Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do I have to unlock the door everytime I get out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013 | 10:34 AM
puck77

My 03 auto-locks and auto-unlocks when I shut the engine off. There is a little delay that took some getting used to but it always auto-unlocks. I figured that it was factory that way. Did you try looking in the owner's manual? Other cars that I have had with auto lock let you set it to auto lock or not with some goofy button sequence. I never looked into it on the Z though. Whether it's factory or not, I would think something isn't working right if it won't auto-unlock when you shut it down.
Old 09-23-2013 | 11:01 AM
superstuddc27

Originally Posted by puck77
My 03 auto-locks and auto-unlocks when I shut the engine off. There is a little delay that took some getting used to but it always auto-unlocks. I figured that it was factory that way. Did you try looking in the owner's manual? Other cars that I have had with auto lock let you set it to auto lock or not with some goofy button sequence. I never looked into it on the Z though. Whether it's factory or not, I would think something isn't working right if it won't auto-unlock when you shut it down.
Yeah it could be an aftermarket alarm because the seller did mention something about doing an alarm even though the keyless looks just like the OEM fob and it makes zero noise whatsoever but could be a setting.

Yeah it's real annoying that I start driving and when I get to my destination I go to open the door, LOCKED. Gotta unlock every time.

This kind of stuff isn't exactly common sense or WIDELY known whether you're a noob or not. It's a very specific question for a very specific behavior that uses a lot of general and broad keywords like door, open, unlock, start. In that case it's better to just ask and have someone tell you the answer in about 10 seconds flat.
Especially when it comes to features or things that COULD seem to be stock but also could be aftermarket. When buying used that's something you gotta deal with I guess.
Or I could buy another Z and see if it does the same thing but what's the point when I got meself a keyboard and this forum
Old 09-24-2013 | 06:10 AM
Callmetony

We're all on the same team here
Old 09-26-2013 | 07:42 PM
DaveInPHX

Best guess on this one, some alarm systems provide the "door locking" feature, but http://www.kptechnologies.com has a specific mod just to do this (and several other mods also) - might be worth checking out, at least you would know what you are looking for!
Old 09-26-2013 | 08:00 PM
RMichael

I don't like this.
Old 09-27-2013 | 01:10 AM
superstuddc27

Originally Posted by DaveInPHX
Best guess on this one, some alarm systems provide the "door locking" feature, but http://www.kptechnologies.com has a specific mod just to do this (and several other mods also) - might be worth checking out, at least you would know what you are looking for!
Thanks, I just tore up the center console to fix the cubby door. I'm going to snoop around for the alarm system and see if I can change the settings.