Sponsored by:

Supercharged Widebody 350z build

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Xenophon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged Widebody 350z build

Hello all,

Let me start off buy saying that the title is a very ambitious name for the build but it is my full intent to build make my z a supercharged, widebody track/weekend warrior in the shortest amount of time I can. While I have some experience building cars and have worked at a race shop for over a year, I am not an expert and will be learning my way through a couple things. Hopefully I can share a couple of tips and entertain a few people while I'm at it.

As I said before, I have built a couple cars. In highschool, I was very much interested in VW/Audi cars. I learned somethings while playing with them but during college I picked up my first rwd car and never looked back. Most of my time was spent with 90s cars which was nice because most of them are simple and relatively cheap to work on. Here are my last two builds:

Now that I have a legitimate job, its time for a big boy car which mean real money needs to be spent. So after selling my e30, I found this 350z for pretty cheap. It was in an accident so the paint was kinda shitty, it was missing a couple things, some stuff needed fixed but it was mind now and for a great price.

The day I brought it home.

Winter was pretty slow, between the holidays, moving, and a slow shop, I didnt have much money to play around. The only thing I really did besides collecting some parts is damaging my front bumper on a rather large iceball in the road.

So when spring came around, it was finally time to fix her up. The first thing I did was get rid of the 19s that came on the car and slap on this "MADD" front plate I stole from a buddy.

The next day my tuner lugs came so I threw them on, zipped up the front bumper and threw a train handle I've had laying around for month in the car.

Next thing was dealing with my shitty suspension. I ordered some BC racing coils from Enjuku and thank god I did because the suspension was worse than I thought.

3 out of 4 broken or bent

Coils going on:

After mounting and test driving, I have to say these are the best coils I have ever owned for the street. Extremely confortable but still really sturdy in the corners. Didn't have any rubbing issues except for the ground

Drove it slammed for a day to show off then raised it up for drivability.

Oh an I threw on a cheap ebay lip to look a little cooler till I could find a bumper.

Then I got thrown a curve ball, while driving to Cars and Coffee (A show in Bethlehem Pa) with a couple friends, one of them decided he didnt like my rear bumper and rear ended me. Some cut off our lead guy which lead to everyone slamming on their brakes and while the guy behind me stopped, the guy behind him didnt and the impact sent them both into me. At first, I didnt see much damage but then I saw the warp on my quarter panel.

Well, when life hands you lemons, go widebody.

Just picked up my wide front fenders from a guy in jersey.

And ordered some overfenders for the back from Crown Crafting and Carbon. I also ordered a kit from a place in cali. Should be getting this stuff next week sometime and hopefully getting it on asap.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck, it's coming along nicely.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Subbed. In for choo choo
Old 05-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Cookiezor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those front fenders, how wide r they? is there a name for them, or had it custom?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome and nice s13.... GL
Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

love that e30.. definitely subbing to this thread
Old 05-15-2015, 01:25 PM
RyankPeck

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sub'd for sure!
The 240 and e30 were sick!
Old 05-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Xenophon

Thanks for the kind words guys! Im glad you liked my previous builds, hopefully this one will be my best one yet.

Originally Posted by Z33Garage
Subbed. In for choo choo
Choo Choo cant come soon enough! Im toying around with how Id like to do it, while I've always wanted to try a root charger, Im thinking of going centrifugal. My hp goals are relatively modest, 350-400 horses. I'll be staying with the stock block so Ill probably be running 6psi out the gate.

Originally Posted by Cookiezor
those front fenders, how wide r they? is there a name for them, or had it custom?
I was told the fronts are 30mm wider than stock but it doesnt look like it, Ill have to see once I test fit them. As for brand, I'm not sure. I bought them off a guy who picked up a lot of parts for cheap and parted them out. Ill unwrap them tomorrow and get better pictures and a brand if they have one.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by Xenophon

I was told the fronts are 30mm wider than stock but it doesnt look like it, Ill have to see once I test fit them. As for brand, I'm not sure. I bought them off a guy who picked up a lot of parts for cheap and parted them out. Ill unwrap them tomorrow and get better pictures and a brand if they have one.
yeah man, definelty would much appreciate that. cause i've been looking ofr wide fenders abt 30mm. u ll be a lucky guy for having those hahhaa,nice thoo!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Xenophon

yeah man, definelty would much appreciate that. cause i've been looking ofr wide fenders abt 30mm. u ll be a lucky guy for having those hahhaa,nice thoo!!!
I only unwrapped one because they still need to be transported home but you can see how they look. I dont think these are as wide as claimed by the seller, if they are wider, it doesnt look like by much. Ill get an exact measurement when I test fit them this weekend. I also wasnt able to find a brand, only this part number. If they do end up being wider than stock, I think the seller might have another pair or two and I will get you guys in touch. Of course you'll have to worry about shipping but I got a good price and these are light because they are fiberglass.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Cookiezor

Originally Posted by Xenophon
I only unwrapped one because they still need to be transported home but you can see how they look. I dont think these are as wide as claimed by the seller, if they are wider, it doesnt look like by much. Ill get an exact measurement when I test fit them this weekend. I also wasnt able to find a brand, only this part number. If they do end up being wider than stock, I think the seller might have another pair or two and I will get you guys in touch. Of course you'll have to worry about shipping but I got a good price and these are light because they are fiberglass.
OK, ive looked, and found that these r VIS racing magnum fenders. but even on their site it does not say if they r any wider(
Old 05-16-2015, 08:08 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Widebody for the win!! I am eager to see how she will look!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:07 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Hey...I'll subscribe...

so no roots...that leaves you ATI Procharger and Vortech? What do you think you'll tune with?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:32 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the post updated with your project. Have you decided which S/C you are going to use? I have the vortech and it is excellent. I had started to go ATI Procharger, but after getting with ZCargarage here (CA) that does everything from basic to building race engines for Z's, G's, GTR's, etc., I switched.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Xenophon

Sorry guys it was a busy weekend, I did get a chance to test fit the fender but my phone was dead so no pictures. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem any wider so it looks like I'll be doing some bodywork!

I'm still toying with root vs centrifugal. I'm leaving towards a vortech because I've heard a lot of good things about it.

As for tuning, I'll be using the uprev for my initial build. While I only plan to be hitting 350-400hp, I'm sure after a season I'll be looking for more haha

I was able to get a cool shot or two of the z though so here is something to look at:

With one of my local z buddys
Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Xenophon

Default Huge Day!

I got a lot done in a short span of hours thanks to getting out of work early. Performance upgrades, body modification, paint, welding, the works.

Started the day off with a Plenum spacer. Found one for cheap online a couple of days ago and just got it yesterday

Slapped that ***** on and took it for a test drive. My *** dyno is reading a little pick up higher in the revs.

Right after I got back, I started pulling stuff of for my new fenders.

The one side fit nicely, the other not so much. My car was in an acident from the previous owner and you can tell when mounting stuff up. Nothing some work cant fix.

Then the moment I was waiting for, my overfenders got here!

I just want to say, the guys are Crown Carbon and Crafter are ****ing legends. Great prices, got the parts out same day I payed for them, and amazing customer service. The guy helped me out the whole way through the buying process and was answering my questions about mounting the overs even after my purchase. I plan on buying from these guys again and really suggest everyone else to do the same.

Then came the test fitting.

Overs fit perfect on the clean side, the pass side I had a little trouble with because of the damage on the quarter.

Now for the scetchy part, chopped the fender out so that I can fit my wheels better down the road.

We chopped the exterior of the car off and used the inner well to cover the whole. Bent them up and tacked them in place.
Tip: If someone else is doing overfenders and using this as a guild, Id like to make one suggestion: When using the inner well to fill the gap, trim more off the tabs you are bending up so that when you weld them they sit horizontally. It will allow for more clearance. Mine is fine and I dont see any issues with the way it went but just a suggestion for more clearance and piece of mind.

To fill the rest of the gap left, I used a silicon sealant. Expanding foam works too, just didnt have any on hand.

When chopping the drivers side I found something silly. A **** ton of bondo Probably the most bondo Ive seen on one of my cars, I sanded it off. Aint nobody got time for that much bondo.

While a friend finished welding and sealing, I installed the front fenders. I used some silver spray paint I had lying around for the time being. It worked quite nicely.

The final step, rivet on the overfender.
Tip: Make sure you can open your fuel door. I almost started riveting without checking, glad I did and moved it a little bit to ensure easy opening.

The finished product... well for now. Ill clean it up tomorrow and get better pictures but Im happy with how its turning out. Next up, aero and a paint job!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Cookiezor

few questions, why did u bend the remaining of the fender instead of just cutting that off. And also how much wider r those?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:49 PM
JoseValencia27

Damn, your nissan is looking majestic af
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 AM
Xenophon

few questions, why did u bend the remaining of the fender instead of just cutting that off. And also how much wider r those?
I wanted to use the remaining inner fender to cover the whole I made by cutting the outter fender off. I don't want water, dirt, or anything else getting up there. If I have any rubbing issues on that, I'll trim more off and use other metal to seal it.

Originally Posted by JoseValencia27
Damn, your nissan is looking majestic af
Thanks boss! I can't wait till she is all together
Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You should toss the stock front fenders back on. The vents on the VIS ones don't look good at all.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Widebody 350z build