Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:21 AM
gt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this picture on another site. Supposedly this is from a British Z and the controls are for cell phone. I would really adapt these buttons to control my aftermarket radio. Since the Infiniti FX also has similar control buttons and share basically the same wheel, I wonder if we can order just these parts (not the whole steering wheel) and modify it to control the radio on the Z...Anyone with the mechanical know-how to do this???
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel controls-zwheel.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 01:37 AM
veilside z

The photo above is from a UK 350Z...

The Top button controls the volume (Up/Down) of the Stereo or Cellphone (when in use)

The Middle Button is dual function - it initiates the Voice Activation for Dialling (either dictate the number, or say the stored name using "Dial Number" or "Dial Name" command) & also it is the Call Pick UP or End Function

The Lower Button allows you to change Stations (Search or Preset) or CD (Track or CD 1-6), both dependent on how long you hold the button.

Hope that helps
Old 02-16-2004, 06:11 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Actually, one of the Infiniti models that uses the same wheel has radio controls that don't include the cell stuff. If you figure out a way to make them work, let us know
Old 08-23-2004, 11:18 AM
vicious711

Default steering wheel remote

Actually there is a way to install steering wheel controls for the radio on the z. the cost is reasonable, i spent around a $120 for parts and labor. you have to order the switch for an infinit fx 35 because its the same exact fit for the z. you can go to the infiniti web site and look at the pictures. thats how i found out that the infiniti fx and the z use the same basic steering wheel. the only drawback is that you have to order both the cruise and radio switches because they are different shades of gray. both together will cost around $110 shipped.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:45 AM
KShep

Originally posted by gt3
I found this picture on another site. Supposedly this is from a British Z and the controls are for cell phone. I would really adapt these buttons to control my aftermarket radio. Since the Infiniti FX also has similar control buttons and share basically the same wheel, I wonder if we can order just these parts (not the whole steering wheel) and modify it to control the radio on the Z...Anyone with the mechanical know-how to do this???
Yes...a comprehensive DIY by gt3 here:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=77855