Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 350z extra HP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Seeva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 350z extra HP?

First all of, I want to say: I'm sure there are HUNDREDS of these threads out there. I wanted to start one so I could ask questions, particularly because some of these type of threads are dead. I just wanted a new discussion!

So I'm a first time Z owner. I own a Metallic Blue (Code B17) 2004 350z Touring. I've had it for a few weeks, it's got 80k miles on it, in perfect shape on the inside, and 8/10 in the paint. Just for the record it's probably 10/10 for most people, but I'm stupidly picky on perfection .

I'm absolutely in love with it, it dominates my thoughts and my dreams, sadly. I have a list a mile long of cosmetic things I'm ordering, but as for some extra horsepower, I'm still unsure.

What I'm looking for is to maximize my HP to dollar ratio. I don't want to spend X amount on, say, a cold air intake, when I could take that X amount and buy something for the same price that will provide more performance.

My price range is $100-500 on individual parts. I say $100, not 0, because I'm not looking for tips and tricks that will give me 1HP here, and 3HP there, AT THE MOMENT.

I did see a few chips out there that promise 50 - 60 HP for about $100, thoughts on those? Best ones to look into? Anything you guys think is the best bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated. I have my ideas, but this is my first Z, so I would rather get the facts from people who have been there done that!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Keep reading about the Z
Old 09-30-2013, 12:13 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

These questions are far from dead. Someone posts a thread identical to yours every week. Try searching.

Side note: I hope you're not going with the published crank "287" hp for your DE Z, true whp may be heavily disappointing to your goals.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 PM
GreyZ33Track

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Save your $$ for F/I
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
IDrm350

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Chips that add 50-60 HP?!?! This car doesn't have a "chip" that you can just swap in. Also, you won't get 50-60 HP out of ANY mod(s) (even if you add them all up) unless you get turbos or a supercharger. And no, I don't mean the eBay leaf blower ones. Multiply you $500 budget by ten, then you'll be close.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Seeva

Lmao. That's what I want to do. Waste 8 grand for a turbo on a 10 year old car. GOOD TALK BUDDY. You misread anyway, 500 isn't my budget, PER PART PRICEx4. I plan on owning the car for about a year to commute in a fun way. Most of what I'm doing is for resale, as I own it outright. This is something for my enjoyment while I own it. If you don't have an answer regarding parts, then don't post directed towards me.

Any who, I will go search because it's easier than getting an individual response, but having to weed through the trolls for days. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:35 PM
pyshin

Originally Posted by Seeva
Lmao. That's what I want to do. Waste 8 grand for a turbo on a 10 year old car. GOOD TALK BUDDY. You misread anyway, 500 isn't my budget, PER PART PRICEx4. I plan on owning the car for about a year to commute in a fun way. Most of what I'm doing is for resale, as I own it outright. This is something for my enjoyment while I own it. If you don't have an answer regarding parts, then don't post directed towards me.
When did you state that the budget was "per part price x 4"?

Also, nice conflicting statements dipsh!t

You really don't realize that a stock car is the best for resale value?

Or is it really for your own enjoyment (after saying you're doing modifications for resale) in which case spending the amount of money you have budgeted for your Z will frustrate you more with the minimal gains you'll receive

Good luck trying to tell people what/when to post on a public forum

But yeah, good talk buddy. Way to prove that you're just another idiot starting a useless thread without doing proper research. You should get that chip for sure, you obviously know what you're talking about.

Last edited by pyshin; 09-30-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added Sloth Titanic.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I want that chip, screw UpRev , that chip will add much more HP
Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM
pyshin

A couple of Nissan SR20's would pull a premium one week before race wars.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

will full bolt ons and tune (hr engine) i put down 286, pre tune dyno 264.

exhaust is full motorydne (ART & TDX2) - approx 2100
takeda intakes - about 300
uprev tune and retune - 900

so if there is a chip that produces those results show me where to buy i would at least double what i gained with 2400 in parts, and tuning. hate to break it to ya but, what you are saying doesnt exist
Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM
travlee
Master

Any who, I will go search because it's easier than getting an individual response, but having to weed through the trolls for days. Thanks!
if you are only keeping it for a year, dont mod it...you wont get the money back that you are putting into it
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In most cases, modifications the car would either cause the value to reduce or stay the same. It will rarely increase the resale value (dependent on mods)
Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Calidank223

Get yourself a Performance Turbo Air Intake Supercharger Fan Turbonator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Turbo-Air-Intake-Supercharger-Fan-Turbonator-Gas-Saver-for-Nissan-/271281528924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item3f29a3a05c&vxp=mtr
10HP bro
Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Zmandriving

First all of, I want to say: I'm sure there are HUNDREDS of these threads out there. I wanted to start one so I could ask questions, particularly because some of these type of threads are dead. I just wanted a new discussion!

So I'm a first time Z owner. I own a Metallic Blue (Code B17) 2004 350z Touring. I've had it for a few weeks, it's got 80k miles on it, in perfect shape on the inside, and 8/10 in the paint. Just for the record it's probably 10/10 for most people, but I'm stupidly picky on perfection .

I'm absolutely in love with it, it dominates my thoughts and my dreams, sadly. I have a list a mile long of cosmetic things I'm ordering, but as for some extra horsepower, I'm still unsure.

What I'm looking for is to maximize my HP to dollar ratio. I don't want to spend X amount on, say, a cold air intake, when I could take that X amount and buy something for the same price that will provide more performance.

My price range is $100-500 on individual parts. I say $100, not 0, because I'm not looking for tips and tricks that will give me 1HP here, and 3HP there, AT THE MOMENT.

I did see a few chips out there that promise 50 - 60 HP for about $100, thoughts on those? Best ones to look into? Anything you guys think is the best bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated. I have my ideas, but this is my first Z, so I would rather get the facts from people who have been there done that!

$100-500 isn't that much. Probably go and get your car tuned would be the most beneficial. There is no exhaust you could get with $500, but you would need to get a tune to see any benefits of exhaust. You could probably get test pipes for cheap used and then pay a little extra for a tune.
So if you could come up with about $650 you could get your car tuned and test pipe installed. That would be my go if I were in your shoes, but dont throw out your old cats if you are going to resell car in a year.

Last edited by Zmandriving; 09-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 PM
stuartc323

As someone who works in Economics and Finance, i have a couple of questions for your retarded *** purchase.

1. Why did you buy a Z to only commute for a year and resale it?

2. Why are you planning to mod the car if your reselling?

3. Why are you asking for opinions on your purchase, than shiiting on them when they answer you?

4. Why didnt you research the car you planned to spend money on to see if it would fit your supposed resale plans so you can cover the money you invested and make profit?

5. You do realize that driving it around for a year and modding the car isnt going to do much for this car in terms of resale?

Your whole posts sounds dumb as shiit, just like the dumbass financial move you made. Could have bought a civic and banked the rest but no i have to look cool in Tucson, Arizona, where no one lives. Great post op

Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
nextcore

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

damn guys, talk about flaming the newby!! lol

Anyway OP, on a realistic note you're not going to get decent quality parts on the "budget-per-part" you're working with.

Power wise, if you dont plan on going F/I, for the DE you're really just limited to a few bolt-ons (plenum-spacers, intake, high-flow cats/test pipes/etc, and exhaust) and a tune (because there is no such thing as chipping for our cars, this isn't an audi or volkswagon). And you're not going to get that much power. a 15 min research will answer most of your questions regarding this.

and trust me.. you will but only get a fraction of the money you dumped into modding your car back..

so if you plan on selling your in a year.. just keep it stock.. it's fun and great car as is. And will hold it's resale value better that way.

don't go and dump crappy 100-500 dollar ebay/autozone crap into your car.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM
travlee
Master

flaming, nah.... i think of it as being brutally honest
Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Squag27

I guess I'll be the nice guy on here. I have an '04 and did an intake, Motordyne 5/16 spacer, and hr motor y-pipe for under $500. All that is relatively easy to do and will give you a noticeable, if not great increase in power. If you want to spend a bit more you could get some test pipes or high flow cats and that'll give you a bit more too. I recently got a pair of Kinetix HFCs myself.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Jonnoh

youre a teen who thinks he can talk with the big boys

I dont like most of these guys, but you much less
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Jcrisp

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I want that chip, screw UpRev , that chip will add much more HP
+1 cheap way out is the best way out lol

Quick Reply: 2004 350z extra HP?