Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stereo install -- pics and all!! (Fixed links)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 02:14 PM
knihc2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is friggin shweet! how far is the place away from los angeles aboutish? i'm probably gonna get my stereo done there if anything, they look like they do a good job. any pics of the finished product? you only gave us the pics of your car all messed up. i'd love to see how it all looks like finished.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:40 PM
z461

Yea... i'll take some pictures of the final product as soon as I get some spare time. Like I said, you can't tell because the car pretty much looks completely stock after the upgrade. Also, this place is in Encino out in the Valley off Haskell road on the 101 freeway. It's right next to Van Nuys and Sherman Oaks...
Traffic Jamz also has one more shop in La Canada up the 2 freeway about 15 minutes from downtown LA, but the owner works at the Encino Traffic Jamz store and he was one of the tech's working on my car. VERY knowledgable and dedicated--I can't stress it enough.

-Chris Young
Old 09-14-2002, 02:48 PM
bighamz

Got a photo of the rear end of the head unit? Also interested in keeping the stock look...
Old 09-14-2002, 03:32 PM
knihc2008

la canada? that's half an hour from where i live. much closer than encino. maybe i'll check that place out.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:34 PM
knihc2008

it's actually on the way to my school (school's a 45 minute drive). chris can you get me specific directions to the la canada site or maybe just a number? thanks.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:02 PM
roberto350z

unless of course the auto eq is some cheap algorithm with inputs from the gear selection and speedometer.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:31 PM
z461

The site for their place is www.trafficjamz.com
Old 09-15-2002, 11:59 AM
SunsetZ

This crappy auto volume thing must be designed for the convertible. The sound level changes in this car are very minimal from 80 miles an hour to zero. Please somebody find out how to fix our systems without having to spend any more cash!
Old 09-15-2002, 02:17 PM
VaGentleman

From z461's thread about the complete audio system install, it appears that the auto-eq/auto-volume crap is located in the amp.

Thus, the following questions:

1) how many amplifier units (i.e., physical units) does the Touring Bose system have and where is it/are they located?

2) since the source of the auto-eq/auto-volume problem is in the amp, will not replacing just the amp rectify the problem??

3) was it necessary to replace the stock sub or was that just personal preference???

I have not yet received my car (hopefully the 25th??) and it is for this type of issue I so appreciate this site and it's members!!

I would appreciate any information that can be given.

Thanks in advance!

VG
Old 09-15-2002, 03:53 PM
jreiter

These silly Bose auto-eq and auto-volume functions are a bane to Bose-owners in many brands of cars everywhere. It's good to know that z461 figured it out during his install. Thankfully those features in my Audi's Bose system can be disabled from my headunit via a "secret" menu accessed by holding down the "5" button and turning on the power.

There are actually quite a few secret menus in my Audi's factory headunit... I wonder if the Z's headunit has similar hidden functions and settings. (?) Someone out there who has gotten their Z should give it a shot. Try holding down various buttons (one at a time) while turning on the power. I think I have at least 5 secret menus on my Audi headunit, including all sorts of neat functions and displays. (Heck, even the climate control has a bunch of hidden functions, including the ability to use the climate control display to show all sorts of various engine parameters such as rpm, vehicle speed, coolant and oil temps, etc.)

But as far as the Z's Bose system basically just using the factory headunit and adding on seperate amps, this is pretty normal for Bose stuff. In the Audi's, the Bose system does indeed just use the stock headunit, and even the stock speakers in many cases. They just add in an amp or two, and some EQ functionality built into the amp(s). It does sound a bit better than the non-Bose option, but still not very good. Not worth the money in my opinion, especially if you'll be doing your own custom system!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:49 PM
Grey Matter

So, where is the microphone? Can it be covered up or cut the line?
Old 09-15-2002, 08:16 PM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by VaGentleman
From z461's thread about the complete audio system install, it appears that the auto-eq/auto-volume crap is located in the amp.

Thus, the following questions:

1) how many amplifier units (i.e., physical units) does the Touring Bose system have and where is it/are they located?

2) since the source of the auto-eq/auto-volume problem is in the amp, will not replacing just the amp rectify the problem??

3) was it necessary to replace the stock sub or was that just personal preference???

I have not yet received my car (hopefully the 25th??) and it is for this type of issue I so appreciate this site and it's members!!

I would appreciate any information that can be given.

Thanks in advance!

VG
Just reposting in case people missed my questions.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:00 PM
z461

VaGentleman, here are the answers:

1. There are two amps, one for the sub and one for the speakers, they are both located in the rear hatch area, one closer to the rear of the car and one closer to the middle of the car

2. Yes, just changing the amp will more than likely solve your problems. However, I figured i'd go ahead and do a full stereo install while I was at it...

3. The stock sub is sort of muddy and gives too much boom IMO, however I will assume it sounds better once the auto-eq and auto-volume functions are removed (along with the stock amps). I changed it because I wanted more solid and less boomy bass. I guess the fact that i'm an audiophile dictated this, otherwise, the stock sub --like the stock speakers, will probably sound just fine with an aftermarket amp powering them.

Hope this helps

On another note, could some moderator un-ban my IP? My screenname used to be Cali_Chris-- some of you remember me as the guy who didn't like how the passengers sit so low in the car. I finally bought the car, but its a pain in the *** to get onto the site because my home IP's are banned and I have to use Proxy IP's.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:48 PM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by z461
VaGentleman, here are the answers:

1. There are two amps, one for the sub and one for the speakers, they are both located in the rear hatch area, one closer to the rear of the car and one closer to the middle of the car

2. Yes, just changing the amp will more than likely solve your problems. However, I figured i'd go ahead and do a full stereo install while I was at it...

3. The stock sub is sort of muddy and gives too much boom IMO, however I will assume it sounds better once the auto-eq and auto-volume functions are removed (along with the stock amps). I changed it because I wanted more solid and less boomy bass. I guess the fact that i'm an audiophile dictated this, otherwise, the stock sub --like the stock speakers, will probably sound just fine with an aftermarket amp powering them.

Hope this helps

On another note, could some moderator un-ban my IP? My screenname used to be Cali_Chris-- some of you remember me as the guy who didn't like how the passengers sit so low in the car. I finally bought the car, but its a pain in the *** to get onto the site because my home IP's are banned and I have to use Proxy IP's.
Thank you VERY much z461!!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:00 AM
roberto350z

I dunno cali.... what happened to cause all of this? did you rub your Z and say hail mary? Well then! I think it would be ok.

BUT, I wasnt insulted by whatever happened, so its not up to me.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:06 PM
SnoopyZ

Hey z461... can you even add aftermarket amps to the Bose system? Basically keep everything just add say an Alpine 5 channel amp? Would that work, cuz I thought the Bose needed everything to stay "BOSE"... But if what you say is true... that sounds pretty good... Cause then I could just get a 5 channel amp to hopefully properlly power all the Bose speakers including the sub...
Old 09-16-2002, 12:35 PM
roberto350z

Originally posted by SnoopyZ
Hey z461... can you even add aftermarket amps to the Bose system? Basically keep everything just add say an Alpine 5 channel amp? Would that work, cuz I thought the Bose needed everything to stay "BOSE"... But if what you say is true... that sounds pretty good... Cause then I could just get a 5 channel amp to hopefully properlly power all the Bose speakers including the sub...

........which consequently is making the bose system in my opnion the BEST system to modify overall. All the wiring is there, and you only need to remove and replace the amps, then maybe the sub later, then speakers even later then rears then headunit.....

Quick Reply: Stereo install -- pics and all!! (Fixed links)