2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to convince my Dad to get me a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone is right that you shouldn't be trading something that isn't yours. At the same time though Jeep is one of the worst and most unreliable car manufacturer and a 350z will last you much longer and most likely be cheaper to keep up with. As far as insurance goes I don't think it's as bad as everyone says I'm decently young and I previously owned a Celica and liability for the 350z was actually quoted cheaper than the Celica.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolsilver
Everyone is right that you shouldn't be trading something that isn't yours. At the same time though Jeep is one of the worst and most unreliable car manufacturer and a 350z will last you much longer and most likely be cheaper to keep up with. As far as insurance goes I don't think it's as bad as everyone says I'm decently young and I previously owned a Celica and liability for the 350z was actually quoted cheaper than the Celica.

I'm sorry, but you have no clue what you are talking about. The I6 4.0L HO was one of the most reliable engines ever made.

And insurance is that bad for younger guys.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 PM
logan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't even be able to afford a breakdown at 10 bucks an hour, hell you'll barely be able to keep up with reg maintenance at that rate.

You should wait a couple years, find a good job, then maybe you will be ready.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 PM
MyO3Z

Jeep is one of the worst and most unreliable car manufacturer
LOL not to stray away, but Jeeps (Cherokee and Wranglers) are some of the most reliable vehicles out there. The other garbage they produce is the problem. 2.5L and the 4.0L will basically last forever with normal maintenance.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
EbbZ

I'm "decently" young as well & will testify that insurance is that bad.
Sadly enough, my 350z has cost me way more than I thought it would in the first year alone.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Koolsilver

Saying he won't be able to keep up with regular maintenance isn't a very good argument as all cars will require general maintenance and if he can't afford that than he shouldn't be driving anything. As far as insurance I'm speaking from personal experience because I'm a "younger guy" and my insurance cost is not bad at all with full coverage, maybe I just got a good deal or something. The engines in the jeeps may be reliable but there is much more to a car than just an engine; there is no way you can say Jeep can compare in reliability to Nissan.

I'm just play devil's advocate here. I still stick to saying he shouldn't be trading something that isn't his and he should wait; but at the same time his reasoning isn't too flawed.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
FWM69

Lol I should be the godfather of this thread, got my first 350Z when I was 16, now I'm 18 and am in my second one (No, I did not wreck my first one). Needless to say, if you're not making money and a lot of it, you will not be able to afford having a Z. Second of all, get prepared to be harrased by the police. 3rd of all, if you don't know how to drive fast already, this is not the car to learn in. Most of you young people underestimatw the true power of a Z. I've had countless young friends with Z/G's getting into wrecks.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 PM
FWM69

Originally Posted by Syner
OP: better lube up, this is going to be a bumpy ride.
^THIS.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Flick Montana

Oh good lord...

If you get the job, buy the car yourself. Get your dad to cosign on the loan.

If you're old enough to get a job, you're old enough to buy your own stuff and not suckle at daddy's teat...

Last edited by Flick Montana; 05-29-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 AM
Wakatow1369

I had to take a few steps to make it to the Z I have now. Learned alot of valuable driving skills and most importantly, maturity. I wanted a fast car more than anything when I first started driving but now I'm glad I didn't. At that age if I had a Z I would've thought it was the fastest thing on the street and done some dumb stuff with it, most likely would've wrecked it and hurt myself and/or someone else. Every car I've owned I've bought myself and that gives you a sense of accomplishment as well as a much bigger appreciation for the car.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:42 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

In for the new Dugan thread............................. staring OP
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM
l2iceman

Originally Posted by FWM69
now I'm 18...Most of you young people...

Originally Posted by OneLovelyZee
Getting the Z isn't really a good idea in your situation to be honest. You could fit more guys in your Wrangler.
Well...the Z is more intimate lol maybe that's what the OP is looking for with his companion lol
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 AM
Syner

Saying he won't be able to keep up with regular maintenance isn't a very good argument as all cars will require general maintenance and if he can't afford that than he shouldn't be driving anything. As far as insurance I'm speaking from personal experience because I'm a "younger guy" and my insurance cost is not bad at all with full coverage, maybe I just got a good deal or something. The engines in the jeeps may be reliable but there is much more to a car than just an engine; there is no way you can say Jeep can compare in reliability to Nissan.

I'm just play devil's advocate here. I still stick to saying he shouldn't be trading something that isn't his and he should wait; but at the same time his reasoning isn't too flawed.

What isn't flawed with his logic? The two of you sound about the same.

Maybe not after their overhaul - but an XJ will outlive a Pathfinder built in the same year.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 AM
FWM69

Originally Posted by l2iceman

Well...the Z is more intimate lol maybe that's what the OP is looking for with his companion lol
there's a lot to learn in two years my friend.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM
rosaaen89

350z will pry get better gas mileage as long as you dont rod the crap out of it, as for jeeps i've never heard anything good about them but yet people love them for some reason. I paid 5600 cash for my 350z needed a tad bit of work but i love the car and is fun to drive. You'd be much happier with the 350z than the jeep if you can afford it
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by rosaaen89
350z will pry get better gas mileage as long as you dont rod the crap out of it, as for jeeps i've never heard anything good about them but yet people love them for some reason. I paid 5600 cash for my 350z needed a tad bit of work but i love the car and is fun to drive. You'd be much happier with the 350z than the jeep if you can afford it
Sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

Have you ever owned a Jeep? Speak on experience, not assumption.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Gumby Gone Wild

Originally Posted by ChrisCFHS
-What should I say to convince my dad to let me trade? (Keep in mind, my dad is in the Army)

-What after market parts should I get that are a reasonable price?
Have you tried holding your breath until he gives in? Or making a scene in a public place until you get your way? Be a brat in front of his friends?

Reasonably priced is relative to your inco- Oh right, you should hopefully have a job soon....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by Gumby Gone Wild
Have you tried holding your breath until he gives in? Or making a scene in a public place until you get your way? Be a brat in front of his friends?

Reasonably priced is relative to your inco- Oh right, you should hopefully have a job soon....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Maffucci10

Get the car and pay it off FIRST, BEFORE you start looking for parts.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:04 AM
OneLovelyZee

Here's a good idea that I just thought of..

1.Each paycheck, buy one 350z part. Then once you have all the parts for it, take it to a reputable shop and have them put all the parts together and now you have a Z!

2.Or you could take the easy way out and tell daddy you will no longer love him if he doesn't get you want you want.

I have a question for you guys: would it be cheaper for Op to paint each exterior piece individually or would it be cheaper if he waited to get all the parts, have the Z assembled and paint it?

Last edited by OneLovelyZee; 05-29-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Trying to convince my Dad to get me a 350z