Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive a Sports Car 'Hard' to keep it Clean - Any Truth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much more important with older sports cars (i.e. those with little or no electronic engine management systems) than new. I've got three older Alfa Romeo's; '74 (Spica mechanical injection), '87 (Bosch L-Jet injection), and '92 (Bosch Motronic injection and ignition). Each has an engine in top condition, and all three all require an "Italian Tune-up" every so often, with the '74 needing it much more frequently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by lewisb01
The only known truth to that is the Rotary engines. They must be driven hard or they will fail.
LOL wut?

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

The only known truth is in carburated engines, and that truth is minimal at best. It's pretty much an excuse to go fast once in a while.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by K51
Much more important with older sports cars (i.e. those with little or no electronic engine management systems) than new. I've got three older Alfa Romeo's; '74 (Spica mechanical injection), '87 (Bosch L-Jet injection), and '92 (Bosch Motronic injection and ignition). Each has an engine in top condition, and all three all require an "Italian Tune-up" every so often, with the '74 needing it much more frequently.

Italian tuneup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So jelly you have 3 Alfas. Post some pics!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes post pics of the Alfa's!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ

I want to see some pics!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Dewhitt1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've built a lot of engines in my life, some for daily drivers and some for performance. Break-in is the crucial question more than anything. From the beginning allow lub to work best at low RPM between all shifts. Keep it low 100-150 miles. Very little idle Then take her to the road. Over a full day work your way to 100 or more mph then stay there as long as you can. Your setting the point where the engine will run at high RPMs. This point is the piston throw, rod, and journal/main relationship. your establishing memory so to speak. Do this from time to time throughout the life of the engine. But when driving everyday treat it well, don't be lazy check all levels frequently. MOST IMPORTANT-DO NOT GUN THE ENGINE. This does nothing good for any engine but jerk tolerances and small areas of slack over and over. Get out of the habit of rev rev rev at the light. Get control of your foot and your engine will last longer.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM
zswickliffe

Originally Posted by Syner
LOL wut?

The only known truth is in carburated engines, and that truth is minimal at best. It's pretty much an excuse to go fast once in a while.
Uhh... He's right. The carbon build up is a well-known killer of rotaries. The richer air-fuel ratio combined with oil injection cause carbon to build up quite quickly and higher RPMs help to clear that away.

My '97 Honda with about 200k miles on it certainly loved to be revved. Any time I went a week or so without going above 3k RPM, the idle became rough and the car ran horribly. A few high RPM runs would always set her straight.

As for my Z, I'm going to drive my car however it makes me happy. If you drive it hard and it lasts a few less miles, at least you used it for what it was made for and you enjoyed it while it lasted. For example, I could never buy a house then be uncomfortable with living in it because it may need a repair here or there if something happens. THAT'S WHAT IT'S THERE FOR. Enjoy it and don't worry so much.*

*Excluding absolute ABUSE. There's a point where you have to respect your investment, too.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by zswickliffe
Uhh... He's right. The carbon build up is a well-known killer of rotaries. The richer air-fuel ratio combined with oil injection cause carbon to build up quite quickly and higher RPMs help to clear that away.
Everyone I've spoken with basically says it's a myth, and shitty maintenance was the main killer. I could be wrong though, I have no personal experience with rotaries.

That being said, this whole notion of pushing the car to make it run better started in the days of carberated engines and is mainly untrue today.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Jcope

This was true in the older exotic cars and it stuck and people think its still true. 90's Ferraris and other exotics needed something called an Italian tune up which was driving the car really hard to clean the engine. This video of Jay Leno's Garage ( a great youtube series) covers a 2012 Gallardo and he talks about this subject when he is driving the car torwards the end of the video.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Blow out the carb, have fun, run premium, but dont be stupid all the time~20%...however, as others have stated, each manufacturer has their things, like my Eldorado N* needs be WOT blown frequently bc of age and lifter noise from stcking, and MN winters dont help
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM
K51

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'92:

'87:

'74:
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by Stock2Autocrozz
Blow out the carb, have fun, run premium, but dont be stupid all the time~20%...however, as others have stated, each manufacturer has their things, like my Eldorado N* needs be WOT blown frequently bc of age and lifter noise from stcking, and MN winters dont help
Blow out the carbs in a 350Z? Didn't think that was possible...
Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

350z are known for possible bearing issues and oil starvation and oil pump inadequacies.
i get on it often and use good gas, but i also never redline my car to the end of the spectrum.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 PM
BornSlippyZ

Very nice Alfa's K51!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Seriously... Can you provide a site (www.whatever.com) that validates your uncle's comments?

--Spike

Can't say for all cars but my uncle that works for BMW said BMWs have the most engine problems with elderly owners, since the engines get sooo much carbon buildup.

I have also seen an RX7 that was babied for over 20k miles, never taken even close the redline, and blew on its 2nd quarter mile run.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM
lewisb01

I'm not even going to waste my time with you on this!

LOL wut?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Stock2Autocrozz

Blow out the carbs in a 350Z? Didn't think that was possible...
Carbs= Meaning Carbon. ...or carbohydrates, either one blow em out and be healther personally and automotively!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes this is totally the opinion of my uncle's professional experience which he has over 35 years of from BMW, Volvo, Fiat and Alfa Romeo, and Porsche. I'm not trying to act like he is 100% right, I'm just saying that I do listen to his knowledge as he does have alot of experience at his jobs as well as all the cars he built from the ground up in his garage.

The 13B is subjective too, because as you said they are ticking time bombs. It could have been a cooncidence, sure, they are unreliable cars. I just thought it was weird that it was literally the 2nd time in 20k miles that the car went to redline and just blew.
But what about Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru/FHI, Hyundai, Diahatsu, Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, etc? It'd be an accurate sample if he had equal work experience at every large manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if the largest number of motor problems with the elderly occurred in Buick Lesabres...

I know what you're trying to say, but understand that saying "the most" is a huge general statement.

As for the 13B experience you speak of... I've heard several stories of just that happening. After 40k, rebuild required. After 5k, engine blows again. 10k later, engine blows yet again. From what I've heard, it's the process of the rebuild that greatly affects the longevity of the motor. IIRC, something to do with precision work on the apex seals?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

As I keep saying, it is opinion, not a fact, I don't understand how many times I need to say it. It is experience that made these opinions, not just pulled out of his ***. Not saying ALL, just saying what he has seen was that chances of engine problems increase at an elderly age. It is just like a opinion that most younger drivers crash. Not all crash, but alot do. Of course that is much easier to show statistical information and I am sure no car manufacturers show stats based on age and car issues.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 AM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post #7 is on... Post #27 I like. Carbon can be a bugger if you drive it in city all the time and not at least get on it a little at least once in a while. I like just plain hwy driving, but I also do get on it once in a while after a period of time. But we must remember that every single person has their own honest opinion from their own belief and personal experiences. Want a professional opinion, check with "Rob" at ZCargarage.com. He will give you his honest opinion. He's has the experience of doing everything from regular maintenance to building race engines and driving experiences on the track.

Quick Reply: Drive a Sports Car 'Hard' to keep it Clean - Any Truth?