Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stereo install -- pics and all!! (Fixed links)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 12:46 PM
SnoopyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the specifications of the Bose speakers? Just wondering what Alpine amp would power it. Are the Bose speakers the same as the non-Bose speakers? I am beginning to think the only thing Bose in this Bose system is this AMP + Sub + Auto eQ BS...
Old 09-16-2002, 03:26 PM
VaGentleman

I talked to a Bose repair outfit in Coco Beach Florida..it seems that the Clarion head unit powers the dash units a 20W x2. There are 2 amps...1 that powers the sub @ 100W and the other amp powers the remaing speakers @ 50W x 4. Seems like getting a 5 channel amp w/ a proper adapter (??MTX 5400X) will do nicely...1 channel going 100W to sub and the other 4 channels @ 50W x 4.

VG
Old 09-16-2002, 04:36 PM
ATL350Z

Ah, the madness begins...

This is good information. Just knowing the location of the stock amps is important. Does anyone know which amp is in the rear and which one is mounted in the midsection? I started to remove the rear amp to take it into the lab, but ran out of time. It is going to require at least the removal of the left rear and rear hatch plastic panels before the foam holder is removed. There is a post at the back of the foam that sticks up into the foam and will probably require a "straight-up" removal as you can not slide the piece.

I haven't tried removing the glove box to get to the other amp. Maybe tomorrow night I will try that one as well.

Has anyone else noticed the suspicious small wire running from the vicinity of the rear stock amp? It doesn't have a wire loom and is visible when you just remove the trunk mat and trunk floor board. Anyone know what it is? Does the non-bose system have this wire? It seems to be going higher up in the center piece than the other wires.

By the way, z461, since you removed your stock amps already do you think you could post some closeup pictures of the amps and any markings they may have?
Old 09-16-2002, 06:23 PM
ATL350Z

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought about those wires going to the mic, but with the sub amp in the rear that would mean the wire I am referring to is a sub microphone. That also implies that there would also be a microphone for the full-range amp if in fact the sub amp were just in addition to and not in series with the full-range amp.

Let me clarify that one. If the sub amp were just pulling off the rear channel then two microphones would be necessary. It would seem to be more practical that the full-range amp would instead filter and pass the signal on to the sub amp so that the auto-eq/auto-level stuff would only have to be included in one place.

As we start to pull apart this system one of the questions that will have to be answered is whether there are two mics or if there is communication/signalling between the amps.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:53 PM
SunsetZ

I don't know that a microphone is even part of the equation. I have been sitting at a light for over a minute and still had this EQ or Auto Volume deal changing the sound level. This is with; no change in noise level in vehicle; zero vehicle speed; and zero engine speed change.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:56 PM
z461

I will take a picture of the amps when I can. I'll also ask the stereo install shop owner what he thinks of the stock setup (As to how it works). He has been doing stereos for over 15 years so he should know what's going on..
Old 09-17-2002, 03:19 AM
ATL350Z

Default Re: Don't cut suspicious small wire

Originally posted by gcinfl

Don't cut that suspicious wire--it's the antenna wire!
Yikes. I would not have expected that wire to go between the antenna and the HU because of its placement, but maybe they were trying to isolate it from other signal paths. It wasn't even a coax wire I believe...

So, is it possible that what happens is that when they add a Bose unit they just add the rear amplifier and the sub? Maybe the leads for the full-range amp pass through the rear compartment and if Bose is not installed then they just have a jumper to continue the signals? I guess someone with a non-Bose would have to look in their rear compartment. I can't imagine them using different wiring harnesses for the two cases, but they might.

Either way, it looks like the auto-EQ could be confined to the sub amp. Like you said, either this amp sends a signal back to the HU to change volume and EQ there, or auto-EQs at the amp level and passes the resultant signal to the full-range amp.

I'm going to explore a little more tonight to see what I can come up with. I agree this would be a lot easier with a wiring diagram, but given enough time we might be able to make one.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:18 AM
pluckyduck

what we really need is a custom wiring harness to connect to the stock 20 conductor harness that has each wire labeled. Just like the harnesses for installing aftermarket head units. This would be so cool and make replacing the amps a snap.

-Plucky
Old 09-17-2002, 11:14 AM
jreiter

Very interesting to read! I'm glad to see some fellow audio enthusiasts going at it to figure out the inner workings of this system.

Gcinfl, you wondered how the non-Bose functions in comparison to the Bose system. In my Audi, the headunits for the Bose and non-Bose systems are identical. The Bose system only adds on a small (very cheap) amp and sub. There is no auto-eq function, but the auto-volume function is done within the headunit.

For what it's worth, you might be able to go to Bose's website and see if they have any info on that specific version. I looked there a couple years ago when debating the Bose system when buying my Audi. I don't think it had tremendous amounts of info, but it might have something helpful.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:47 AM
rai

was that the total price ($2300) for the parts and instillation?
Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 PM
SunsetZ

Keep up the good work guys. I am still praying that a solution can be found that does not involve buying and installing a new amp. If someone on this site finds the fix before Nissan or Bose, that would be impressive!
Old 09-17-2002, 07:43 PM
danringer

Default CDG and MA modes?

Hope this helps. Played with the "secret" power-up buttons a little more and still haven't figured out how to make it do anything once you get it into the "MA" or "CHG" modes. Need help!!
I pushed all the combos I could think of, including the above. Before I was exploring the "audio" button used to beep, kinda annoying like, but now it has no tone, just cycles through bass, treble, balance and fade, quietly.

I like it better, but I can figure out how I did it, or how to set it back. Throughout all the guessing, I never found any additional displays besides the MA or CHG.

-thanks,
Old 09-17-2002, 07:50 PM
nizl

This shows the Bose amp still connected to its mounting bracket and turned upside down.
Man what a pitiful excuse for an "amp".

Quick Reply: Stereo install -- pics and all!! (Fixed links)