2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Diego Dealer Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 07:17 AM
stevew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question San Diego Dealer Recommendations?

I hope to buy / order a Z in January after the family car is paid off. Anybody have a good buying experience in San Diego and have a dealer that they would recommend?
Old 09-14-2002, 01:56 PM
stevew

anybody?
Old 09-14-2002, 03:07 PM
importriders

None, they are all horrible. I went to them to put a deposit on a Z and they all said pretty much the same thing, good luck. I went to Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa to put my deposit. This is a deposit on after pre-order cars, not a pre-order car. I've noticed that in San Diego, if you look young or like you can't afford it they don't help you, but in LA things are different. Just an opinion based on my experiences trying to buy a Z.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:17 PM
chromesilver909

You might try Temecula Nissan. I've never purchased a car there, but the sales guys are always very cool. The service dept. is pretty good too.

-P
Old 09-14-2002, 04:08 PM
sab

Try Mossy Nissan in Escondido. They were great to me. Ask for Geoff. Tell him Stan sent you. Silver Touring. Love the car.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:38 PM
roberto350z

actually. San diego is dominated by Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa, national city, el cajon, escondido) and they are very acceptable to deal with. They will never rip you off, add crap to your bill, raise over MSRP or lie. BUT, they are not devoid of misinformed sales people who may by adding typical sales ********. These few types of sales people are not lying, they are just mostly stupid and didnt bother to read one $@$#@ thing about the product that is responsible for their salary.

Overall, they have been a pleasure to work worth and will do business again.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:23 PM
LowFuel

There's two salesmen from Mossy El Cajon that read this forum, and both seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Give Todd a call there.
Also head down there tomorrow morning, they are having a Z club gathering and some of us will have our 350'z there.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:34 PM
ganz

I also suggest you give Todd or Jake a call at Mossy El Cajon. They were really helpful and courteous. No markups. I think they are known as 350zsales and zsalesman on this board.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:25 AM
stevew

That's everyone, that's helpful!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:41 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

Being a Todd customer at Mossy El Cajon, I have to disagree. Maybe he is more helpful with someone who isn't a preorder customer, or maybe it's just me. I got a call from a person at NNA a couple of weeks ago with my ETA of 10/7. I had emailed NNA about trying to get my order number a while back since Mossy hadn't given me any information and people who ordered well after I had (ordered 1/22) were given order numbers by their dealers. So, now I have a contact there who actually calls me with info.

So, knowing my order now has an ETA, I call Todd up last week to see if he has any updates. First, he asks me if I could call him back in twenty minutes or so, as he was currently busy. Didn't understand why he couldn't call me when he was done, but said sure. I waited about an hour, as I got busy myself and wanted to give him a chance to get the info, and he tells me he got busy and forgot to talk to the manager about my order. That pissed me off, but he said he would call me back in about five minutes. He called me back in three minutes, only to tell me there was no new info. I can't imagine that in that short time he was able to do anything other than look in my file and see nothing new in there.

Then, I ask him if we could at least crunch the numbers so I could start the financing process. He said it was a little premature to do so, as they didn't have any info on my order. I said, we know the price, I want to add lo-jack and was thinking about one of the extended warranty deals since it's a first year car. He gives me a price for the lo-jack ($495) and a price for the most expensive warranty ($1,700), but doesn't know the prices for any of the cheaper ones.

All in all, I'm pretty frustrated with my Mossy El Cajon experience. I read other posts about dealers calling customers to give them updates, but I get nothing. Even when I know there's an update to my order, I get nothing.

But, I guess once I actually take delivery, none of this will matter. And, like Roberto said, they're not lying or cheating, they're just not overly informed. I suppose Todd is busy with other things, but it would be nice to get a little attention, especially when my wait has nearly reached the eight month mark.

Todd, if you see this, sorry buddy, but you've been incredibly frustrating to deal with.

Dave
Old 09-16-2002, 09:55 AM
ganz

gibbsy,

When you called NNA, what information did you have to give them to find out an ETA? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:39 AM
roberto350z

you know. I never dealt with a salesman at Mossy. After 2 secs with Bruce (the guy who wrote me up) I knew that he knew NOTHING. I skipped straight to the General Sales manager. I called him plenty of times, bugged him and told him to just LOOK at the faxes. He did once, and I got "nope, your Z isnt in out inventory." Well no ****...

After a couple of tries, I had to track down the inventory manager (I was a squeeky wheel, so he emailed ME) and I finally got an order number this month. If you remember correctly, most poeples dealers called them with an order number LAST month.

so... i dont really know whats up. They ARE the busiest dealer around, and red tape is usually affiliated with a stratified business model. Mom and pop can talk to you personally, but the down side to them is that they can give you shaft at the last moment. (which is probably why some of these crooked dealers arent a big company like mossy. They just cant get a customer base)

I just hope that Mossy can come up with some sort of consilation gift when I pick up my car, cuz I was my OWN ****ING SALESMAN!
Old 09-16-2002, 11:39 AM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

ganz-

I didn't call NNA's customer service, I emailed the guy that was listed at the bottom of the pre-order form. My message was passed on to Ivy (not sure of her last name) who called me the next day. She has been incredibly helpful and has given me information that my dealer hasn't.

If you have a copy of your preorder sheet, I would email the guy listed and hopefully the message gets passed on to someone who can help. I gave him my name, order date, dealership I ordered from, and what I ordered.

roberto-

I hear ya about being your own salesman. I tried asking for sales managers and inventory managers originally, but never seemed to get to far. I guess I should call Dave Talman again, as he was somewhat helpful before. I figured if I kept in contact with my "salesman", let him know who I am, show him I'm interested in my order, he'd throw me a bone and help me out. But, they are a high volume dealership and I guess it's not unusual that the salesstaff would focus on trying to make current sales.

I'm not holding my breath for getting anything from them at delivery. I don't see a "Lust, Then Love" book or a keychain in our future.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:57 AM
ganz

thanks, gibbsy. I took over a June preorder. My salesman believes that it is coming between late Sept. and middle Oct. but I don't have an order number. Does that sound right (since you ordered in 1/22 and have a delivery of 10/7)? I guess I'm going to be really anxious until I get a cold hard order number in my hand.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:31 PM
nizl

I think Mossy in Kearny Mesa is honest, which is good, but they also have never had nor will ever have decent info.

My salesman literally told me that they don't know if it's my car until it arrives at the dealership and they check the VIN.

I mentioned the supposed update faxes and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Hopefully NNA will learn from the information flow disaster that is the preorder "program".
Old 09-16-2002, 07:34 PM
roberto350z

well ****in A... this is what I mean about mossy. If they really wanted to be a great dealer, then they would have noticed that I wasnt going to receive my pre-order until November (even though I ordered in Jan.) and given me the opportunity to claim the cancelled pre-order for Sept. Ganz, no offense, but do you see why I would be bitter cuz you justed walked right in in June and got a car? You know what...Im not even coming back here until I get my car...this is nerve wrecking

Z-ya
Old 09-20-2002, 09:53 PM
zsalesman

Default Please try to understand

First of all, I appreciate everyone's business and response on the web site, but you have to understand that selling Z cars is not my only job. I have many other responsibilities besides selling Z cars. This does not mean I am trying to neglect you, but you have to understand that Nissan only gives us limited information. I have told everyone that has called me numerous times and asked the same questions time after time, that when I get the information I will let them know. Many of you seem to think that I am directly responsible for when your car is delivered, this is not the case (I wish it was). I will call you as soon I get any more info. Does that sound familiar.

Thank you
Todd
Old 09-20-2002, 11:53 PM
ganz

rpgonz - Yes, I think it would only be fair to give early orders first stab at cancels. But from the dealers end, it is not cost effective for them to trade one Z cancellation for another. Everyone's gotta wait - and there is no guarantee that I will even see the car in Sept/Oct/Nov since I don't have an order number. Is your pre-order refundable? And I don't think that you just drop out from the forum ... heck, how will you deal with the my350z.com withdrawals? Those two day outages were enough to make me poke my eye.

Todd/zsalesman - Check your PM. Thanks.