Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Love-hate Z problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ @HanoverZ, You are correct when you say: [“When I'm done with my TT build the first thing I'm doing is putting in some quality sound-deadening material... I haven't looked yet but I've been told by a couple of people that Nissan really skimped out with it, especially in the area under where the factory sub and glove box are.”]

There is no attempt at sound deadening in the 350z. In fact the 350z is probably the car with the most-noisy interior. In Nissan’s defense, I would mention that the 350z is a performance car whose owners are more interested in acceleration and handling than comfort and sound-proofing.

--Spike
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much sound deadening material is used in the G35 coupe? Would it be possible to salvage it any of it from a wreck to install in a Z?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Spike100

I don’t know if it would be worth the effort. The materials are closely adapted. And, the interior panels (the door panesl for example) in the G35 are designed to absorb sound.

The G35 coupe has less noise in the interior for several reasons. One is simply that the rear wheels are not inside the car’s interior as is the case with the Z. --Spike
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
iridelow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ @HanoverZ, You are correct when you say: [“When I'm done with my TT build the first thing I'm doing is putting in some quality sound-deadening material... I haven't looked yet but I've been told by a couple of people that Nissan really skimped out with it, especially in the area under where the factory sub and glove box are.”]

There is no attempt at sound deadening in the 350z. In fact the 350z is probably the car with the most-noisy interior. In Nissan’s defense, I would mention that the 350z is a performance car whose owners are more interested in acceleration and handling than comfort and sound-proofing.

--Spike
Nissan can not say the 350z is a pure performance car. yes it handles well, yes it is fast for what it is...But performance, come on. I know I am from the vette world and the vettes do cost more. But any 97 and up corvette out performes the 350z in every way. I had a 98 vette years ago that would smoke the z from any speed, and stop and out handle it as well. As for the C6 vette, the 350Z can not touch them in performance. But why can GM make the vette with so much less interior noise and still out perform the Z in every way? Don't get me wrong, I like the Z I just bought and it does handle great, but very under powered and the interior noise is bad! Hopefully it will prove to be more reliable than the vette and cost less to own. Maybe i made a mistake going with the Z for about the same price of a C5 vette, but I will try and improve the noise problem and enjoy the Z for what it is. it is a very sharp looking car and the interrior is much nicer than any vette including the C6 vette.

Last edited by iridelow; 03-19-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Spike100

@iridelow , So why are you not driving a Corvette instead of a Z?

Some of the things you mention do not make sense to me, so please excuse my rebuttal. Corvette is designed for a buyer’s market that wants more luxury, while Nissan chases a market that is young and wants performance and customization options.

--Spike

Originally Posted by iridelow
Nissan can not say the 350z is a pure performance car. yes it handles well, yes it is fast for what it is...But performance, come on. I know I am from the vette world and the vettes do cost more. But any 97 and up corvette out performes the 350z in every way. I had a 98 vette years ago that would smoke the z from any speed, and stop and out handle it as well. As for the C6 vette, the 350Z can not touch them in performance. But why can GM make the vette with so much less interior noise and still out perform the Z in every way? Don't get me wrong, I like the Z I just bought and it does handle great, but very under powered and the interior noise is bad! Hopefully it will prove to be more reliable than the vette and cost less to own. Maybe i made a mistake going with the Z for about the same price of a C5 vette, but I will try and improve the noise problem and enjoy the Z for what it is. it is a very sharp looking car and the interrior is much nicer than any vette including the C6 vette.

Last edited by Spike100; 03-20-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

A layer of Dynamat Extreme over everything, (2 layers over the wheel wells), a new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires and a 4-wheel alignment, and the car is SOOOOOOO much quieter than it was when it was new. All up, it's around 20 pounds of added weight. Not a bad trade-off as far as I'm concerned. It's nice to be able to carry on a quiet conversation in the car with the radio off.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Ohhhhh... okay. I get it. You're not actually here for help. You're a newbie douchebag troll. I should have kept reading. You may carry on, iridelow.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM
kingdom

either my 05 350 doesn't have that problem, or you guys have very sensitive hearing.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HanoverZ
When I'm done with my TT build the first thing I'm doing is putting in some quality sound-deadening material... I haven't looked yet but I've been told by a couple of people that Nissan really skimped out with it, especially in the area under where the factory sub and glove box are. I have an '04 Z and just got a '13 SHO... needless to say I'm not going back to the Z without some improvements first haha.
Sound deadening = extra weight. It's a sports car/coupe. Personally I'd rather have less weight in the car. Good tyres make a huge difference.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM
iridelow

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Ohhhhh... okay. I get it. You're not actually here for help. You're a newbie douchebag troll. I should have kept reading. You may carry on, iridelow.
Not a troll, not a punk! almost 50 years old and love sports cars! Yes I have had BMW's, vettes, mustangs and many others. Had an 06 BMW Z4m that was awesome, and the last 2 vettes i had were C6 vettes, one z06 and one vert. The reason I am here is because I retired, on a budget and decided to spend less money on my toys, which have always been sports cars. I still love a nice two seater, manual tranny sports car, so I bought a 350z because it looks great and performs well for the cost. I am here to learn about the car. My only complaint is the noise from inside the car. I don't mind some noise that all sport cars have, but I think Nissan failed in this catigory, or at least maybe Z owners have found a way to improve this problem. That's why I am here! If you have a solution, fine. If not...well You get my drift!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Spike100

@ iridelow, Thanks for the detailed reply and your history. That certainly answers the question I proposed to you about you buying another Corvette. I understand now.

I definitely agree with your comment about the Z’s interior noise. It’s awful. And, so is the OEM Clarion installation and the Bose “upgrade.” People buy this car with the intention of upgrading.

I think that the Z is marketed mainly to buyers who want a two-seat sport-car, but who are on a limited budget. Also, notice the huge aftermarket inventory for a car with very limited sales. That should tell you something. Z buyers consider the car a palette that they intend enhancing.

--Spike

Not a troll, not a punk! almost 50 years old and love sports cars! Yes I have had BMW's, vettes, mustangs and many others. Had an 06 BMW Z4m that was awesome, and the last 2 vettes i had were C6 vettes, one z06 and one vert. The reason I am here is because I retired, on a budget and decided to spend less money on my toys, which have always been sports cars. I still love a nice two seater, manual tranny sports car, so I bought a 350z because it looks great and performs well for the cost. I am here to learn about the car. My only complaint is the noise from inside the car. I don't mind some noise that all sport cars have, but I think Nissan failed in this catigory, or at least maybe Z owners have found a way to improve this problem. That's why I am here! If you have a solution, fine. If not...well You get my drift!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
zswickliffe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but a good track day wears down any feathering that may occur. Or just find a twisty road instead of always driving in straight lines and it seems to help.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Spike100

^^ Good point… Notice how the Indy drivers “wear in” their tires before starting the race. --Spike
Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 AM
iridelow

@ iridelow, Thanks for the detailed reply and your history. That certainly answers the question I proposed to you about you buying another Corvette. I understand now.

I definitely agree with your comment about the Z’s interior noise. It’s awful. And, so is the OEM Clarion installation and the Bose “upgrade.” People buy this car with the intention of upgrading.

I think that the Z is marketed mainly to buyers who want a two-seat sport-car, but who are on a limited budget. Also, notice the huge aftermarket inventory for a car with very limited sales. That should tell you something. Z buyers consider the car a palette that they intend enhancing.

--Spike
Thanks Spike100, I'm glad you understand. I am not about bashing any car, everyone has their own views. I thought about several sports cars before buying the Z, and for the money I spent, the Z is the best looking and driving sports car in my opinion. I came on here to learn about the cars ups and downs, just like I did with vettes and BMWs over the years. I know not to take my car to a dealership unless I have to, and if I do, I don't want to be "blind", I would like to know everything i can first!.. Also, I am a "self fixer", If I can fix it myself, I will. My drivers seat has a lot of wear in the leather, so my next project will be removing the seats and putting on new leather skins. I saw a set of leatherlike, two tone seat skins on ebay for about $220 bucks, anyone have input on them. I don't mind the 5 hour job, if it can be done myself. I did this on my past vettes with good results, of course it was $$$$ money on them...

Last edited by iridelow; 03-21-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Spike100

@iridelow, replacing the seat covers is common for 350z owners. For some reason the side bolster on the driver’s side wears quickly with OEM cloth seats.

A good source for leather seat cover replacements is www.leatherseats.com.

Check this thread : https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-delivery.html

--Spike
Thanks Spike100, I'm glad you understand. I am not about bashing any car, everyone has their own views. I thought about several sports cars before buying the Z, and for the money I spent, the Z is the best looking and driving sports car in my opinion. I came on here to learn about the cars ups and downs, just like I did with vettes and BMWs over the years. I know not to take my car to a dealership unless I have to, and if I do, I don't want to be "blind", I would like to know everything i can first!.. Also, I am a "self fixer", If I can fix it myself, I will. My drivers seat has a lot of wear in the leather, so my next project will be removing the seats and putting on new leather skins. I saw a set of leatherlike, two tone seat skins on ebay for about $220 bucks, anyone have input on them. I don't mind the 5 hour job, if it can be done myself. I did this on my past vettes with good results, of course it was $$$$ money on them...
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM
steed77

Figure I would chime in again... After all 4 tires (Conti DWS) and a few other things.... this Z is just about as quiet as a civic.

It's amazing how quiet it can be.. anyway..

To the OP: I fully agree with you about the price-point and power with the Z. That said the C5's are now in Z price range.

I also find the more I drive this, the more rewarding the Z is. Hang in there... it's true skin show itself. Its nice

The seat covers that Spike100 is referring to is very nice. Been watching them for a while. Defiantly quality.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Spike100

@steed77, I agree with your comments, but I would add some refinement. I’m running Continental Extreme Contact DWS (245/40-18” F and 245/45-18” R). They are quiet and comfortable, but they don’t come close to summer performance tire standards. The Conti’s DWS’s sidewalls feel weak, the tire slips on hard acceleration and hard cornering, and it never feels secure with “spirited driving.” Hard braking with The Conti’s DWS is acceptable, but never exceptional. I like the tire for it's comfort, but dislike it for it's lack of performance. I guess that it is like everything else in life with its trade-offs.

@iridelow is accustomed to a Corvette with maximum performance tires. He definitely will not be satisfied with a flimsy side-walled tire that won’t provide good feedback in a hard corner maneuver.

--Spike

Originally Posted by steed77
Figure I would chime in again... After all 4 tires (Conti DWS) and a few other things.... this Z is just about as quiet as a civic.

It's amazing how quiet it can be.. anyway..

To the OP: I fully agree with you about the price-point and power with the Z. That said the C5's are now in Z price range.

I also find the more I drive this, the more rewarding the Z is. Hang in there... it's true skin show itself. Its nice

The seat covers that Spike100 is referring to is very nice. Been watching them for a while. Defiantly quality.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM
steed77

@steed77, I agree with your comments, but I would add some refinement. I’m running Continental Extreme Contact DWS (245/40-18” F and 245/45-18” R). They are quiet and comfortable, but they don’t come close to summer performance tire standards. The Conti’s DWS’s sidewalls feel weak, the tire slips on hard acceleration and hard cornering, and it never feels secure with “spirited driving.” Hard braking with The Conti’s DWS is acceptable, but never exceptional. I like the tire for it's comfort, but dislike it for it's lack of performance. I guess that it is like everything else in life with its trade-offs.

--Spike
We seem to agree again...My last "fun" car was AWD 550hp running Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires. Fully undersand the sidewall flex, summer rubber. May years on and off track here. The DWS's do seem to have slower turn-in but do hold ok. There is no perfect "all season" tire but this one is one of the best I have used.

The DWS's I'm running are in 19" and staggered. So there is little side flex. The trade off for quiet, millage and cold/hot grip... is worth the loss of warm dry grip. Trade-off's indeed.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Spike100

@steed77, I see your point, and we are in agreement. In fact, my comments about Extreme Contact DWS tires are based in 18” wheels with 350z OEM tire sizing.

Your evaluation using 19” wheels will certainly provide very different results, especially when evaluating sidewall flexing.

--Spike
Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 AM
iridelow

@iridelow is accustomed to a Corvette with maximum performance tires. He definitely will not be satisfied with a flimsy side-walled tire that won’t provide good feedback in a hard corner maneuver.

--Spike
Thanks guys..I am now getting the info I was looking for. I understand that the average age difference between Z owners and vette owners are very different, but as the vette forum, this forum has great knowledge as well and you guys seem to be able to pass it on as I needed. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Love-hate Z problem..