Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bad scracth :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone who thought his dad or any parent owes a child any kind of repayment is fkt up in the head lol. kudos OP
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Hornlesscow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my thought exactly thanks man!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Touch up paint from the dealer. That's why they have touch up paint for things like this. If it bothers you still, stop being cheap and just fix it or get over it and put weird stickers and plastidip all over it.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
The paintless dent removal guys that prep used cars for dealers may be able to help, as they often do touchup work, too. Some are very skilled. I'd call the local paintless dent removal guys and see if you can find one willing to take on the task.

Dealer touchup paint sucks, though, and I've never found them to be a good match. I always buy mine from this company:
Extremely good suggestion.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
dont do this. it wont even come close to matching. not only will the color look like crap but the clear will be way off as well.
like others said just leave the scratch until one day having the panel repainted correctly by a shop you know will paint match well.
a scratch looks less ghetto than all other options
a very small amount of silver touchup paint only on the white part of the scratch might look ok, use a very thin brush. maybe a silver sharpe.
did this to my brothers new corolla. came out great. used 2K clear coat though which is good stuff and lays pretty flat.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 PM
J 0 K 3 R

i have diplomas for painting cars, as well as collision repair and welding. spray paint is not for cars. i can correctly paint a car panel for 60$ in paint, i would however need a decent spray booth, paint gun (have it), compressor to supply 15cfm+ @25+psi for 10 mins at a time, and a power supply that can power that compressor.

im not tryin to argue with ya, i just believe in donig it right or not at all.

Last edited by J 0 K 3 R; 05-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 PM
freddys 350z

try telling that to the OP. i gave him a cheap option since he doesn't wanna spend the money.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 AM
jmShiftinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" i don't want to keep spending money on every little thing so im looking for a cheap solution"

"i gave him a cheap option since he doesn't wanna spend the money"

by that logic later when it's time to get a newer car his z wont have much if any trade in/re-sale value at all
especially if theirs still a lien on the car. Everything that was done "cheap" will be deducted off what it's worth
when he gets rid of it which can add up to few thousand lost real quick.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 PM
freddys 350z

+1. the op doesn't get it. i mean...he wants to put plati-dip stripes along the side of his Z.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM
WreakZ

Just get a sticker of a bandaid
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a tip... fix it.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM
ParanoidAndroid

scratches...they are bound to happen get over it.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freddys 350z
$40 of paint and you can do a decent job. atleast until you can fix it right. wet sand the whole panel with 1000grit till the whole surface is dull.(dont go to the metal) feather the area where the scratch is so it smooth(you will go to metal here). primer the area where you feathered the scratch, wet sand the area smooth with 1000 grit. spray the whole area with the base coat color(can be had for $20) leaving 8" along the edge of the panel un painted. lay as many coats as need to blend in. then put 3-4 coats of clear coat.

of course you have to tape every thing off to prevent over spray, but its it an effective way to fix it good.
On bare metal you need to apply a self etching primer first. 1000 grit is to fine for applying primer, stick with 220 or 320. Base coat is generally 800-1000 grit. You also need a sealer over the primer before applying base.

Do yourself a favor and buy some touch up paint and brush it in, if you don't want to leave it alone/slap a sticker on it until you have it properly repaired. If you spray aerosol on your car it will need to be stripped off when the repair is done properly. Which increases your blend area. As it sits they might be able to stay away from blending into the door. Depending on how it feathers out when sanding, whether or not it has dents, and so on.

When buying touch up paint, go to an automotive paint store with your code. They have sample color chips of the formulas you can hold up to your car (out in the sun) and pick the best match. When you go to the dealer they just give you the standard formula. There is probably 3 or 4 alternates along with the standard match for the formula. Once you have this all you need is a thin brush to apply. If you use a thick brush it makes it hard to stay clean inside the scratch. Make sure you mix the paint often as the metallics will settle to the bottom of the can while you're applying the paint. You can go further in depth by applying clear as well, if need be I'll explain this process as well.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Ak48z

You should try Dr. Color Chip.. I've never seen anyone use it on a big scratch but it looks pretty good for covering decent size rock chips.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Hornlesscow

to everyone talking about resale value and stuff like that it doesnt interest me im sorry and i paid cash for my car there are no leins or loans, and i plan on driving it until it gets totaled like i did my prizm and rx8(neither of which were my fault) so im in it for the long haul. i know scratches are bound to happen which is why i dont want to fix it yet just incase, with my luck, the same panel gets scratched again. i am going to touchup paint it like many of you suggested and freddy please read all the comments because as i said i decided not to go with the stripe, which i knew wasnt the best idea to begin with, and as many others pointed out your suggestion isnt the best plus though u may be skilled i dont want to turn a $400 scratch into new paint and panel, im all for trying new things but not when it comes to a car like this, and the fact that once the sandpaper hits the paint there is no going back.

and one more thing, one of the reasons im against repainting is after replacing my bumper i was pissed because i realized i could've gotten a aftermarket painted for $100 more plus it wouldve looked a lot better and different, i just dont want to fix it then regret it because i want to change the look of my car.

Last edited by Hornlesscow; 05-12-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Kris T.b

Plasti Dip is not Rice, Its Cheap an affective. People "here" think its rice, cause anything cheap or replicated is automatic ****...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 PM
HanoverZ

Originally Posted by Kris T.b
Plasti Dip is not Rice, Its Cheap an affective. People "here" think its rice, cause anything cheap or replicated is automatic ****...
People catch flack for cheap and replicated **** because it's cheap and replicated ****.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Kris T.b

Originally Posted by HanoverZ
People catch flack for cheap and replicated **** because it's cheap and replicated ****.
as for me i buy the legit real things, i jsut look for deal's...
i am not a fan of replica but some people can't afford 2000 coilovers or exhaust.

As for plasti Dip, Cheap and effective, durable, and so much to do with it. if you don't like it takes 5 min to get rid of.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Plastidipping your entire car is definitely useful if you might encounter sticky situations. I had to swtich my plate on one of my cars and then used plasti dip to change the color of the entire car so it won't be recognized for the time being. Definitely a useful and functional thing depending how you look at it. I heard some people even plasti dip their cars for the winter so the paint doesn't take any abuse.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:52 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Jermy
^if you're curious as to wtf is on my bumper.... its the remains of the nightmare that is plastidip... still working on getting that **** off months later
As for plasti Dip, Cheap and effective, durable, and so much to do with it. if you don't like it takes 5 min to get rid of.

Quick Reply: Bad scracth :(