2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody know what this sound is?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 AM
BaddassZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Does anybody know what this sound is?

Is this rod knock? Should I just ignore it? Car runs fine. Just this damn knocking sound at idle. Any insight would be helpful.
07' 350z 106K miles.

Last edited by BaddassZ; 03-08-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like it to me. Can you take a video with the hood up and camera looking into the engine bay?

how much oil is in the motor, has the been any leaks Or consumption?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 AM
BaddassZ

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Sounds like it to me. Can you take a video with the hood up and camera looking into the engine bay?

how much oil is in the motor, has the been any leaks Or consumption?
Yeah I'll try taking a vid with the hood open later tonight. I really hope it's not cause I just bought this car for $13.5 from a dealer. Really didn't want to panic sell the car.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:08 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by BaddassZ
Yeah I'll try taking a vid with the hood open later tonight. I really hope it's not cause I just bought this car for $13.5 from a dealer. Really didn't want to panic sell the car.
How soon ago did you purchase it? In many states it could qualify under a lemon law.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:13 AM
BaddassZ

How soon ago did you purchase it? In many states it could qualify under a lemon law.
It was mid January. I still even have my NJ temps. The dealer, Edison Nissan, was horrible and are not willing to work with me at all. I can do a charge back on my Credit Card though (Yes, I paid for the car on my Credit Card).
Old 03-08-2015, 08:15 AM
BaddassZ

Just did some quick researching. I believe the law doesn't apply to me because the car was sold to me with over 100K. I know getting a 100K mile car was prob a bad idea...
Old 03-08-2015, 08:32 AM
oldschool350z

Just did some quick researching. I believe the law doesn't apply to me because the car was sold to me with over 100K. I know getting a 100K mile car was prob a bad idea...
Sorry to hear that. It varies state to state but you could be correct on it not applying to vehicLes with that miles.

You could try to get a lawyer involved
Old 03-08-2015, 08:38 AM
BaddassZ

Sorry to hear that. It varies state to state but you could be correct on it not applying to vehicLes with that miles.

You could try to get a lawyer involved
No, not worth it after all the money invested than to just sell it. Anybody have a more optimistic diagnosis?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

If it was me I'd take it to a 3rd party private mechanic if not a few 3rd party mechanics and have them verify the true problem...have each mechanic put together a quick quote on what it'll take to get it fixed. Save up cash and get it fixed once it truely becomes a bigger problem - at that point once the repair is made you've got a pretty sweet 2007 HR 350z with a rebuilt engine that'll go for another 200k miles.

a cell phone video over the internet played through laptop speakers isnt going to diagnose much...

But, with that being said the car is yours - I doubt youre gonna be able to return it but I don't know enough about used-car law and shame on you for financing a car with a credit card ... I would throw stones but I've done plenty of dumb financial things too! So, do your absolute best to get it paid off as quickly as you can.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:26 AM
BaddassZ

Originally Posted by bealljk
If it was me I'd take it to a 3rd party private mechanic if not a few 3rd party mechanics and have them verify the true problem...have each mechanic put together a quick quote on what it'll take to get it fixed. Save up cash and get it fixed once it truely becomes a bigger problem - at that point once the repair is made you've got a pretty sweet 2007 HR 350z with a rebuilt engine that'll go for another 200k miles.

a cell phone video over the internet played through laptop speakers isnt going to diagnose much...

But, with that being said the car is yours - I doubt youre gonna be able to return it but I don't know enough about used-car law and shame on you for financing a car with a credit card ... I would throw stones but I've done plenty of dumb financial things too! So, do your absolute best to get it paid off as quickly as you can.
What are u talking about? I paid it off at the end of the statement in full. Not paying 30% interest... What are u crazy lol.
Back to the car. I don't hear it in the car or while accelerating. I'm trying to tell myself it's nothing. This was a new car dealer bought car. You'd think they check for this stuff, right. Stay away from Edison Nissan.

Last edited by BaddassZ; 03-08-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:36 AM
oldschool350z

What are u talked ng about? I paid it off at the end of the statement in full. Not paying 30% interest... What are u crazy lol.
Back to the car. I don't hear it in the car or while accelerating. I'm trying to tell myself it's nothing. This was a new car dealer bought car. You'd think they check for this stuff, right. Stay away from Edison Nissan.
Sometimes dealers will sell vehicles as "pre auction" or "value cars" and disclose what issues they think are present. Either way I would submit a complaint to bbb, Google reviews and dealer rater. They do not stand by what they sell and unless you misshifted rod knock will not appear out of nowhere (unless low on oil).

Have a third party verify and get estimates then go back to the dealer.

In regard to intrest and credit cards it's your call, unless you had a I'm on your card is see no reason why you wouldn't take out a loan but then again many banks would not provide one due to the mileage.

Personally you should have went for a vq with high miles for about $8,000.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 03-08-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 AM
BaddassZ

Yeah. If anybody thinks it's anything less serious, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by BaddassZ; 03-08-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:32 PM
oldschool350z

Yeah. If anybody thinks it's anything less serious, I'd love to hear it.
BAsed on the sound no. Plus the speakers can distort the sound at times you need to get it checked out by a mechanic. I would not ignore it.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:34 PM
LiVn_It_UP

Originally Posted by bealljk

Another 200k???

It barely made it 100k
Old 03-08-2015, 02:35 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It could be that the video is not picking up the sound- but I don't really hear rod knock.

Are you sure it couldn't be an exhaust heat shield rattling/vibrating or something? I had rod knock in my SE-R, and even when it very first started (yes, it got worse and worse), it was still louder than that.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100k and it rod knocks is rare unless whoever had it before water logged it... Does it have a cold air intake? Or it was ran with no oil... 100k isn't nothing
Old 03-08-2015, 02:58 PM
FairladyBlue

drain the oil and look for metal..
Old 03-08-2015, 07:39 PM
BaddassZ

Default 07' 350z Engine Knock? Part 2.

Ok. I shot another video on my way home from work tonight. The sound is more prominent and the hood is opened. I'm actually starting to NOT think it's rod knock. It usually does it after warming up/short drive and it I can't hear it in the cabin while I accelerate. Starting to think it's just one of those sounds you have to put up with with a 100K+ used sports car.
Any more insight would be helpful!

Last edited by BaddassZ; 03-08-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:15 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The sound is still present when the clutch is pressed in at idle right?

I heard it a little better in this video... it does sound like rod knock....
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 PM
BaddassZ

Originally Posted by n0smoke
The sound is still present when the clutch is pressed in at idle right?

I heard it a little better in this video... it does sound like rod knock....
It's a auto. Car was in Park. But doesn't rod knock always occur? Not just after a warm up. It also does not become audible as I accelerate.

Quick Reply: Does anybody know what this sound is?