Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Love-hate Z problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by iridelow
Thanks guys..I am now getting the info I was looking for. I understand that the average age difference between Z owners and vette owners are very different, but as the vette forum, this forum has great knowledge as well and you guys seem to be able to pass it on as I needed. Thanks again!
May I ask what year Z you went with?

Being your retired and still looking for fun car toys, I would have went with a 07-08 Z car if you are worried about "underpowered."

07-08 HR engine + headers, testpipes, catback exhaust, intakes and Osiris tune coupled with some 4.08 gears is a real beast. Even more so a track beast with it's already great handling capabilities. Your looking at 365 - 375 hp at the crank with a serious kick in the *** with the gears.

I'd argue a lower costing HR z along with the mods I listed ($2,200) will outperform a higher costing c5, and look better and feel newer. Win win win.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM
iridelow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
May I ask what year Z you went with?

Being your retired and still looking for fun car toys, I would have went with a 07-08 Z car if you are worried about "underpowered."

07-08 HR engine + headers, testpipes, catback exhaust, intakes and Osiris tune coupled with some 4.08 gears is a real beast. Even more so a track beast with it's already great handling capabilities. Your looking at 365 - 375 hp at the crank with a serious kick in the *** with the gears.

I'd argue a lower costing HR z along with the mods I listed ($2,200) will outperform a higher costing c5, and look better and feel newer. Win win win.
I am not a fan of performance mods for many reasons. 1) the cost...
2) it hurts the value of the car and 3) It hurts the reliability and driveability of the car. Also, it's not about just power. I do not think any performance mods can turn a 350Z into a corvette beater unless you spend a $$$ and it will, put strain on a motor and drive train that is not made for such HP. Like I said, i had a c6 z06 that was just nasty power wise! But the car cost way more than i was willing to keep spending for a weekend toy! That's why i sold it. I bought the Z because it was under 12K, an 03 touring addition with low mileage. The car looks great and performs well for what it is. Please don't try the apples to oranges thing. The vette should be faster, it cost a lot more and is not as dependable or as reasonable to own as the Z. Thanks for the input anyway.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Nismo350z#0310

2) it hurts the value of the car and 3) It hurts the reliability and driveability of the car. Also, it's not about just power. I do not think any performance mods can turn a 350Z into a corvette beater unless you spend a $$$ and it will, put strain on a motor and drive train that is not made for such HP. Like I said, i had a c6 z06 that was just nasty power wise! But the car cost way more than i was willing to keep spending for a weekend toy! That's why i sold it. I bought the Z because it was under 12K, an 03 touring addition with low mileage. The car looks great and performs well for what it is. Please don't try the apples to oranges thing. The vette should be faster, it cost a lot more and is not as dependable or as reasonable to own as the Z. Thanks for the input anyway.
300 - 310 whp and the named performance Mods doesn't hurt the reliability or drivability at all. Doesn't hurt the drivetrain can handle much more than that as well. And it is a C5 Beater at that threshold. C6 Z06 obviously not. That car to me is one of the best buys sports car wise $100k and under.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

@iridelow… I totally agree with your opinion of engine mods. I’ve done a few of the years, and it’s rarely turned out to be economical or reliable. It's usually worked for me short term, but long term results have been poor to outright disaster.

The problem as I see it is that while the manufacturer runs extensive tests on hundreds of scenarios on thousands of cars, the individual modification you do is a test of one (and without a significant statistical value).

Putting this a different way: I would never buy a Z that has a modified engine or transmission.

--Spike

Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM
iridelow

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
300 - 310 whp and the named performance Mods doesn't hurt the reliability or drivability at all. Doesn't hurt the drivetrain can handle much more than that as well. And it is a C5 Beater at that threshold. C6 Z06 obviously not. That car to me is one of the best buys sports car wise $100k and under.
To be honest, it's not about HP. If you ever owned a c5 or a c6 vette, you would understand. The torque these cars have is unreal! I like my 350z and once it gets going, it has pretty good power....But come on. for a v6 it's great, but the last 3 vettes I had, 98 coupe, 06 Z06 and 05 vert, every one of these cars will jump with a touch of the gas...And the C6 vert and C6 Z06, holy #%@*. Well been there and done that, fun but very very very$$$$$$. As for now, i am enjoying the 350Z and don't care too much about the power thing. I just want a sporty car that rides nice and fun to drive!.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Nismo350z#0310

To be honest, it's not about HP. If you ever owned a c5 or a c6 vette, you would understand. The torque these cars have is unreal! I like my 350z and once it gets going, it has pretty good power....But come on. for a v6 it's great, but the last 3 vettes I had, 98 coupe, 06 Z06 and 05 vert, every one of these cars will jump with a touch of the gas...And the C6 vert and C6 Z06, holy #%@*. Well been there and done that, fun but very very very$$$$$$. As for now, i am enjoying the 350Z and don't care too much about the power thing. I just want a sporty car that rides nice and fun to drive!.
Yes, my brother had a C6 for a few years. I got to drive and ride several times. Very good pulls with acceleration and I really like the handling abilities as well. Seats felt better than the Z too lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM
bloodwings19

To be honest, it's not about HP. If you ever owned a c5 or a c6 vette, you would understand. The torque these cars have is unreal!
When I bought my Z, we also had a C5 Z06 then to a C6, I don't miss it one bit driving it. The Z gives me adequate power and can be driven with relaxation. The Vette needs to be pushed, or you would stall. You can't drive peacefully with the Vette either from noise, or from too much hp. I have two weekenders, except one of it isn't a Vette. I do miss driving like Batman, but my Z keeps me the happiest. C7, hmmm?!?!?!?