Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC and TCS. Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Mr_Q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC and TCS. Differences?

Okay if you have VDC do they offer TCS as well? It wouldn't seem like you would need it.

I mean VDC is essentially an all encompassing intervention isn't it?

Or is VDC and TCS two systems?

I have VDC but was wondering if TCS would have been yet another option. It seems like TCS is the money saver version of traction control and VDC is the full control system?

Thanks for clearing my confused self up. People ask these questions a lot when they ask me about my car.

UPDATE:

Okay TCS is only available on the auto cars, not manuals. So VDC is the full intervention system. For the autos, TCS just prevents wheel slip. Whereas VDC prevents wheel slip and does other things like apply brakes, etc.

Last edited by Mr_Q; 01-19-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:13 PM
archman350z

You might wanna try the search tool...I know this topic has been discussed before. But here's the short answer:

TCS and VDC, even though they are "kissing cousins," are regarded as separate systems. TCS is obviously designed to keep the tires from spinning during acceleration. VDC, however, is used primarily to keep the car, itself, from spinning. Both systems make use of the ABS brakes, electronic throttle, or electronic ignition to do their job, but the function is quite different. Without getting into gory detail, VDC fires the brakes on the side of the car that will counter-act the impending spin (likewise, such a system could be used to correct the tendency of a car to not want to spin - a.k.a understeer).

There seems to be a lot of fear/voodoo associated with these new stability systems, but I can tell you one thing for fact: they work. The VDC computer can make corrections to the attitude of the car that no human being is capable of!

BTW: TCS is indeed on the manual transmission cars. I believe the Nissan literature says VDC/TCS right on it. However, you cannot disable VDC without disabling TCS because the two systems are linked by a single button.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Mr_Q

Okay so VDC lets you spin the tires still? But keep's you from spinning off the road.

That would be ideal actually...I hate when throttle intervention kicks in when I don't want it.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:45 PM
archman350z

Technically, yes. But in the Z, TCS is enabled whenever VDC is...so if you want to lay a patch you'll have to hit the 'VDC Off Button' and turn them both off.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
andyisphat2004

yeah i always turn vdc off, unless it is sandy or icy or something.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
tbcz

You will not be able to spin the wheels for any length of time with VDC engaged...because it is partnered with traction control, and they are either both on or both off...you can't disable one or the other independently. Best bet...unless you are an experienced driver in very controlled or predictable situations, including the drag strip, leave it on. Yes, it may bog the car down if you floor it from a standing start, but it will also save your *** if you start to spin in a turn.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:28 AM
zpylot

After reading some of the responses here I have another question.

I have a ZR manual and the button says TCS. If I have TCS do I also have VDC? If someone have VDC do they also have TCS?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:56 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have VDC, yes you have TCS. The reverse is not true. If your button says TCS, you do NOT have VDC.