Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put sandbags in the trunk!!!!!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:41 AM
ballz

Default Re: Winter Driving

Originally posted by bryan
Hey guys-

I'm looking to purchase a new car sometime in early '03, after the winter season passes (this is my first driving experience in the winter, as I just moved to the east coast). I am really impressed with the 350Z, but i'm curious as to how it ill drive during the winter months.

Please feel free to shout out your opinions and thoughts. A car that can be driven in the winter is imperative, as I do not want to buy two separate cars =)

Thanks!
Its gonna drive horribly. Rear wheel drive with lotsa torque, gonna be slippin and slidin all over the place..... I had a 300ZX and ended up in the snow once, bad experience... It wouldnt even move up the slightest hill
Old 09-17-2002, 09:45 AM
justwant1

I don't think the 350 will be as bad as the older Z's. With the VDC and TCS the call will handle much better in the snow. I still don't know if it will be good in the snow, since the tires aren't all season or winter tires, but better than previous years.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:48 AM
Bobg

Mastering control of your vehicle in snow and other winter driving conditions comes with learning proper driving techniques and with experience.Regardless of whether your vehicle is rear-wheel, front-wheel or all-wheel drive, the results of a loss of balance are the same. What you need to understand is where the bulk of your vehicle's weight resides and how your engine power can affect that weight. In a pickup, all the weight is in the front with the engine and the cab, so, with little weight over them, the rear wheels have tenuous grip and the back end can easily slip out. Likewise, a rear-wheel-drive, such as a Nissan 350Z has a lopsided power-to-weight ratio, so its back end is also prone to losing grip on slippery roads.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:20 AM
jasonintoronto

proper winter driving requires proper winter tires. not all seasons, not mud and snow tires, but winter ice and snow tires.

i own an all wheel drive car and four times zero is still zero. driving in winter, regardless of drivetrain, with summer performance tires is a bad idea.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:20 AM
mydogscool

Anybody who drives the 350 Z in the East coast winter weather, also please post what salvage yard the wrecked 350Z goes to. This is where most will go if driven in the snow. I will gladly scavenge your parts.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Ohio350z

With TCS and ABS you should be ok. I would recommend getting the Firestone Blizztracks. They have a unique soft rubber compound that I swear lets you get traction on ICE and SNOW. I stated this in an earlier post, but my parents each have the high powered rear wheel drive Infinity Q-45s and they both swear by those damm tires. My mom is a real estate agent and she is out there driving around all the time in deep snow and ice. I had a Toyota Supra and a Mitsubishi Starion in my early days and you just get used to a little sideway driving everyonce and a while. You just have to know how to double clutch when downshifting so that you don't throw the rear end out when you downshift to slowdown.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:41 AM
tbcz

Originally posted by mydogscool
Anybody who drives the 350 Z in the East coast winter weather, also please post what salvage yard the wrecked 350Z goes to. This is where most will go if driven in the snow. I will gladly scavenge your parts.
Now that's a bit extreme!

I've driven rear wheel drive sports cars (no beaters for winter either) for the last 11 years here outside Philly and have managed to stay out of the junkyard. And the body shop. And all on summer tires.

The biggest factors are experience and common sense. Common sense you either have or don't have...experience will only come with time. Traction control will sometimes help, but if you have no traction to begin with, it's useless. I've had to turn it off many times in snow to even get anywhere. Snow tires will make a huge difference as well.

Don't misunderstand me though...I'm not saying you can always drive no matter what. If you do use your Z as your only vehicle all year, you will have to arrange for alternate transportation a few days a year on average. For me this is an acceptable trade-off for the other 360+ days that I can enjoy driving the Z worry free.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:20 AM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess those south of the boarder are not as good drivers as up here in Canada. I drove my 1994 Porsche 968 with no traction controll for the past 4 winters with no problems at all...and we are talking Canadian Winters. Did I take it out durring a major storm? NO. Put on a set of winter tires, go to a performance driving school and you will be fine. Just do not drive it when the snow is more then a couple of inches. Bottom line is it is a Nissan, not a Ferrari. Its not like you will loose your pants in depreciation because it was winter driven. Just take care of it (clean it often) and drive within your limits. I plan of throwing on 225/45/18 Blizzak LP22 (I think thats the number) all around. Happy motoring

Last edited by bobbyz; 09-17-2002 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:32 AM
Sabre

Personal experience with RWD cars? Hope you like looking at your Z in the garage for 4 or 5 months. I will use it year round since it will be my only car. It just takes some careful driving that's all.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:52 AM
mydogscool

Well I guess you guys have never tried to drive a rear wheeler, with the big wide fat contact patch the Z has. Almost no traction or control, verrryy scary. TCS and VDC sill not help in heavy snow/ice. Drive a little sideways in traffic will have you sliding into some body else. If you stop on a slight to steep inclined, you will either stay there, or slide helplessly back. You will also be a target for other out of control cars.
My plymouth hoopty is rear wheel drive, and I go in the snow in pretty good. It however does not have a wide/low profile contact patch. That is what is going to ruin the winter/snow driving experience in the Z. Plus all of that salt/chemical/aggregate mixture. How do you say corrosion/cracked windshield. Spend $1000 on a winter beater.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:55 AM
jasonintoronto

wide contact patches are worse for ice and snow, thinner tires put more weight on a smaller contact patch for better traction. i'd recommend 17" rims with thin tires for winter tires (the smaller the better, just make sure the brakes fit in it).
Old 09-17-2002, 12:19 PM
KCZ

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryan,
I have lived in northern New England all my life, and I would not recommend a 350Z for winter driving. First of all, if you don't have much winter driving experience, you'll be better off with a FWD or AWD. Second, the low ground clearance (<5 inches) will make the 350Z useless after any significant snowfall. Third, you'll expose a really nice car to the corrosive effects of salt, in a climate where it's too cold to wash it off promptly, and also expose it to other drivers who may not know how to drive in snow either.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 PM
tbcz

Well I guess you guys have never tried to drive a rear wheeler, with the big wide fat contact patch the Z has.
Ummm...eight of those eleven winters I mentioned were in either a '91 300ZX or a '00 Z3...both of which sported 225/50 summer tires. Good in the snow? Of course not. Guaranteed accident? Only if you don't know how to drive in snow.

In my opinion the width and profile of a tire has very little to do with traction. The tire compound and tread design, along with the weight distribution, are larger factors. Just my opinion...
Old 09-17-2002, 01:06 PM
acid burn

Don't let those guys scare you. They haven't tried:

1. Buy winter ice and snow tires.
2. Learn how to drive a rear drive car.
3. Put extra weight in the back if needed.
4. The tires, you have to buy the tires.

I drive my sports cars in the winter. With appropriate tires and driving skill, I am driving circles around Mom with the minivan shod in all season tires.

To practice driving a rear drive car, go to an _empty_ parking lot covered in ice and snow. Turn _off_ the TCS/VDC and deliberately provoke wheel spin while turning. It's great fun, but you need to know exactly how the car feels when you lose it. And you need to learn how (and if) you can recover after you lose it. Practice braking in corners and straight line too.

Oh yeah, and when the snow gets higher than the ground clearance on the car, leave it at home.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:56 PM
tbcz

Default Re: Winter Driving

Originally posted by bryan
Hey guys-

I'm looking to purchase a new car sometime in early '03, after the winter season passes (this is my first driving experience in the winter, as I just moved to the east coast). I am really impressed with the 350Z, but i'm curious as to how it ill drive during the winter months.

Please feel free to shout out your opinions and thoughts. A car that can be driven in the winter is imperative, as I do not want to buy two separate cars =)

Thanks!
Sorry, I'm getting way off topic picking nits with mydogscool.

If you were to use the Z as your sole winter ride, you will have to have the flexibility to utilize other means of transportation when it snows more than a few inches. If you can reasonably swing having a POS beater for backup, then by all means do it...you will use it. If you can find out how many days it snows over 4-5" in your area, I would use that as a gauge as to how often you will not want to be driving. Here in Philly that's only been a few days a year, and it's easy for me to catch a ride with a friend to work. If you're going pretty much solo up there, and can't afford to miss work here and there, then you might want to consider your options. Snow tires and a few 45 lb. plates in the back will help, but it's still not a good idea to be driving in eight inches of snow in a Z.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:00 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the reason I ordered my Z was because I thought the front fenders would act as a GREAT snow-plow! And 287HP to push it away!

Are studded tires legal in Illinois?

Drove my FWD Jetta through the last 5 winters with the stock all season tires, and only missed work 1 day......not enough power to push 12" of snow out of my way. 6 hours latter, my alley was plowed.

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the GLX Jetta, with new tires and save the Z.

No Z yet, soooooooooooo too much time to get confused!
Old 09-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Lee3Z

I was born in Syracuse N.Y. so I know how to drive in snow. Sports cars are difficult to drive in snow but if you use common sense and give yourself adequate stopping distances you should be alright. The big problem in using a sports car like the 350Z is what the road salt will due to the car. Road salt will eat away at the finish and underbody parts muffler, tail pipes real fast causing rust and corrosion. After a couple of years your investment will decrease in value significantly. For these reasons I would advise buying a winter rat if you can afford to use during winter.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving