, with questions