Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Opinions on looking at peoples' cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM
zaimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on looking at peoples' cars?

So I was at the bar Saturday afternoon for my aunt's birthday party. I had the Z sitting out front, of to the side of the lot. My dad was laughing and told me it looked like people like my car. I look out the window of the bar and see two people (woman and man, mustve been a couple) circling my car looking at it. I was fine with it until I saw them put their hands and face on the windows. I stepped out of the bar and yelled at them asking if they wanted to buy it. Should've seen the look on their faces . They told me they were checking to see if it had a back seat. I replied, "Well, it doesn't." I feel people have to right to go up and check out the inside of my car but thats just me .

What are your guys' opinions on stuff like this?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
WreakZ

It's kinda annoying especially when your coming out of a store or something and you see ppl just standing there looking at your car it's kinda awkward when they see your the owner and they just casually walk away but thats usually younger dudes trying to see what you have or w/e it's a different story with older gentlemen, you can say theyre more respectable you kno keep hands to them selfs theyll ask about it, kinda cool. other than that it's not a car show

Last edited by WreakZ; 04-24-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

people need to keep their damn hands to themselves.. don't want swirls/scratches introduced to my car as its black and have spent many many hours keeping her that way
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

just saw a commercial where these robot chicks debut some new car and guy goes and touches it and kicks the tire...robot chick beats his ***.
think we need this form of car security.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Wicked_Z

Yeah, i dont care who looks at my car but DONT EVER touch it!!!
I bought a brand new 2013 Chrysler 300 and drove it to friends house.. I came out and found a guy and girl making out while he had her pushed up against my fender.. I mean really, you have the nads to just walk up and lean on a brand new car that isnt yours? I blame the parents for never teaching their kids respect for someone elses property..
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Hornlesscow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked_Z
Yeah, i dont care who looks at my car but DONT EVER touch it!!!
I bought a brand new 2013 Chrysler 300 and drove it to friends house.. I came out and found a guy and girl making out while he had her pushed up against my fender.. I mean really, you have the nads to just walk up and lean on a brand new car that isnt yours? I blame the parents for never teaching their kids respect for someone elses property..
i guess thats what happens when you dont hit your kids, i got the **** beaten out of me for running into a car with my bike, i NEVER even looked at someone elses car after that
Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Time for a trunk monkey...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't get as much attention as I used to when I first bought the Z back in 05. It still catches some attention but no where near how it used to be.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Zaimer. If you have a cool sports car, hot rod, classic car etc. and you make it your daily driver, it’s best to accept that it can never retain Concours d’Elegance status forever. Rock chips happen, swirl marks appear out of nowhere, hand and nose prints will be your constant companions. Driving a beautiful car is wonderful, having it be the only highlight in your life, not so much.

Knowing how careless people can be, I always look for the safest place to park my car. However once parked, that’s it, I don’t look back at it, I’m not tempted to change spots, I trust to Saint Frances of Rome (patron saint of motoring) to keep it unmolested. That way I can carry on and be amazing at everything else.

Study Buddhism, it will teach how to be OK with whatever happens.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always park as far as I can in a parking lot. I never mind the extra walk. A longer walk is much better than a big ol' dent from some d-bag who wasn't looking while getting out of the car.

I'm ok with people looking but everyone should know their limits.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM
jmShiftinZ

Aside from door dings in store parking lots, I had some jealous teenage haters messing with my Z that stay at the high rise condo tower I live at. Out of the 50+ cars in the parking lot they would always target my Z. Never any damage but they would throw fast food trash on it and put this park bench from the court yard behind my Z to try to block it for a cheap laugh. I never caught them in act since I live up on the 6th floor and have to get up and go to the window and look down to see my car.

On the 3rd time they put the bench there I took a pic from up above and went down there busted the bench all to *** and threw the pieces in the dumpster which solved that problem haha. I have since sold the silver z in the pic a month ago and currently shopping for a black or red roadster. I think I'll be installing a mini HD camera up on my balcony and maybe one inside the car to watch/record my next z.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on looking at peoples' cars?-350zparkbenchproblem1.png  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Zaimer. If you have a cool sports car, hot rod, classic car etc. and you make it your daily driver, it’s best to accept that it can never retain Concours d’Elegance status forever.
Speaking of Concours and other high profile shows (or any show for that matter), just picture your Z on display at the show, how many finger prints you have all over the car by the end of the day. If I charged them per finger print on my Z, and the occasional scratch from careless idiot, with studs on the back pockets of their jeans, or ladies with metal bits on handbags, ............
Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I only saw this once, and it was an elderly couple. The man was looking in my car when I approached him. He apologized for touching my car and said he used to have a 72 240z that he used to work on when his back was better. Then he told me to take care of my car because his got stolen and he never saw it again, and it was his most prized possession because it was the last thing him and his dad worked on. Gents, no lie, I almost cried.....

I can understand the general hatred towards teenagers putting their greasy claws all over our Zs, but take my story with a word of caution.Dont run out yelling at people just because they touch your car, some people cant help but to touch our cars because it reminds them of something they once had.

That old mans story hit me right in the feels.....
Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

I always take care of my car, and I get pissed when people are blatantly disrespectful.

But...

It is an old car already. I'm happy people still give it attention and think it looks great. If someone is looking in my window with their girlfriend and admiring my car, I'm not going to yell at them, I'd take it as a compliment.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 AM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see our cars as old. Compared to the junk that's on the road, I'm proud of my Z. Even for 10 years since the Z's been out, this car has aged super well. Nissan did a fantastic job.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM
GreyZ33Track

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem with my last car, a 92 Corrado VR6. I work at walmart, and would constantly have fellow workers report to me that some kids were looking at my car, taking pictures of it and with it....it freaked my out at first, but it is kinda a rare car to see in good condition. Nothing ever happened to it there in the almost 3 years I owned it. just something that comes with a cool/rare/niche car.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by drvqz33
I don't see our cars as old. Compared to the junk that's on the road, I'm proud of my Z. Even for 10 years since the Z's been out, this car has aged super well. Nissan did a fantastic job.
I agree, they have aged well and Nissan did a great job with the design. I'm just trying to emphasize that people shouldn't go nuts because someone is admiring their car. Chances are, if someone is leaving a car in the parking lot, it is not a weekend cruiser/show car - therefore, some fingerprints on your window are the least of your worries.

Last edited by Syner; 04-25-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 AM
zaimer

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Zaimer. If you have a cool sports car, hot rod, classic car etc. and you make it your daily driver, it’s best to accept that it can never retain Concours d’Elegance status forever. Rock chips happen, swirl marks appear out of nowhere, hand and nose prints will be your constant companions. Driving a beautiful car is wonderful, having it be the only highlight in your life, not so much.

Knowing how careless people can be, I always look for the safest place to park my car. However once parked, that’s it, I don’t look back at it, I’m not tempted to change spots, I trust to Saint Frances of Rome (patron saint of motoring) to keep it unmolested. That way I can carry on and be amazing at everything else.

Study Buddhism, it will teach how to be OK with whatever happens.
My Z isn't my daily driver. Rock chips and swirl marked can be fixed . But I understand what you're saying, and I agree. But study Buddhism??
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
zaimer

Originally Posted by go7roo7
I only saw this once, and it was an elderly couple. The man was looking in my car when I approached him. He apologized for touching my car and said he used to have a 72 240z that he used to work on when his back was better. Then he told me to take care of my car because his got stolen and he never saw it again, and it was his most prized possession because it was the last thing him and his dad worked on. Gents, no lie, I almost cried.....

I can understand the general hatred towards teenagers putting their greasy claws all over our Zs, but take my story with a word of caution.Dont run out yelling at people just because they touch your car, some people cant help but to touch our cars because it reminds them of something they once had.

That old mans story hit me right in the feels.....
Loved the story ..glad your car reminded him of the good ole days with his Z. Like you said, I think it depends on the person to how I react. I would most likely never view an older person as a threat vs a teenager messing around with the car. And I should've been more descriptive in my story haha..I was also laughing when I yelled at them so it wasn't a full on scream
Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM
zaimer

Originally Posted by drvqz33
I always park as far as I can in a parking lot. I never mind the extra walk. A longer walk is much better than a big ol' dent from some d-bag who wasn't looking while getting out of the car.

I'm ok with people looking but everyone should know their limits.
Yes, this is exactly how I feel. I also try to park away from the "populated" part of the lot . Anything that decreases the chance of me getting more dents in my car I will do. And like other members have said, I love when people look at my car. I too view it as a huge compliment, but there is a line. I would never dream of sticking my hands and face on some strangers car. Its a bit of a stretch, but how is sticking your face to a window of a strangers car any different than say looking into a window of a house? I just don't see that as ok

Quick Reply: Opinions on looking at peoples' cars?