Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Trying to convince my Dad to get me a 350z

Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM
OneLovelyZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a good idea in my opinion. What happens if you don't pass probation at work and they end up letting you go? How are you going to pay for the insurance and gas? Are you going to threaten to disown your dad if he doesn't pick up your slack?

Edit: maybe you could at least wait till you pass probation. Don't know Best Buy is doing in your area but the ones around here are taking hits due to everyone shopping online due to better prices. You should do a lot of calculating before committing on a purchase this big.

Last edited by OneLovelyZee; 05-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Rocknthehawk

Originally Posted by ChrisCFHS
@Rocknthehawk I'm not sure who's trolling here. My questions are 100% legitimate and are for a good reason.
Because of this VVVVV

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
So to sum up; you're going to be car-poor and in debt to your dad.
Car-poor sucks, a lot of us have been there. Drive your dad's Jeep for as long as possible and save every penny you can.

It's apparent you don't understand the value of a dollar, have few (if any) responsibilities, and won't take any advice that isn't what you want to hear.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Tuco

Originally Posted by bluz03
^^^
OP: if this is your car look closely at the front drivers side. This car has been wrecked and poorly repaired, the hood and fender body lines are way off.
Nice catch, and yet it say's it has a clean carfax. hmmmm
Good news is op went from 79k down to 73k.
Is the op even out of high school yet? What do you plan on doing when you get back to HS/College?

Last edited by Tuco; 05-30-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Chadro

Car-poor sucks, a lot of us have been there. Drive your dad's Jeep for as long as possible and save every penny you can.

It's apparent you don't understand the value of a dollar, have few (if any) responsibilities, and won't take any advice that isn't what you want to hear.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever. If the kid's a troll, who cares? If he's stupid enough not to take good advice, who cares? If his dad is dumb enough to get him a written off Z for $7/hr at best buy that he will probably stick into a tree within two weeks, who cares?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuco
Nice catch, and yet it say's it has a clean carfax. hmmmm
Good news is op went from 79k down to 73k.
Is the op even out of high school yet? What do you plan on doing when you get back to HS/College?
Nope, he said somewhere that he is 17.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
NissanZguy

Meh, kids now a-days want everything now, and don't have any patience to wait or learn.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 AM
ChrisCFHS

This has nothing to do with me not having any responsibilities, instant gratification, or stubbornness. The reason I want to trade the Jeep for a 350z is because I want something that I can appreciate. I want something to be proud of. And yes, I do know the value of a dollar. I've been awarded many awards for my outstanding knowledge in business and finance, and I've been asked to attend two prestigious colleges for a Business & Leadership conference. Me being in high school has nothing to do with my knowledge of society and the economy. And NEVER have I not taken advice because it "wasn't what I wanted to hear".

Thanks to those of you who actually gave me some useful advice. If my dad decides to trade the Jeep for the 350z then OK. If he doesn't however, then it's not the end of the world. I understand it's a big decision to make and respect his decision no matter the outcome.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

The reason I want to trade the Jeep for a 350z is because I want something that I can appreciate. I want something to be proud of. And yes, I do know the value of a dollar. I've been awarded many awards for my outstanding knowledge in business and finance, and I've been asked to attend two prestigious colleges for a Business & Leadership conference. Me being in high school has nothing to do with my knowledge of society and the economy.
If you have such "outstanding" knowledge of our society, then you would understand that not many kids your age even have the luxury of having a vehicle. And a Jeep? Why would you not be proud of owning that...? C'mon.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you got $, u can do w/e you want. Your $, your call.

Question is, do you think you can sustain the Z with a mere $10/hour?

I didn't buy my Z until I made $20-30/hour because I knew I was gonna mod it legit. Not going the ricer route, buying cheap knockoffs parts here n there.

Just look more realistically. Your life right now isn't all about the Z. Sure maybe you can work your @$$ off @ ~$10/hour, maybe have no $ left over for other activities. What point is a Z if you don't got $ to go out and and be seen driving it?

If I were you, I'd be patient. Land yourself a legit job, then you can buy a 370z legit and have $ to mod too and not have to penny pinch.

Last edited by Deteria; 05-30-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Syner

This has nothing to do with me not having any responsibilities, instant gratification, or stubbornness. The reason I want to trade the Jeep for a 350z is because I want something that I can appreciate. I want something to be proud of. And yes, I do know the value of a dollar. I've been awarded many awards for my outstanding knowledge in business and finance, and I've been asked to attend two prestigious colleges for a Business & Leadership conference. Me being in high school has nothing to do with my knowledge of society and the economy. And NEVER have I not taken advice because it "wasn't what I wanted to hear".

Thanks to those of you who actually gave me some useful advice. If my dad decides to trade the Jeep for the 350z then OK. If he doesn't however, then it's not the end of the world. I understand it's a big decision to make and respect his decision no matter the outcome.
If you respect his decision so much, why did you come to an online forum looking for advice to "convince him?"
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 AM
ChrisCFHS

@Depravity I'm thankful to at least have a car. I want something that I can enjoy, something more than a car - a hobby. My family has the money, it's just a matter of whether or not it's a good idea to get one now. Some people's hobbies include: collecting baseball cards, shoes, clothes, video games, etc. I'm intrigued by cars, especially affordable sports cars.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM
MyO3Z

If he's living at home without any significant payments $10/hr would be enough....but that's where the good stops.

Winter....have you ever driven a RWD sports car in winter? Like I said before, I didn't before my Z, but loved it, but it's a world of difference from a Jeep or family sedan and you could easily smash a curb, tree, car, or anything really if you don't know what you're doing. Hell, I go ice racing with my car club and have had my Z over 60mph on glare ice and have ridden in a vehicle into the triple digits on ice. It's a different story that maybe you're not prepared to face.

Gotta think...2 sets of tires (winter, summer) unless they'll let you park it and use the Jeep for the winter. and what if you get it and the clutch blows? or some other major factor. My clutch just went out....be prepared for $1000 fix...min.

Last edited by MyO3Z; 05-30-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM
ChrisCFHS

@Syner Well first off, my initial question was never answered and the replies contained some sort of criticism towards me and my desires. I don't understand why my age has to come into play here. I love cars and have always envied the Z, and I'm not sure why i'm receiving criticism for wanting to accept the responsibility to maintain and own a car I love. I have big goals for myself. I want to live a life where I won't have to worry about financial security or how i'm going to get my next meal. The majority of teenagers in our society these days have no goals or dreams. And if they do, they set them really low. Also, a lot of kids who have the money decide to spend it on ILLEGAL drugs such as Marijuana. All I want to do is spend my hard earned money on a car and modifications. I've never smoked or drank and never plan on doing so. I know what's right from wrong and what it takes to achieve my dreams. Secondly, have you ever heard of the word "preference"? I prefer to have the 350z over the Jeep. Of course i'm not going to throw a fit or be upset with my dad for not trading my Jeep for the Z. I love my parents and are extremely thankful and gracious for everything I have and everything they've done for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM
stuartc323

You obviously arent understanding, which leads me to doubt your business prowess, especially with you living at home in high school, never had a job, and your parents pay for everything. You dont know the value of a dollar. The reason i say this is because if you did you would be riding that jeep out till it dies and you will focus on getting into a good college which isnt cheap nowadays. You also wouldnt be looking to convince your dad on spending HIS money to buy YOU a Z, you didnt earn that ****, your dad did, His name is on the check that he gets and the bank account he puts it in. You dont know **** about business, and those conferences dont mean ****, unless you have an acceptance letter to a masters program that is recognized for business, or you have worked in the industry, dont make claims that you know what your talking about, and from by reading your responses you dont know what your talking about and you sound like evry other rich kid.

If you get the car: learn to drive it.

If you dont get the car: STFU and understand why.

@Depravity I'm thankful to at least have a car. I want something that I can enjoy, something more than a car - a hobby. My family has the money, it's just a matter of whether or not it's a good idea to get one now. Some people's hobbies include: collecting baseball cards, shoes, clothes, video games, etc. I'm intrigued by cars, especially affordable sports cars.

In your case, its affordable for your dad.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM
stuartc323

@Syner Well first off, my initial question was never answered and the replies contained some sort of criticism towards me and my desires. I don't understand why my age has to come into play here. I love cars and have always envied the Z, and I'm not sure why i'm receiving criticism for wanting to accept the responsibility to maintain and own a car I love. I have big goals for myself. I want to live a life where I won't have to worry about financial security or how i'm going to get my next meal. The majority of teenagers in our society these days have no goals or dreams. And if they do, they set them really low. Also, a lot of kids who have the money decide to spend it on ILLEGAL drugs such as Marijuana. All I want to do is spend my hard earned money on a car and modifications. I've never smoked or drank and never plan on doing so. I know what's right from wrong and what it takes to achieve my dreams. Secondly, have you ever heard of the word "preference"? I prefer to have the 350z over the Jeep. Of course i'm not going to throw a fit or be upset with my dad for not trading my Jeep for the Z. I love my parents and are extremely thankful and gracious for everything I have and everything they've done for me.

You are already setting yourself up for failure, mr. businessman

Last edited by stuartc323; 05-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
you obviously arent understanding, which leads me to doubt your business prowess, especially with you living at home in high school, never had a job, and your parents pay for everything. You dont know the value of a dollar. The reason i say this is because if you did you would be riding that jeep out till it dies and you will focus on getting into a good college which isnt cheap nowadays. You also wouldnt be looking to convince your dad on spending his money to buy you a z, you didnt earn that ****, your dad did, his name is on the check that he gets and the bank account he puts it in. You dont know **** about business, and those conferences dont mean ****, unless you have an acceptance letter to a masters program that is recognized for business, or you have worked in the industry, dont make claims that you know what your talking about, and from by reading your responses you dont know what your talking about and you sound like evry other rich kid.

If you get the car: Learn to drive it.

If you dont get the car: Stfu and understand why.

In your case, its affordable for your dad.
+1000000000000000000000!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:35 PM
ChrisCFHS

@stuartc323 Clearly you need to read through the original post. My dad won't be paying for anything to get the car. The Jeep is worth 2k more than the Z. So in fact, we'd be receiving the car and $2k. Simply, the depreciation value of the Z is a lot more than the Jeep.
My school is 30 minutes away from my house and my potential employer is 30 minutes away from my house. (60 minutes from school to job) My jeep gets around 15mpg and has a pretty small tank. The Z gets around 20-25. I can't even go a week without having to fill up my tank again. And I am FAR from being a rich kid. My dad is in the Army and my mom is a teacher. I'm not sure if you've looked into the incomes of either of those jobs, but they're pretty low.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Syner

You keep making the same mistake over and over: "My Jeep"

It's not "your Jeep," the title is in your dad's name; therefore, it is your "dad's Jeep."

Every teenager dreams of big money, get over yourself.

And FYI - teachers make much more than $9/hr at BestBuy. To say they don't make much, shows you have little understanding of the economy.

Last edited by Syner; 05-30-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
optimusprim3

Name:  TYNQl.gif
Views: 11
Size:  1.84 MB

Just tell him you need to get more *****, he'll understand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to convince my Dad to get me a 350z